Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 dodge wiper arms/motor questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Oct 28, 2012.

1. I'm looking into upgrading my 1950 dodges wipers and upon closer inspection I noticed that the drivers side arm wouldn't seat completely on the splined shaft. So I took the arms and the little splined inserts out of the arms and I noticed that my two inserts are different and the two studs coming out of the cowl are completely different. I asked a friend of mine with a couple of 1950 plymouths and he said he's never seen anything like what I've got. It's a car that was completely original and un-fucked when I got it. I was just wondering if it is a 1950 dodge thing and if I'm going to have to track down the drivers side splined insert for the arm...

Do you fellas have any input??

2. my first thought is it has been messed with, they should match, and someone made a repair years ago.
    what month was the car built? it could be possible it was built during a change of styles... but i still think that wouldn't happen.
    have pictures?

3. No pics on me the car is 10 miles away at my shop. I want to get the Newport wiper electric motor conversion but I'm not dropping $200 until I can get some wiper arms on it!!!

Anyone with a 50 dodge able to look at their posts for me??

4. Bttt for the morning crew.

5. 4woody

4woody

Is it possible that one side has a spline adapter (to take it from a smaller diameter to a larger one) and the other side doesn't?

Look carefully to see if the fatter one has a hidden set screw.

Kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

SPW calls them "Knurls"

6. They both have splined adaptors, without them the shaft is the diameter of a pencil. But the splines that the adaptors slide onto are different from side to side...

7. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Anco wiper blades used to (still do?) include adaptors from small-spline to larger splined shafts with their "universal wiper arms"...part #41-01, 41-02 & 41-03.

Hope that helps....

8. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

9. Drivers side

Attached Files:

10. Passenger side...

The drivers side has an extra "gear" on it... Is the passenger side supposed to have it too??? I also noticed that any slight pressure on the passenger side causes the splined shaft to fall through the hole into the car. The drivers side won't budge...

Attached Files:

11. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

See my ebay link, above. Looks like the drivers side has the adaptor already on it.

12. Definitely no adaptor like that on it. My posts aren't threaded like all the books say they are supposed to be. I've been talking to roberts motor parts and have sent him pics of my set up and am waiting for a response. He lists adaptors like the eBay ones in his catalogue and website. Those adaptors even come with brand new anco wiper arms but they require a 1/4x20 threaded post. They don't even show posts like mine in the old anco book at the mom and pops auto parts store I go to....

13. TTT anyone??

Maybe some pics from a couple plymouth owners on here???

14. I'll give it one more try then let this thread slip into oblivion....

Anyone have any pice of your moparts stock wiper setup on the cowl with your blades removed???

15. i have some spare for a 50 plymouth i won't be able to get a pic untill tomorrow tho.

16. I'm not sure if my dodge is wider.... But a pic would be great!