Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Results from an Old Ford Auction in MN , and a 40 coupe gets destroyed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Oct 17, 2012.

1. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

damn looking at that just made me really sad and kind of sick to my stomach

2. duece

duece
    from australia

fix it hammer dollie oxy acet blood sweat maybe some lead three late nites few beers sour mash Hank Senior what fuckin damage

3. ChefMike

ChefMike

that is such a shame . The guy must be heart broken sorry

4. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

5. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Many people would just be better off to hire somebody to haul things for them. They just don't have the know how to pull a trailer. They don't know about weight distribution, securing the load or how to drive with something behind them once they are on the road. Some of them are just plain scary to be on the same road with.

Sucks about the 40, I've always wanted one. Somebody can fix it.

6. 1932 B went for 29K ...

I was tentatively scheduled to haul that car but the price
    exceeded the 25K budget of the bidder ...

I heard folks were camped out night before

Model A new old stock fender went for more than $2000 ???

Jim

7. Sad to see a nice car in that condition,,regardless of what happened or who is to blame,,that car could be repaired,it would be beyond my capabilities but there are a lot of guys here that could do it.

I hope the owned had sufficient insurance to cover the loss and the salvage company sets a realistic price so someone has the opportunity to resurrect the poor old sedan. HRP

8. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Which brings up the question: What is the proper method to secure a vehicle you are hauling? Straps, chains, tire saddles, secure the rear axle or tie to frame? I have towed a lot and have often wondered how secure my trailered vehicle would be in a sudden manuever or stoppage. Any pro hauler suggestions?

9. ...man, those were a nice bunch of old Fords, too bad about the 40 but I'll bet it'll be saved for sure; lots of guys have the skills.

10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Looks like it has a surge brake rather than elec, it has a flat 4 prong plug on it not a 7 pin that would indicate elec brakes.
    Like someone said I hope he had insurance on it.

11. All of those cars looked real nice. Too bad about the '40 Ford. If he hadn't gotten creamed he may have made it home okay and in 1 piece.

If the insurance doesn't payoff... I'd be taking up some serious drinkin'....

Bob

12. Always secure to the axles and let the suspension absorb the road rash and bumps. The car has likely slid because it wasn't tied down properly and more than likely was the cause of the whole accident. Why you'd use ratchet straps to hold down a car is beyond me too..He was asking for this from the time he loaded this car. As for the salvage, any one of us HAMBers from Ontario would be glad to have a car this good to start with I'm sure.. A few pulls here and there, lots of hammer and dolly , unlike most of the cars we have here that don't have anything left from the doorhandles down to even hit with a hammer and dolly.. Most of the good ones we had left here were turned upside down in a creek bed somewhere so that the roof's could eventually rot off them too.. Thoughtful bunch . Take your lumps and get fixing ...Insurance company isn't gonna do much good to you at this point.

13. Da Injun

Da Injun

I cannot even imagine..well yes I can, if this car was wrecked after the person driving the Buick SUV ran a stop sign and hit this truck, trailer, and car. What the hell was this jack ass doing? Talking on the Phone? To miss a stop sign and somehow not see a car obviously coming at a good pace toward him at the intersection is scary. Poor guy? Poor guy in the SUV. Glad the ass that caused this wreck is o.k. though. And sorry about that 40 Ford as well.

Just trying to keep it honest, because most of you asses would have BITCHED if someone else caused this wreck!!

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:D:D Born in 1948 ( so I am 64 )
    OLD is someone about 20 years older than you !!

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

16. Model T1

Model T1

As Paul Harvey woulda said "now we know the rest of the story."
    From what I read the guy with the truck, trailer, and 40 Ford ran a stop sign not far from the auction. Probably so happy and preocupied he wasn't paying attention. Possibly calling home on his cell phone to relay the good news. But shouldn't really jump to conclusions. We weren't there so anything coulda happened.
    The SUV driver hit the tail end of the trailer causing the truck to go out of control. After that, nature took over. No amount of straps, chains, or trailer brakes would saved the car. As they say, shit happens and it sure did for this guy.
    40 Fords are one of my favorite, but any old car in that condition is tough to see wrecked. Sadly no matter what becomes of it it is no longer a low mileage survivor.
    Someday it will be on the road again. Amazing all the low mileage Fords that farmer had. Must have been too busy plantin corn to drive them.

OLD? When I retired I thought 55 was older than dirt. Be 74 in a short time and still pissin people off.

17. sorry to see the 40 beat the hell up but still fixable with a new roof.

18. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

65 is sure as hell NOT old!.......I'm 65! Age is no excuse for poor driving and poor securing!

19. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

He could be one of those people that just have to yank out in front of you at the last second. A lot of them don't even seem to bother to stop at a stop sign. He forgot he had a trailer on and was longer and the acceleration was slower. I deal with those kind of people every day, they don't take into consideration what 80 or 90 thousand pounds will do to them if the truck driver coming down the road happens to sneeze or is somehow other unable to jam on the brakes. A second or two just isn't worth taking a chance.

I drove a few 10 car transporters in the past and we would chain the cars down with as much load on the suspension as we could. Diving down a bumpy road with ten vehicles bouncing up and down would probably be about like pulling a livestock pot. I've done that also and you can feel the cattle moving about.

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang!! the ball is still in the bulldog hitch!!!

[​IMG]

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You must have missed the part where the guy with the trailer ran a stop sign. If he didn't see the stop sign, how the hell would he see a car coming?

The only asses here are the people who don't read a thread before posting a shit rant.

22. Karl stark

Karl stark

Not to take anything away from what happened here, but these pictures remind me of when the Rod and Custom Dream Truck wound up in a ditch after the pickup towing it had a blow out.

23. Model T1

Model T1

We weren't there and have no idea why the old man with the trailer and 40 Ford ran the stop sign. At least no one was killed or badly injured. Never really heard about any bodily damage of any occupants of either vehicle. The cars and truck can be replaced.
    If you look closely at those pictures of how those straps were hooked only around the bumpers, that car would have never made it to California anyway.
    My best friend bought a 1940 Mercury convertible that was headed from California to Illinois. The guy with the light truck and a flatbed lost control on a gravel curve out west. He jack knifed and flipped the trailer. That 40 Merc had some bent top bows and one dented fender. Mostly the front header. Mind you, this was a convertible and my buddy redid it with hardly any problems.
    Apparantly that truck and possibly the SUV, was really movin on. Gives us all things to think about.

24. Model T1

Model T1

I followed that build from start to finish in R & C. Almost cried when the accident happened.

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

I wasn't sure about posting this at first...Kind of like a train wreck...everybody wants to see it. But It brings to light safe towing and it has spurred a new thread on how to properly tie a car down.

So as crappy as it probably is for this guy to have his story plastered all over cyberspace hopefully he would agree that it could save someones car in the future or perhaps a life.

If anyone knows the area of the country where this auction was you would agree you can see the curvature of the earth it's so flat, and wide open. Hard to imagine what happened but it really doesn't matter.

I agree that the 40 is repairable...It woudl be a sweet car with a new carpenter roof, maybe quarters

Here is a parting shot of the hitch. I covered the plate. Tremendous forces involves to shear this.

Be Safe!

Attached Files:

26. Model T1

Model T1

Like I mentioned, both drivers had to be moving fast. Most of us didn't insult either driver. After all, it was an accident, even though possibly avoidable. If it were me I'd be happy to help save others from a possible rerun.
    The thread on proper tie downs got a lot of attention too. I considered a thread like that several weeks ago. Been other discussions about towing and tieing down vehicles.
    We say we don't want our cars to be trailer queens but when buying a project or moving away it becomes necessary. Several of my cars were trailered, once. If it's needed, they will be trailered again.

27. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Must have been a hell of a ride in that truck after the trailer got clobbered! Pretty unusual to have a trailer hitch ball and the plate its bolted to come off a hitch like that one did!

I had a buddy that lost control of a 1 ton dully pulling a car trailer with a 64 Ford on the trailer. That one went down into a ditch and rolled the trailer with the car still strapped on, and the rolling trailer pulled the truck over. That car never came off the trailer, and the hitch never broke. I believe all 3 of those were totaled as well. The 64 was repaired, the truck and trailer were scrapped out.

Point is, this guys hitch broke, that 40 Ford didn't stand a chance coming out undamaged. Gene

28. metal man

metal man

How many UNoriginal miles are on it?;)

29. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

After reading everyones comments about straps and chains I have to make a comment. I have been using straps on cars for over 20 years. I usually hook on the frame and pull down on the suspension. Never had a problem.
    Now just to let you know I haul 35-70 foot utility poles on a flatbed and we use straps. I use chains when I haul 20,000+ lbs copper reels.
    It sucks that someone lost a nice 40 like that one, but it sounds like no one was seriously hurt.