Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darth Fonzie, Oct 10, 2012.

1. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

:D looks like an over priced 4 door parts car to me.. PASSSS

2. Squablow

Squablow

The car would part out for $3K pretty easily, being that the motor runs. You'd have a fair amount of time in that, but it would be profitable.

In Wisconsin, that would be considered a worthwhile project, and a good price for one that runs, because it appears to be quite solid. But we don't have nearly the amount of clean sheetmetal to pick from.

3. stickwelder

stickwelder

I would buy it for $800. Title it. Fix and repair. drive it. Have fun. It's a budget beater 4 door. Room for all your friends. Honk on.....

4. scotts52

scotts52

I could have used that bumper as well as alot of small patch panels that I could've cut off that one. Dang.

Ha, mine IS. Last pic of it shows it heading on an all expense paid vacation to Asia. The roof ripped off right after this pic. $197 there.:cool:[/QUOTE]

5. Last year I was tryig to sell a 63 buick Lesabre 4 door. no motor/trans, a body straight enough to paint gloss black, RUST FREE AZ CAR, still had the finned alum drums, was a complete driver till we pulled out the nailhead for a model A. Even the speed sensor buzzer worked. Clear AZ title. I tried selling it for over a year on CL, here, and other sites for $500. No takers. I dropped it to $300 for a few months,,,,, no takers. Where were all you 4 door lovers then when it was for sale?

Sorry, but a non titled, 4 door, rust issue (and other issues) just isnt worth $1k. :cool:

6. Mart

Mart

If it's easy why does he not title it.

7. I normally don't have a lotta love for 50s 4 door cars but Olds' are different. When we were in high school, a lot of guys drove hand-me-down cars from their folks. My buddy, Lynn drove a super clean black [with white top] hand-me-down 54 Olds 4 door 88. It had the common Olds sagging springs that 54s seemed to have more than any other olds. Had the old 324 with a 2 barrel [plain 88, not super 88] and 4 speed hydro. We put a glasspac muffler on it in shop class and he ran black steelies with pinner whitewalls and olds center caps. We double dated in that car and it always got us home, when Lynn didn't run it outta gas. I always thought the "frown" grille was kinda cool on those 54s.
    I actually ended up buying my mom's 55 super 88 4 door when she wanted to sell and buy a gas-sipper falcon 6 banger. Mine was factory light yellow and white....green interior with the clear plastic covers over the original seats...the entire car was perfect and spotless. I put chrome wheels and cheater slicks on it.
    These cars make very comfortable cruisers and with their [most common] 3.23 gears they'll knock down 16-17 MPG. The 4 speed hydros in them were fine transmissions as long as the linkages were kept properly adjusted. 54 was also a 12 volt car when chevies and fords were still 6 volt.
    54s had low compression 180 HP engines, even with a 4 barrel carb so you should be able to burn 85-87 octane gas in it, no sweat. Run a can of rislone or Marvel mystery oil through the engine if it's got loud lilfters and they may quiet down. 54s were famous for "clicky" lifters in my part of the world. My old girlfriend's mom had a 54 olds 98 4 door you could hear a block away...click, click cllick, click on every cylinder! The car's springs had settled soooooooo far it looked like it was bagged..what a whale!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  8. Darth Fonzie

Darth Fonzie
    from Anaheim

I made my decision... I will not be going forward with this deal "until this car has a title" so if and when that's cleared up... I could be the proud owner of a '54 Oldsmobile 88

Thanks everybody for your input!

9. Mart

Mart

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The more I think about it the 54 might not be a too bad of deal if it had a title since it runs,I am so stuck on 25 years ago prices when it comes to these cars. I miss the days of cheap old cars.

11. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

I hope he's keeping your deposit seeing as there was no title offered When you handed over that cash

12. Darth Fonzie

Darth Fonzie
    from Anaheim

please see post #88...