Register now to get rid of these ads!

Track Width ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topless54, Oct 13, 2012.

1. topless54

topless54

I've been looking for a good source, but I can't find good info for some reason. I'm trying to avoid a lot of extra work by getting two numbers. I have a TCI Mustang II ordered for a 47-54 GM truck that I will be mating to my 47 Plymouth. TCI's website is not a wealth of information.

So, does anybody know the track width of both? I either need to build my frame rails to match the crossmember or modify the crossmember to make the width correct (then build the rails).

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, I happen to have a '49 Plymouth and a '54 GMC pickup. The Plymouth track is about 55", tire center line to tire center line. That also is the same as , or very close to, the hub mounting face to face. EDIT: I just looked up the track of the '46 to '48 Plymouth and it is given as 57". The '49 cars were narrower than the previous generation P15's

The Chev and GMC pickups of that era are in the 60" to 62" vicinity. Depending on whether or not your TCI setup was dimensioned to match the original track of the truck, you may have considerable excessive width to deal with.

Usually the rack is widened by using one or two 'tie rod extenders' to accommodate the extra width. So, by eliminating the extender(s), the rack is correct for the stock MMII 56" tread. You can narrow the crossmember accordingly. In doing so, you may find the 'notch' for the steering shaft is mislocated as a result and will require modification too. But all that is doable and inexpensive compared to the alternative.

Ray

3. topless54

topless54

Thanks for the info. I guess I get to pinch the crossmember.

What's that magical mopar info book you have? Looks like I need to get one...or put you on speed dial!

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"Standard Catalog of American Cars" a product of Krause Publications of Iola, WI, three volumes.......covering from 1805 thru at least the 90's.

Ray

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Why don't you put the cross member together loosely and check the hub to hub? Should be right at 56" with the stock MustangII / Pinto rotors. Most manufacturers don't widen the '47-'54 GM truck crossmembers because they are fairly narrow through front of the frame and fit pretty well as is, so I kinda doudt that your kit is wider.

My '48 Plymouth has been running with a home built clip holding an original Pinto crossmember for almost twenty years and over 200,000 miles now and it fits great. I rub Granada discs on the front (adds abount an inch per side for 58" hub to hub) and 15x7" wheels with a 4" backspace with 205/60-15s.

I might suggest that you not concern your self with track width on vehicles most of the time as a simple backspace change can throw that measurement out the window quickly. Hub to hub is the only true measurement when swapping front ends around.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good suggestions and info, Chip !

Ray

7. topless54

topless54

Louvers-
    Well, I called TCI yesterday, and a gentleman who obviously neither wanted to speak with anyone nor answer any questions advised me that the width of my kit is 57.5 (hub to hub). His disposition and a LOT of feedback I've read about TCI make me reluctant to proceed on his info. I'll just bolt it together and get a close measurement as suggested above; I was being lazy.

I was using the word track width meaning hub to hub or flange to flange.
    If his info checks out, I'm not worried about the 1/2 inch.

That 58" measurement is good to know. I assume it's the one in your avatar.? Looks like everything tucks nicely. I'll be running a slightly taller tire-probably a 205/75-15. Do you have any issues with turning lock to lock?

Thanks again, Ray. It's good to have that resource listed on the forum. It's definitely on my Christmas list.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sometimes it'll drag on hard turns like in parking lots. But you do have to remember that my clip has about three inches of Z built into it and my front bumper is about 3" off the deck at ride height. And yes, this has been my daily forever, all over the country. If you go a little less extreme ride height wise it'll work out well for you. Just an opinion, but I think a 205/75 will look just a bit large on the front.