Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pontiac bell housing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leroy 701, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

I'm looking for a bellhousing that fits on a 389 to run a 4 speed. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? What engines would share the same bell housings as the 389. I was told that a 5.7 chevy deisel from the 80's is the same??
    Thanks!

2. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

I'm thinkin that any BOP bellhousing from the sixties should work...They all had four speeds and the same bell housing pattern.............

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Olds 400, 425 and 455 are the same.

Pat

4. If your motor is 64-up, any BOP bell will work. Chevy diesels use the same bell as any other Chevy.

64 blocks usually have the starter ear but it's not always drilled or if drilled not always tapped.

Earlier than that, it gets more confusing, 61-64 is one pattern, 55-60 is slightly different. Both use a starter that bolts to the bellhousing - 64 is the changeover year, and while the block was upgraded for the change to mount the starter on it, they used up the older trans stuff. 63 and older blocks have nothing to mount a starter to on the block.

So it depends what year your 389 is - they made them 59-67 (66?) with three different bolt patterns.

5. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

my motor is a 1966 model. I dont suppose an 64 olds 350 from a cutlass world work would it?

6. swe64

swe64

starter is the problem you have a starter on engine not on trans so it will work
    ken
    sweden

7. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

Also the starter pocket is on opposite sides. The buick is on the passenger side and the Olds/Pontiac is on the drivers side. There were some "BOP" bell housings made with pockets on both sides, hence the "BOP" designation. The BOP also includes the Cadillac with the same parttern when they changed over.

8. Leroy 701

Leroy 701

Thanks for the responses, score another one for the Hamb.
    A fellow hamber is gonna hook me up with a BOP bellhousing, very nice sure appreciate it.
    I"m still looking for a clutch setup btw

9. Just make sure that the starter bulge is on the drivers side or both. I think all buicks had both bulges but this wont make a difference in your case.