Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nash Metro Auto Trans Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrFalcon62, Oct 21, 2012.

1. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

So, my wife and I just purchased a 1961 Nash Metropolitan. She wants to rebuild the original engine, but she would like to ditch the 3 spd and put an automatic in it.

Does anyone know what automatic tranny would fit...or can somebody direct me to somebody that might know?

thanks

2. R Pope

R Pope

Metro's never had automatics, and I don't think Austin ever used one in the A40 which was what the Metro was based on. That little peppermill engine wouldn't like the power loss though a slushbox.

3. teejay99

teejay99

No trans necessary ...try large rubber band , like a model airplane .:):D

T

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

my family has several of these (3 currently--2 original and 1 pro-street SBF v-8 version) and i've never seen one with the orginal engine and an A/T. that's not to say they're not out there, but unless your stuck on the original motor it might be easier to swap the whole motor/trans assembly for something else. Personally I like the idea of the thunderbird turbocoupe motor/trans--or maybe if you're feeling really frisky the toyota mini-hemi's. but there's plenty of other small RWD mills that should fit and work well.

FWIW it's the same motor as a MG midget, but again I don't think they had a AT version of that either--the disc brakes will interchange, though.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

http://www.mocna.us/

somebody here's bound to be able to help. they have had some great tech through the years.

6. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

8. electromet

electromet
    from Tucson, AZ

I've seen one with an auto. I believe it was a Borg Warner T35. Same transmission used in early Datsun 510s and Austin Marinas ('73ish). I don't know if it's a direct bolt-in, but the bellhousings should match up.

Mike

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I said earlier in the thread I had one of those when I was 18 and I'd highly suggest not using the stock engine if she plans to drive it on a daily or regular basis. They don't have a rear seal on the crank shaft and relie on threads on the crankshaft that run in the block to keep the oil in the pan.
    The engines didn't don't have a lot of power with the three speeds and might not pull an automatic very well.
    I'm thinking a little 1600 out of an early Pinto or Capri with an automatic behind it would be a pretty nice engine/trans for that car and give it enough poop to get out and go. There are also a few speed goodies for those engines. It would also be one you should be able to readily find parts for.

10. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Metros used the Austin A engine. This engine was made in various versions from 1200 to 1800cc and used in various BMC cars up to the seventies.

In 1961 they began offering an automatic trans in family sedans with this engine. Austin A60, Wolseley, Morris, MG, Riley and others. I think the last rear wheel drive car with this engine and automatic was the Austin Marina of the seventies.

The transmission was the Borg Warner 35 which was used in most English cars that offered automatics, not to mention Studebaker, AMC and other cars. Parts are still available.

I haven't seen an Austin Marina in years but if you could find one with an automatic it would be the easiest swap. Use the engine and trans, the engine is nearly the same as yours in external appearance but has many internal improvements like 5 main bearings and larger displacement of 1800 cc.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012