Register now to get rid of these ads!

What could have caused this paint to crack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingofthecrate, Oct 20, 2012.

1. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

pulled my cover off the fairlane today and dropped my beer and cursed like a trucker.. that fender was recently painted and the paint looks very thick.. Im guessing he applied it too heavy and it split? or not enough hardener? Im not paint guy.. so Im looking for some ideas here and what to avoid when I sand it down and spray it myself

[​IMG]

2. EdselRich

EdselRich

3. royalbopper

royalbopper
    from Sweden

A to thick layer of bondo that didn´t cure enough before painting maybe?

Sigge!

4. looks like body filler did not adhere to the metal, or someone piled on the high build primer. Either way no adhesion, maybe rust behind it.

5. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

problems with whats under there , as in incompatible old paint job..sometimes the old paint will move around at a differant rate to the new , thats why expensive jobs go back to bare metal

and /or way too much products

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Is this the only place the paint job failed? If so, looks like an old repair area with too much paint material over it, and poor paint prep. Peel back the paint with a putty knife, and study the chip in a good light. Does it look shiny & smooth, is there spot putty in or around the crack?:eek:

I'd look over the entire paint job for any other cracks, remove the trim & feather the paint well back of the repair area . It will require many coats of primer surfacer to build up the repair area. Just be sure you sand and featheredge the repair well.

Sadly, this may not be the only area you'll have problems with this paint job:mad:

" A government by the people, for the people '' my ass!

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not enough curing time/hardener, or incompatable products. Or trapped moisture, possibly...filler, primer, and/or paint applied in a high-humidity environment. Later, car sits in the sun, moisture expands and cracks the finish.

8. Lpdesignz

Lpdesignz
    from Sin city

That sucks and a number of things could have happened like mentioned above... I'm guessing moisture myself in the bondo or paint below it... A band aid fix would be a couple dabs of superglue behind it to hold it back down.."heat gun to help it dry fast and flex without cracking" not gonna look perfect but it will hold for awhile and keep it from flaking off until you can get it repaired correctly...

9. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

YEah I forgot to mention that whole quarter panel got replaced.. was it a new q/p? I am not sure... but yeah for the mean time its getting monkey glued and I am sanding the entire q/p back down to metal and a buddy of mine who is a set painter are gonna do it correctly in the back yard. I guess a lot of these suggestions would merit the truth.. so I guess the ever old saying "you want it done right, do it yourself" comes back to smack me in the theft

10. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Too much material. Be it filler, or primer that didn't cure properly.

11. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

SHiney and smooth for sure.. no putty behind the paint at all. looks almost as if it didnt bond to the surface material and from the heat to the cold we have had here in Los Angeles, I am guess she shifted like a fat girl farting in a wooden seat and CRACK

The paint looks good everywhere else. Like I said that left rear quarter panel was just painted and thats where the problem lies.