Register now to get rid of these ads!

No room for a radiator blues...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fxcomet, Oct 18, 2012.

1. fxcomet

fxcomet

Anyone know of a source for a radiator in the 15" x16" range? The room under the nose of my 33 Willys is next to nothing. I did a forum search and read about possibly looking at forklift radiators, but not sure. Multiple motorcycle radiators? Just throwing stuff out there to see what you folks suggest.

2. Well how much motor are you trying to cool ?
    Street car ?

3. fxcomet

fxcomet

Chevy 348, approx 375-400 HP. Street car, some strip.

4. I suspect you will have trouble keeping it cool, just not enough radiator cooling area. Air flow through the radiator is just as critical, and with a fairly big 348, there may not be good air exit after it passes through the radiator.

Back in 81 as senior in high school I built a V8 Vega. I always had trouble keeping it cool enough, even with a A/C Vega radiator that was rebuilt to four core thickness. Soon as I would get slow speed traffic it would start to heat up. Knowing what i do now the solution would be a strong elec fan to help the mech fan.

I do not know of any radiator the size you need, but you might search the junkyard with a tape measure. May find a radiator around the size you need. Or talk to one of the custom radiator mfrs, they might make one custom size for you if you give dimensions.

5. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Just run a bunch of heater cores ;)

Doug, try going to a NAPA or some other Parts store and ask them if you can look at their radiator book. The guys at the Bumper to Bumper by us let me look through theirs.
    Good luck bud
    What would the ideal dimensions be?

6. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

check speedway motors-sprint car or midget-may work.also check out your local heavy equipment rental place,some narrow radiators in lifts and digging equipment.

7. aaggie

aaggie

Try www.afcoracing.com , their catalog sells all types of radiators down to 9" x 13" made for drag cars. Speedway sends me their catalog and they specialize in circle track stuff. Good luck.

8. Think about some of the modern car crossflow radiators turned sideways. Many of them don't have a cap, so it wouldn't matter which way you ran it.

9. fxcomet

fxcomet

Much appreciated, everyone! I plan on a mechanical fan with a pusher, just to be on the safe side, providing there's space. When I bought the car, it had a huge radiator mounted behind the front seats with a 2500cfm puller exiting the air out the bottom of the car (seriously!). It ran cool as can be in traffic, but the vacume of the air going under the car kept the fan from pulling out the air and it overheated big time at steady speeds above 40 MPH. I'll give your suggestions a shot.

10. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

11. Leakie

Leakie

Try PRC, they custom make almost anything..... and they do an excellent job.

www.prchotrod.com

12. 62rebel

62rebel

wasn't the old standby for this application the MGB radiator?

13. kyot4x4

kyot4x4

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've only had one custom radiator built... pricy but worth it and of course the pros know what they are doing. He calculated the cooling requirements based on the factory engine specs (he had some magic books to use for this, no computer!). My motor was stock and I even had the donor radiator core for him to see. So, based on the dimensions I provided in my mock-up, and his calcs, he told me up front he could make a radiator that would work ok. No guessing. Plus you can pick your inlet / outlet sizes and locations, drain locations, sensor bungs, xmsn or A/C cooling, etc. Definitely worth a look. Gary

15. 39 Ford

39 Ford

An old time real radiator shop should be able to make you one.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I built a '74 Chevy Luv with a V8 for my Father. I tried the stock radiator, recored to a 4 row. It didn't work so I had them make me a radiator to cool it. It ran so cool, the heater wouldn't get hot.

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I pick up a new alum rad for my own rod a month ago,and am very happy with it,shipped was only $170 total,from " radiatorwarranty" on ebay. I looked at a lot of def ones first. One place I looked maybe some one to check out also;
    http://www.americaneagleradiator.com/aer_11-26-10_005.htm
    There site looked pretty complete on info.
    Any rear rad mount is asking for all kind of extra prob. from air pockets to high heat in cockpit or scallding hot water ect.

18. That's not the radiator causing your heater to not get hot
    Just saying

19. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

One other thing which nobody seemed to mention. There may be a either a Gasser or Willys website out there where someone with a 33 ran into the same problem. Might want to try that

20. George

George

You could put a Corvair engine in it.....

21. yblock292

yblock292

I've used portell radiators in desoto mo. numerous times for custom built radiators with real good luck

22. Jeep
    MGBs got used but a lot of old willys were running jeep radiators, the 6 cylinder radiator was the thickest. We are talking old Willys Overland jeeps here.

23. It may not be practical on your car, but I had a modern street bike that had a small radiator on each side of the engine, with bodywork that routed air through them.

Could you mount a smaller unit in each fenderwell and use an electric puller fan mounted on the tire side? It would pull fresh air through the grille and engine bay and out the front wheel well.

Just a thought.....

24. Afcoracing.com has one 23 x 18 for a T-bucket, but they will also custom build.

25. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

In my opinion; get a good aluminum radiator. I use a local company TAPP, they do a lot NASCAR stuff, the do great work. http://www.tappinc.net/index.html

Also, I wouldn't run a pusher fan, it does more harm than good.

Adding a good oil cooler and mounting in area other than the radiator area will also help to cool the engine.

26. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Why not leave the back radiator and run a small front one? You can run through both.

I tried the rear radiator thing on my truck and had the exact same problem. It would overheat going down the road and start cooling off when I stopped. I put my front radiator back in because I didn't want to mess around building air scoops during cruising season. So now I have the best of both worlds. The front one keeps it cool going down the road and the rears cool it when I stop. Btw I don't even run a fan on the front one just the rears.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you can find a little more room a Griffin 2-25135-X should cool it fine. I have one in my little Austin gasser with a 327 that's a bit over 400 hp. and it cools even in traffic on a hot day just fine. The Griffin is 17"w x 18"t x 3" thick. It's $265 at Summit.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-2-25135-X/
    I have very little grille opening, and a tight stock area and it fits fine. I'm surprised the Willys doesn't have more space than my tiny Austin has?

28. deerchooper

deerchooper

i would have to measure mine but its a 65 mustang radiator in from of a 455 olds. its the 2 core design.

29. The other answer to your problem is not the radiator.
    you should look into adding more coolant as a buffer,meaning add longer re routed hoses'and even a small hold tank- to allow your coolant capacity to be increased...this will add a lot of cooling with the same radiator you now have.

30. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

How about running E85 or methanol.