Register now to get rid of these ads!

project car.... 1951 suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by opc patrick, Oct 11, 2012.

1. opc patrick

opc patrick
    from Dallas

For some crazy reason (mid life crisis or to much power block) I started thinking I should buy a project car to throw money and time at. The only problem... I don't know how to do much of anything. So I am going to have to take it slow, ask a lot of questions and learn a lot along the way.

I wanted a 56 nomad.... but I don't seem to have nomad money. So after much looking I finally decided I liked the old panel trucks and suburbans. I located a 1951 suburban project that someone was giving up on. (which may not have been the best choice to start with an incomplete project.)

It has a camaro front clip, tilt steering, and a 350. body seemed straight and not very rusted. interior- well missing.

since this thread would be worthless with out pictures... here we go.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

interior.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Kool - congrats

3. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Nice start, now get her up in the air and look it over really well. Check the subframe out, take measurements, and pay close attention to the welds. Make sure the PO installed the frame correctly and that his welds are road worthy. Give us some more info. Does it run and drive? What are your plans? What is your overall goal when the ride is "finished"?

4. opc patrick

opc patrick
    from Dallas

I drove the car home about 20 miles... so it does run and drive... I plan to do a frame off resto/mod ( i guess) Basically I want to clean it up, update things like AC, brakes, ride, but keep the old style and have the reliability of a newer car that I can take the family on weekend trips.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Unusual, and, rare. As mentioned previously, check-out the suspension, brakes, frame, exhaust system, etc.

Good luck in doing a "frame off"...moving that huge body off the frame - and getting it back on - will require some help from a number of buddies !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

6. fast Ed

fast Ed

Neat project ... my brother is working on a 1st series 55 Suburban, which is similar except for the windshield.

He managed to get the body off the frame himself with a bit of ingenuity.

cheers
    Ed

7. Nice project and being able to drive it is a plus,,don't get ahead of yourself and take it slow,,try to accumulate all the parts before you blow it apart.

You have a unusual truck in what appears to be very nice shape,,,enjoy it and keep us posted . HRP

8. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

Cool project, have some fun with it.

9. n847

n847

I agree with HRP...I'd drive it around and work on it to cut your teeth for a while then once you have really honed your vision and know your real ability and have a real grasp on the expense of the project you can tackle it all!

Either way have fun and enjoy the the truck! Don't let someone else buy it again in a year or two as a "suburban project that someone was giving up on."!

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Do not tear it apart (ask me how I know)! My first car I did the same thing. It is very easy to get overwhelmed and then do nothing until you sell it at a huge loss to the next guy that wants to take on a project.

Like others have said, keep it running so you can drive it now and then. That will keep you motivated. Collect all the parts you need prior to tearing it all apart. Do one small thing at a time and complete it. Your vision (make sure you have one) will change now and then with the parts that become available to you. One decision may drive another in a different direction. Set some goals with reasonable time frames and start checking them off. I use a white board in the garage. It will also quickly reveal to you how big of a project you have.

Good luck! I would love to have a burb like that!

Stevie

11. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

X2

I've got a 55.1 Suburban, welcome to the club. I've done a few misc items to it to keep it on the rd, while I restore/mod another chassis to swap it on to. It's easy to take these apart (been there several times) and much harder to find the time and $$$ to put it back together. Besides, if you need any suburban specific parts, it may take while to find.

Clean up what needs to be done and drive the wheels off it.

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

man id love to have that one!!!! listen to hrp and steve,they are giving it to you right.

13. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Looks like a great start, Do as much work as you can while it is still mobile, and take it for a spin when you can, will keep the motivation going. I'll be working on my 49 GMC suburban next hear hopefully, got to get my coupe and pickup to a happy point before I do though.

14. hah! Lack of talent and knowledge hasnt stopped me. Goodluck to ya! my advice is to keep it running and driving so you can enjoy what you are working on.

15. Mattilac

Mattilac

Cool project, dood.

16. Welcome to the HAMB Patrick.

Thats a great project and a cool ride. I'd say collect a few parts before ya blow it all apart which can be overwhelming. Those trucks have always stuck in my mind. Had a friend with one in his shop 8 or so years ago. It was shiny black with updated drive train and looked so good - drive it anywhere!

And, to me, the most interesting thing about it was the very slight chopped top. Maybe 2 inches - just enough to streamline the profile a bit but not enough to notice it wasn't stock.

It just looked "better"somehow so I had to ask him what it was. LOL! Probably other HAMBers have info on doing this.

17. opc patrick

opc patrick
    from Dallas

Thanks guys for the heads up.. I started the tear down on the front and I was thinking it comes apart really easy. One thing I did discover is I dont think this was a prior project as much as how fast can I get it running and flip it.

Each fender had only 3 bolts holding it on. and the radiator was zip tied in place. the old brake line were still there and the new ones next to them... I have to think if this was truly a project it would have been done a little cleaner. Anyway. I will stop with just the front end and rebuild it back up with the missing pieces (inner fenders, radiator support, ect...) and then work on it one item at a time. the funnest thing I have found was garden hose painted black holding the back windows in place.

Sorry for the dark cell phone pic

10.10.12.jpg

18. Model T1

Model T1

^^^^^---------Talent and knowledge ? Is that important? Tore my 48 Chevy panel truck down over 12-14 years ago? I think. Gonna slip a Camaro subframe under. Which I sorta did. Did slip it under then chickened out and used a MMII type kit. Front sheet metal still stored on front porch.
    You just got a bunch of tips and warnings. Play with it and drive it after you get the front end where it is safe. There are many new parts out there and the Suburban is a great vehicle.
    My 48 Chevy panel is also my Nomad. Much cheaper to work on and a fun cruiser.
    [​IMG]

19. Great work Patrick. I'm right there with you as just bought a 51 too and getting some major works done before importing it back to UK

20. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Just do one thing at a time, take a lot of picture on the tear down they are good reference when you put it back together, month later the thing you thought you would remember you don’t, Make a folder of all the part number you use, they will come in handy later on or if you sell it it will help the next person, I love the Suburbans.
    <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      470.4 KB
      Views:
  21. ImageUploadedByTJJ1354139465.416098.jpg

Starlite done an almost seamless job of grafting a new roof on my ride

Attached Files:

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting and different rig. I dig it!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Good luck we are enjoying our 48. Makes a great way to haul the Grand kids in our case.

24. Well got the body media lasted and a donor 350 and 700R4 dropped in. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379013529.005531.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420757494.694130.jpg so much happened since last post. The burb is now in UK

26. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420757561.800285.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420757586.486599.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420757601.944496.jpg
    After a Christmas of illness I resorted to armchair restorations if my various $10 parts brought over with the car. Because I had to sell my 63 olds after 20years of ownership in order to find this project I am going to adapt a rocket88 steering wheel to fit my column

27. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420757749.543158.jpg Got my Fulton on

28. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420757796.180565.jpg slowly turning a #Chevy into #ChevyBomb

29. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

cool burb liking the horn ring

30. Thanks Mcnally351