Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jman1976, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Jman1976

Jman1976

This is kind of a dumb question so I hope I don't get flamed to bad. I have a 57 283 with a aluminum pg that I am putting in my Model A. I really like the look of a unboxed frame. The motor will have a hurt mount up front and If I make a very stout x member will it be ok to not box the frame?
    Thanks,
    Jackson

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

An X-member would certainly help the frame. But unboxed "A" frames are insanely easy to twist. Im sure even a stock 283 has considerably more power than flathead V8s that are seen in stock frames. With that said, if you drive like an 80 old woman it may be ok. If you are inclined to kick the car sideways every once in a while or do an occasional burn out, i personally wouldnt do it. Unless re-aligning doors and fixing cracked paint is your favorite hobby.:D

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

X2 on boxing the frame. I just boxed my stock frame. It's amazing how much stronger the frame is even with the stock cross members. There is no way I would put anything bigger than a banger motor in a stock A frame without boxing it.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Box it, or you'll be sorry.

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

6. You can inset the boxing plates about 3/8". This will give you a stronger weld because you will not have to do any finish grinding. You also need an "X" member to resist torsional flexing on the long axis.

7. Jman1976

Jman1976

I was looking through this thread "Projects Guernsey boys model A coupe build". Which I love this car and he decided not to box his frame with basically the same set up as me. I sent him a pm to see how it is unboxed.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. jimbousman

jimbousman

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
    Confucius

9. walls

walls

I would say you need to box it. I'm definitely not an expert however, the past three weeks I've been reading on the topic. I've had a stock model A and one with a 283 in the past. I'm currently building one with a banger. I've decided even though the HP doesn't warrant it, it will make for a more solid car in the end. (door won't fly open on hard turns)
    The chevy's about 4 or 5 times more powerful in stock condition. Once you change carbs, cam, possibly heads, etc...
    I think you get the idea.

10. wallyringo

wallyringo

Im no expert i too am planning on a model a build, if you have the car in pieces, the body off the frame might as well box the frame. Are you going to channel the body, make a high boy?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was planning on insetting the boxing plates as Bib overalls suggested on mine.
    At least a couple of the vendors who sell boxing plates sell them both ways. To be welded flush or inset. I'm not sure that saving 50 or 60 dollars is worth the time and effort to cut them out of plate myself either.

That is with an 8BA flathead that will be pretty well stock.