Register now to get rid of these ads!

X Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Oct 22, 2012.

1. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I've got a lead on a flathead. The only label on it is just an "X". I tried doing a search on here, but came up with nothing. Anyone know what this means? Also, it comes with mercury heads. Are those higher compression than Ford?

2. tig master

tig master
    from up north

How about a picture we aren't mind readers.More info needed!!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that how the add is written or ? Flathead covers a wide spectrum and not just V8 Fords.

4. banjorear

banjorear

59 X? Is this X cast into the top of the bellhousing?

5. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

The guy I bought my sport coupe from had it laying in his garage. I didn't look at it too closely, I'm just about broke now.

Yes, it's a V-8.

Kind of a cool story, it was used as a pump engine at an old mill! I believe it was for a water pump in case of a fire. They used to start it up once a month to make sure it was still working.

But I believe he said the head on it had an "X" on it instead of "59AB" or "8BA" would be.

He said it ran great when he got it (20+ years ago). But sounds like it spent some time sitting outside with no plugs in it. No idea why that happened, but it did.

6. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Sorry Tig, didnt have my camera with me. But I may be making a trip over to his place sometime.

7. So you really DID get that Sport Coupe.... what kinda shape was the regular Coupe body next to it in?

8. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

It was really nice and very gone! This sport coupe is a hell of a mess, but I do enjoy a challenge. Some guy from Redding got it. I guess their phone was ringing non-stop, haha.

9. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I recall now that he said the "X" was on the block itself. My dad has a 53 with the same stamping on it. Is that an indication that it's from a truck? Both engines were from trucks

10. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Damn. I saw "X Flathead" and thought you might have found one of these! The Ford Flathead X-8- it was experimental in the late 1920s and inevitably led to the V8 that we know today. Supposedly, Ford's drive to make this a usable and reliable engine is part of the reason the 1932 Ford's production was delayed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry to digress!

11. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Wow! Very interesting! Thank you for sharing! Now that would be a hell of a find, indeed!

12. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The 30 cylinder (5 banks of 6) Chrysler A57 Tank motor would be an interesting find too.
    The title got me excited for a moment.
    [​IMG]

13. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

30 cyls..... I'd like to hear it run !!!!!!!!! What was the cu.in. of that critter ?

4TTRUK

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That Mopar Tank Engine is on display at the Chrysler Museum in Sterling Heights, MI.

Great museum to visit if you are in the area.

Ray

15. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

A number of years ago the Henry Ford Museum had two or three auctions. One of those engines was sold along with a couple other old concept./display engines.

16. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I don't know this for sure, but I heard that museum was closed.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That alarmed me! So, I just called their toll free number. They are closed on Mondays, but open Tuesday thru Sunday..........

And, I was in error about the exact location, the Museum is in Auburn Hills,......not Sterling Heights as I stated in earlier post....though those communities are close together.

Ray

18. Mercury heads are the compression ratio as the Ford heads.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back to the flathead that ran the pump. If it sat outside with the plugs out for a long period of time I'd think it is worth what it's weight will bring across the scales plus 20.00 I sold a similar flathead for 100 a while back simply because it had 100 worth of stuff on and with it including starter, flywheel and clutch, generator and the small pieces. Chances are it has been full of water and is rusted solid.

20. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Thanks for verifying. I live in the area and still haven't gone there.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't remember cubes but each engine was 90hp so 450hp total minus some for gear loss..Looks like a pretty large package..This is neat too..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5uSx3eFYU