Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Mobster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Timpanzee, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Timpanzee

Timpanzee

Here are a few photos of The Mobster. A '31 Chevy Sedan I picked up yesterday. I'm not going to cut anything, Just want to replace the front axle with a 3" over dropped, lower the rear (on blocks?) and fit some 17" spoke wheels, colour undecided (quite like the orange of the originals) and white-walls. I'm keeping the Stove-bolt.
    I want to rake it with big and little tyres. I figured, given the bulk of the car, 17" wheels would work better than 16" proportion-wise. Anyone have any tyre size suggestions for me? Also does anyone in the UK happen to have a spare axle stashed away among their collection of hen's teeth?
    T.

Attached Files:

2. I really dont think I would touch a thing Chevy's are not as common as Fords of these years, It looks like a beautiful car just the way it is. You could sell it to someone that loves it and get something else to cut up.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

He said he WASN'T going to cut it up.:confused:

4. Timpanzee

Timpanzee

Thanks for your concern Jimmy. Rest assured though, nothing irreversible will be done to this beautiful car. No cutting and no welding. I bought it because I fell head over heals for it. It is fabulous right now and I love driving it. However, there's nothing wrong with a little stance adjustment. I'm even keeping the all the stock parts. That way I'll end up with two cars for one. I think the look I'm going for has merit. The car oozes class and refinement and I do not want to compromise that. I intend to walk a very fine line between stock and custom with this. Subtly is what this one's all about.

5. I know what you wrote I was mearly saying any changes would be equivelent to cutting it up ....you have an awesome car there goodluck

6. Timpanzee

Timpanzee

You're right mate, I do and thanks for saying so. I'm going to first get some ideas out of my head and onto paper/computer screen. If I like I'll get all the parts together and spend a weekend swapping things around to see how I like it in the flesh. Nothing rash or impulsive will happen here, it's not in my nature. My car's in very safe hands :cool:

7. Timpanzee

Timpanzee

Apologies for not being around, been up to my eyes in it for a while now but I finally have a little breathing space.
    Here's a quick update on the old Coach. As I said before (and at the risk of putting most people on here off), this was never going to be modified, waaaay too nice a car for that. However, I have since discovered it has a '53 235ci stove in it, which on reflection would explain its rather more lively nature than one would expect. I've also put some '37 car steels on it (750 rear 600 front tyres) which "man it up" a treat. I'd still like to perform the old reverse eye leaf spring bodge on the front but I'll leave the rear alone.
    I've been grazing knuckles for years so it is incredibly refreshing to for once be able to swap a set of wheels, stand back and think, "not much else I need do here but drive"......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

That car is beautiful!!

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is a nice looking, very clean old Chevy. :D

10. 117harv

117harv

Dont lower the front anymore, it sits just right..GREAT looking car, nice colors.

11. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Beautiful car.

12. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

13. Timpanzee

Timpanzee

Thanks everyone, high praise indeed in such esteemed company. Harv, you echo the views of most of my buddies and I think you are all onto something too. I'm starting to think I should listen to you guys, after all, I wouldn't want to lose the air of refinement this lovely old car has. I love a nice aggressive stance but somehow such a move might needlessly "cheapen" this particular coach.
    Tim

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The black wheels/black tires make it look tougher...not so mamby-pamby..:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. racer67x

racer67x

the wheels,rake and losing the spare changed the whole attitude of that car..cool!

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Looking at it from the 1/4 rear shot, I can see it could come down 1-1/2" in front.
    (actually, if the rear got dropped 1", it would radius the fenders to the tires nicely)

Reverse the eyes. Front and rear. Good call...

Beautiful car, love the black wheels/tires combo. Clean and 'businesslike'...

17. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

18. draider

draider
    from Texas

The look of that car is bang on!

19. n847

n847

Damn you are right the only thing that car "needs" is driven!
    Personally I would drop the front another inch, and maybe the rear as well but not at all necessary!
    I bet the thing does pretty good with that 50's stovebolt in it!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. I don't see any black wheels! HRP

21. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

22. Midget25

Midget25

Very nice, I really like the new wheels/tires. It now fits it name!