Register now to get rid of these ads!

I want to build a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saubrenner, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Saubrenner

Saubrenner

I have a 28 model A that I bought to restore for my dad several years ago. He passed away in 2005 and I don't have much interest in model A's, so I guess I'll street rod it. The rat rod thing has given me some hope because now it's acceptable to not have a perfect car.
    It's a sedan and I'm thinking high boy. The biggest question I have is how to get an affordable dropped axle. Everything I see adds up to $2000 or more. Is there a cheap way to do it? I don't want to try to bend my own, I think that would be a disaster. I plan to run a S-10 rear axle with coil overs. I'll probably do a small block just because I have several. I also have a Mercury flat head that I'd like to use but again I think that would get really expensive, too.
    I'm looking for ideas, all my other cars are 60's muscle cars so I'm entering uncharted territory. I appreciate any and all help you guys can give.

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Everything you need to know about building an A has been talked about and shown here over and over for years.
    Use the search button and read

Good luck

3. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Search button is your friend. There are years and years worth of ideas and how too's on this site. Good luck bud.

4. #1... ratrods arn't liked around here,usually not built safe.#2...start searching modelA build threads here 1000's of threads and good info.You can have your axel dropped $200-250 +ship.Lots you can do your self,just make it safe& legal=more fun less headaches.:D

5. Word to the wise,,this is a traditional site and the rat rod terminology is going to go over like a turd in the punch bowl.

There are hundreds of Model A builds here,,use the search button and be amazed. HRP

6. Saubrenner

Saubrenner

Oops, sorry about the rat rod thing. I just meant that it's more acceptable now to not have a $5000 dollar paint job and a chrome chassis. I'm not a fan of tractor grills and wooden out house doors on cars either.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a fenderless car, removed front frame horns, a custom (raised) mounting bracket, and a spring behind the axle setup will get you low without dropping the axle. But it brings the axle forward a bit, too. Search "suicide" front axle.

8. why not do something different and keep the fenders on your `28 tudor? i think they look nice that way

[​IMG]

9. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

droppedaxles.com is resonable on axles and I think he might be an alliance vendor. Also I like the fenders to but they add up quick, start with a highboy and keep the fenders around.

10. jimbousman

jimbousman

"The biggest question I have is how to get an affordable dropped axle. Everything I see adds up to $2000 or more. Is there a cheap way to do it? I don't want to try to bend my own, I think that would be a disaster."

Specific to your question: If you do some scrapping and piece it out you can get a dropped bones front end under your "A" for less than a grand. Best place to look is either a swap meet or on-line like craig's list. Try to find a guy who half build a rod and ran out of money, time, or interest. I bought most of my major rod parts that way for pennies on the dollar.

11. 36Brua

36Brua

Maybe start with post #2 above ^

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The very first thing you should have is a clearcut picture in your mind of what the car will end up looking like. You may make changes along the way as the car starts telling you what it wants to be, but your general plan will remain fairly consistent.

I suggest you do what the guys suggested and search here for what others have posted, there is a wealth of information here. Also, go to car shows and see what cars turn you on and talk to their owners. Rodders are generally very happy to share their build with others.

I got what you meant about the RR thing, not having to spend a zillion bucks on lots of chrome, paint and other expensive items. I am in that same boat since retiring, I just don't have the expendible income anymore to do that either, so my current build is going to be a little rough around the edges, but I like that look anyway.:D I also think you are being smart with the sbc engine thing. They are probably the cheapest motor to build and parts are everywhere.

Good luck on your project.

Don

Here, this will be a good start for you:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269743&highlight=model+sedans

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012