Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cost to powdercoat a frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GregCon, Oct 16, 2012.

1. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I'm getting a couple estimates of $700-$750 to blast and powdercoat the frame of my 58 Chrysler. This is based on me taking them a fully stripped frame with no greasy areas. In the Houston area.

Does that sound reasonable?

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Sounds more than fair, that is quite a large piece!
    KK

3. 117harv

117harv

I had a quote for $350.00 for my F-1 frame. I guess it depends on your area and how hungry the powder coater is. To paint a frame you would need to have it blasted first, and with the cost of paint, primer, paper, etc. your quote doesn't sound too out of line.

4. Sounds about right for Los Angeles but I haven't price shopped for a while. I ran into a company that powder coats patio furniture and will get a bid from them next time I need work. Probably not as good as the guy I have been using but ok for a frame.

Charlie Stephens

5. Fogger

Fogger

Last time I checked Ajax in Van Nuys quoted $600 to 800 for a '32 frame. Depends on how much sand blasting is necessary.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is very reasonable, and about right. As Harv mentioned, you would have about that much in doing a proper paint job, and it is a lot easier to have it powder coated. Drop it off and pick up a pretty all done frame.

Don

7. coupemerc

coupemerc

That sounds about right. I had a 49-51 merc frame done a few years back and that is what I paid.

8. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

OK, thanks guys. I guess it sounds high to me but then I don't own a coating facility, either.

What I don't get is I see all sorts of fencing and lawn chairs and other junk being powdercoated and I am sure they can't be charging a similar rate because no one is paying $500 for a paint job on a set of lawn chairs.

I can get the frame sandblasted for $100 by a professional outfit that does side jobs...normally their daily business is blasting pressure vessels so they are set up for serious work.

I'm considering getting it blasted then using POR Chassis Black paint, which would have me 'all in' for around $200. Any horror stories about that stuff?

9. I have used POR 15 on 3 chassis and will use it on my 40 coupe and 32 truck this winter. No problems so far

10. How long is it?

I do the average frame for 500, blasted and coated in a single basic color.
    shop is in santa fe, a smidgen south of houston.

11. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I got a price 2 weeks ago for $550. blasted and powder painted in Modesto Ca..I though it sounded good then and now after see this, it kicks a...

12. 40-41 PU frame quote: sandblast surface rust & powdercoat the frame, 9" rear end, F-R springs, front A-arms, some brackets, semi & gloss black........$750.00 for all.

13. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

I had my 50 Merc chassis done about a year ago. I told him that the parts were really dirty and still had the original undercoating and 60 years worth of grime on them. He said it wasn't a problem and that it would be 500.00 to blast and powdercoat it all. I thought this was a great price. When I went to pick it up about two weeks later, the price miraculously grew to 700.00. I called him out on it and asked him why he wouldn't honor the original deal. His excuse was that there was WAY more work involved and it took more labor to get it stripped than originally anticipated. He proceeded to tell me that if I wanted the parts back it was 700.00 "take it or leave it."

When I got home after paying the 700.00 I noticed he sent some extra parts home with me that weren't mine. I let him sweat it for about a week and called the guy back and asked him if he was looking for the parts. He was desperate for them and I told him I would mail them back to him. He was very appreciative and even offered to pay for the shipping. What he wasn't so happy about was when he found out I sent them COD for 200.00. When he called me I told him there was WAY more labor than originally anticipated to box up the parts up and ship them back. He hung up on me when I told him that if he wanted the parts back to take it or leave it.

Needless to say, I haven't been back since.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  14. Sounds like a great price.
    Guy in my area charged me $80 last summer to powdercoat just 2 shorty tailpipes.
    He got me good!

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

One of my friends Chris just had his '32 frame beautifully powdercoated black for $250 somewhere in North Carolina.

16. 2935ford

2935ford

$1000 where I live!

17. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Pm sent from Houston

18. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

I paid $500 for a Model A frame.

19. not really, not sure how long the pipes your talking about, but he had to blast and prep,. prebake, then coat with high heat powder, then bake again. he didnt get rich off of ya by no means.

20. $600 for my 53' F100 frame. Sandblasted, primed, and epoxy black bridge paint.

21. Wire brush on my 4" grinder and POR 15 brushed on worked fine for me. Touch up from design changes are easy to do with a brush. Did not have to deliver or pick up the frame and small parts. Did have the wheels sandblasted and powder coated.

22. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

about right for la. had a deuce frame and some additional parts done recently for 650