Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block Chevy guys...what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

I'm subscribing to this one just so I can get some closure. After 8 pages of God knows what, I need to know for sure! haha

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Tarantula was AVAILABLE as an air gap intake late in its run, called a Scorpion/Tarantula (Not the same intake as a Scorpion, although it looks very similar), but they are relatively rare, and by far the majority of Tarantulas do not have the air gap.
    I am seeing alot about the Scorpion here, so I will add a little background on that, the Scorpion was designed for really high (like 8,000-9,000) race single 4 bbl small blocks, has a considerably bigger plenum and runners than the tarantula, primarily designed for 1x4 modified production applications like AHRA GT-2 and GT-3, and NHRA B/SM and C/SM.

3. coupemerc

coupemerc

Yeah, after I posted I went looking for images of the Tarantula. I could not find one with an air gap. Sorry for the confusion. My memory is not what I thought...second thing to go.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

no $#!T
    :cool:

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

I just checked through my files on this motor and found another photo (it was blurry and not post-worthy) that shows this rectangle.

It IS a "TORKER" intake. Very good eye :)

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

If anything, this will give me plenty of great information.....and you all with some great entertainment! :D

7. The 3970010 indicates a 4-inch bore block, which a 350, 327 or 302 all have and could have used the 3970010 block as the basis. The indications are this is a later large journal block and the pistons are for a 3.48 inch stroke, meaning 350 cu inch engine.

Without the exact casting date, or hopefully the ID stamp in front, it is speculation as to what the orig engine was. Regardless of that the engine looks to be a nice 70's style high performance build with the good for the time heads and some fairly good compression. Need the valve covers off to see the head casting dates and if screw-in studs or what the valve springs look like. Wonder if it has solids lifters?

I am interested to find out if the engine has the stamped ID numbers. If it is an orig LT-1 it could be worth some bucks to a restorer. Or a good basis for a performance engine for anyone.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being too honest here, especially for this tough crowd, I got a really good vibe from this thing just scammin all the pics and doing some digging of my own. You got some good info here n there as well as some dollar-free entertainment. The cam is anyone's guess w/out tearing it down, but just on what's posted and now known it would seem your gramps built a bad ass high rev 350 back in the day. The carb is most likely a 750, I'm guessing with the oring job compression's a tad north of 11:1 and the builder deemed it necessary to do that. On the upside of that deal it could be just begging for a conservative shot of happy gas now n then too. It really is too bad you're on the other side of the country. I'm fighting the urge to make a 6 day road trip, I don't have a freakin car to put it in! Well, not yet at least.

From the FWIW dept, I also have a late "010" 350 from a 78 Corvette. Yes, a real live "Vette Motor" jerked from one of those lethargic L-82s that was serving duty in a SWB C-10 for a bit. My damper is also a bit small, small enough to fake the uninitiated into saying it's a 327:cool:

Back to yours, off the top of my head I'm thinkin that ol thing makes power up to or beyond 7500, and being a 350 would feel like BBC TQ in a light car geared right. I can see it now, Model A cpe or roadster on Deuce rails, 8pt roll bar, 3.90 gears, ladder bar/coil over suspension, hairpin front axle, Super T-10, 10.20s all day around 130+MPH. Hey, I can dream right?

9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

10. Model T1

Model T1

I can see it now, Model A cpe or roadster

See----More proof it must be a Ford 350 rear dizzy engine. And those people in the home said I was crazy!:eek:
    The distributors were put in the back so they wouldn't get wet in all those hoodless Fords.

11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Considering that the engine was saved & the car was sold, I'm sure it was an impressive "mover". Nobody o-ringed anything unless they were serious. I wonder if it has a GM "Off Road" mechanical cam.

In any case, I bet that thing was a screamer.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If we think it through, that combination may have needed a slower WFO application. Using an OEM style 750 would be a good cure to a flat spot but still quick enough to get the full flow depending on diaphram springs, tuning, etc. Not all 750s got the center hung floats, especially the OEM version. Also my guess was just that. A guess based on the rest of what can be seen and what appears to be a well thought build.

That's as nice as I can be BTW. Some who know me well might actually consider you lucky?:eek::eek::cool:

13. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

and i thank you for being nice . there is a serious of numbers on the upper edge
    that indicates a GM number...
    an a way we are ALL guessing and the list number WILL tell (most of the story)

again you deserve my respect and you have it SIR HIGHLANDER

:cool:

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was picturing it in a t-bucket with WIIIIDE deep dish Cragars or Ansen Sprints on the back, an M-22, and some wild Art Himsl style ribbon graphics. Then he just needs some bell-bottoms, disco boots, a 'fro and a floor-mounted Craig 8-track with a Sly and the Family Stone tape. STYLIN"!:D

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Seems I remember back in the day before they were called 750's it would have been a 780 list 3310 and would have been center hung bowls ala 350 lt-1's right? Lippy

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you my friend. I would say that you, TR, Falcongeorge and a few others have given me the most conservative estimate as to what I have here.

Sadly, I don't know the back story on the motor....at to WHY he had it built and WHY he chose to swap it into the Shelby, you would think the Carrol Shelby prepared 289 Hi-Po would have plenty of get-up. He was an enthusiast and sought that car out. Bought it new from Marv Tonkin Ford in Portland in Dec, 1966. Paid $3,700 for it (plus a $200 trade in on his '57 Olds 88). Always kept it garaged and was a little scared to drive it and leave it anywhere...for fear if it being messed with. For this reason, I just can't understand WHY he would have swapped engines?

His best friend (our family dentist as kids) told me that he always found it funny..."Your Grandpa always liked fast and powerful cars....but drove like an old lady" :rolleyes:

He did do allot of drag racing in his youth, but on the road he might have been this way.

I know he "got on it" a few times. Mom and Dad went for a ride like that when they were first dating....said he could chirp the tires in all 4 gears.

Other then that...I don't think it was abused much if at all.

It is ONLY a 6 day trip ...:D

17. MrModelT

MrModelT

NOW...we're talkin'! :D ....Or a really clean '62 to '65 Chevy II as a nasty sleeper :rolleyes:

18. MrModelT

MrModelT

...heck, I could just put it in my T...

[​IMG]

:D

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

add a muncie, 4.10s, Cragar SS's with G-60 15s, yellow lakewood bars, a Sun Super Tach angled towards the driver on the top center of the dash, and you will have a period-perfect clone of any one of about a dozen cars you would have seen running around my hometown in the mid-late seventies.

20. Model T1

Model T1

...heck, I could just put it in my T...

NO NO NO! Not in our T....! I confess, it's a Chevy engine. It belongs in a Chevy !

21. Deuces

Deuces

Nope!... Not for a second... I've built plenty of both to know the difference...:rolleyes:

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

That sounds good too. How about some steelies and a set of redlines for a late 60's look?

What? :eek: .....this doesn't work for ya?

[​IMG]

:rolleyes: :D

23. Deuces

Deuces

He's a few fries short of a happy meal...;)

24. Model T1

Model T1

It really does look like that engine belongs in that T. But won't it run a little hot with no water hoses?
    I didn't think those orange Ford engines came out in Fords till around 1932, the year of the Ford V-8's.
    Notice I said V-8's. A few had some kinda flathead engine in them. The good ones had these orange Ford engines with the distributors in the rear to protect them from radiators boiling over and shorting them out like this one's gonna do;).

25. wibble_1979

wibble_1979

I have a 56 chevy truck it would look really good in I will be home on leave end of next month. If you decide to sell it let me know what you want for it so I can squerrel the money away before the other half sniff's it out.

26. Deuces

Deuces

I love that band....:D
    Boom! laka laka....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  27. Model T1

Model T1

Originally Posted by BOOB [​IMG]
    What the hell are you talking about? I'm worried about you sir. I read this as you're dead serious. If you're joking you're doing a poor job.

Coincidentally a good old friend was a NAPA mechanic back home and he went by the name of Boob. He was sorta strange but he taught me a lot about engines. In fact he worked on my two 1939 Ford flathead engines.
    Dueces, the 39 Ford I own now has one of those orange Ford engines in it. At my age all of this gets a little confusing. That's why the good people in this home wearing those white coats let me use this computer now and then. :D

28. Deuces

Deuces

So, they came and took you away haha... :D:eek:

29. Zykotec

Zykotec

I've seen loads of those early Ford v8's. I think they improved the heads from 32 on though, because all the T23's with them same engines needed huge chromed blowers to breathe well :p

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

me too. And they are "period correct".:D