Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lousy Welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

2. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I have never been a great welder but as I get older and my hands shake it is getting harder to make nice looking welds.

3. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

What in the hell is that monstrosity?????

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

yeah, WTF! 1st time i see this thread. That intake is hilarious. I too at some point were inexperienced enuff to pull shitty welds, but sure as fuck i wouldnt have done such a piece of shit for the whoe world to see :eek:

5. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

-High fives that statement-

One of the best quotes ever. :)

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've never seen hamburger welds!?!?!?!?!

[​IMG]

7. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Adding more bad welds on top of bad welds doesn't solve anything.

8. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

9. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

Damn, I did better than that in my first welding class in high school :eek:

10. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

by my own admission i an a crappy welder. i will ONLY weld sculptures i make. anything else, i have someone else do it. someone with skill.
    these people should follow the same rule

11. Those are wire welded, we have become accustomed to headers that are tig welded.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, Tig welding is prettier but I can wire weld a whole lot better than what we see on those headers.

13. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

After building my 53 customline my Grandson said Pa you can weld rust to bondo! Go Figure

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a chassis, built by a local "Pro" shop, which we had to scrap. The welds on the axle were so bad, each tube was 3/8" out at the end. The car would not roll:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Never even bothered to clean the metal first.
    The whole chassis was covered with crap, just like this. ALL of the fabrication was a disaster.

15. IWB

IWB

A profesional shop did that so called fabrication I'm a total novice and good weld circles around that.

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I really appreciate this thread! It seems to me that my very first welds were "pro" quality and what I thought were my now acceptable welds are really, really good. Seriously, I keep trying but never on a consistent level. But I am determined to get better before I do any structural welding. Sheet metal is my main focus. I use the Doctors creed: First do no harm.

17. radgirl

radgirl

Bahahahahahahahaha man I needed that giggle today funny as!!!!!! My thread on my 49 Merc rescue has some pics of pretty crappy welding...... And you should see the previos guys work ;-)

18. That is just what you commonly see in a manufacturing setting with a machine welder. Sorry to say, but, they are not going to take the time in a production setting to properly train welders who will then leave to go to a higher paying job.

19. I teach TIG and MIG welding every day. I firmly believe that the vision thing is the biggest problem with bad welds. If you can't see what that puddle is doing, you might as well shut your eyes...

Why in the HELL would anyone run those birdshit beads if they new what a good one was supposed to look like, and could see it forming (or NOT forming) as they worked?

20. You are correct sir.

I used to work with an old welder who's eyes were going bad. he had gotten to where he was welding so poorley that we had him just tacking. Then the welder supply guy came in one day and they were talking, we ended up buying him one of those magnified back plates, and his welding went right back to the best in the shop.

The there is the problem with the proper darkness lense. I used to use a 14 when I was young because my eyes were real sensative, but I discovered that i could use a 12 with gold lense and really see what I was doing. It is best to spend some time learning what lense you can use and see your work the best.

21. i just threw up in my mouth a little bit!

22. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

[​IMG]
    sheetmetal welds I cut out.

23. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Have you thought about seeing a doctor about this? Mine gets so noticeable that even the hardware store guy commented on this: He said i wasn't getting enough glucose or something like that.

It is intermittent with me.

24. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I just vomited in my lunch

25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had a friend who was Navy certified to weld under water on nucular reactors.
    As in, if a sub sank he could go contain the mess. That dude could lay a bead.
    As for me, the bigger the glob, the better the job.

26. The other thread with the great welds made me hang my head in shame. I like this thread and the pictures. It makes my welds look good.

27. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

28. Abone29

Abone29

A buddy of mine's dad was an old time welder in a shipyard.This old man could really lay down a bead.He told me after they would weld ship hulls they would put welders in them and push them in the water and go to welding up the leaks.Don't know if that was bullshit or not ,but that old man knew his shit.His favorite saying was that he could weld a straight pin to boiler plate.

29. Irishman

Irishman

I've never had anyone say anything negative about my welds.

I've also never let anyone see my welds.

There's a reason for that.

30. Yup, just put a 1X in my helmet...finally.:cool: LOL. I've found I can use a 10 gold but that's about it. I don't trust auto-darks (for a good reason), but they can be a great help when learning TIG welding. If you NEED an auto-dark for stick or MIG, you are in trouble, IMO...