Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chopping a 35-36 Ford 5W any pictures?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadkid1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. flatheadkid1

flatheadkid1
    from OHIO

Does anyone have pictures of a 35-36 Ford 5 window in the process of being chopped or even finished car pics? Would help with my current project. Thanks in advance.

2. Bart78

Bart78

Leave it alone it looks good already.

3. Why ruin the perfect lines? leave it ! imo.

4. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

Here is one pic of mine "in progress."

Attached Files:

5. flatheadkid1

flatheadkid1
    from OHIO

Nice chop! Any pictures of the chop in process? How much was taken out?

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

See below guys. I underlined the important part. ;)

The Jalopy Journal was formed just a few years later to spread the gospel of traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms to hoodlums worldwide…

This car looks FANTASTIC.

[​IMG]

7. Bart78

Bart78

That car is fantastic. But it's not an easy chop and I think can be screwed up real easy. The thing I don't like about chopping the five window is sometime the quarter windows look like crap.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yeah but just because people screw up chops all the time doesn't mean they shouldn't be chopped. It just means they shouldn't be chopped unless you know what you're doing.

I agree most people screw up the quarter windows or drop the roof straight down and flatten it out too much.

9. Bart78

Bart78

I love the look of a 40's style custom. I have thought about having someone chop my 37 when I fix the roof where some ass thought that they schould take a tourch to it. And build it that way.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the 1/4 windows as big as possible, the top as "round" as possible. Keep the front and doors lined up. You'll add to the tulip panel, or the space betwwen the decklid and back of the top. Less is more. Just enough to give it an evil profile. I'm just throwing things to help you "see" what you want. I've often considered removing the 1/4 window metal altogether until the rest was done and fit the biggest size possible in the remaining opening. The trick will be for many to say, "Is that chopped?" Easy? Fuck no. Bitchin? Rhetorical. Good luck and go for it.

Quick edit: I see 47vert's didn't add to the rear deck. Pretty fuckin awesome chop, awesome restraint.

11. 35fordcoupe

35fordcoupe
    from Virginia

I also really like 47vert's chop...very subtle. I feel like any more and it looks out of proportion. I remember a '35 5 window in SR a few years ago. It was gloss black and had leather from some old couch. It was chopped 1" and it had me drooling over what my car could look like until I realized all the subtle mods that I don't have the skill to pull off. I can't imagine all the hours that went into that 1" chop, but it looked gooood!

12. Hey
    I would to see some chopped 5 windows.
    They might be tough to chop but they sure look good when done.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

You hear that? :D :D :D Thats the sound of my sawsall !!

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Quoted for truth! I, for one, hope this thread brings up some pics. I like them chopped, modestly.

15. CHOP36

CHOP36

I will try to scan the pictures i have of my 36 when We if fixed it after i rolled it.was already chopped so i got another car and we clipped in roof and right 1/4. that was in 1985.

16. lowstrung

lowstrung

lol.

17. Yep!!

There are a lot of ugly ones out there, but that goes for most cars.

I'm digging this '35...

[​IMG]

Blue Collar built '36...beautiful handmade quarter-windows on this one...

[​IMG]

Gilroy Chop shop....heavy, but I really like the overall shape and the rounded door tops...

[​IMG]

I'm still trying to figure out if I like this one. Obviously the 80's Flyod Cotterpin wheels and blackwalls gotta go, but the roof looks pretty decent. It looks like there's a weird spot in the drip rail above the quarter window, but that might just be the pic...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bryan

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I think the thing that throws off this chop is the rear window wasn't laid down at all so there's a bit of a severe change from the roof to the rear window.

Those first two look great! I'm on the fence about the third one, but I think that's just personal preferance. I'm not a big fan of slanted b pillars, but it's done real well.

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

There is no doubt that the 35 and 36 have beautiful lines from the factory,its a classic ,iconic ride.But a chopped 35 and 36 looks equally as beautiful when done right and tastefully.It still becomes iconic.The calori coupe is an example

20. fireup51

fireup51
    from sweden

The green 35 is just perfect.

21. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

[​IMG]heres mine, the guy that chopped it laid the windshield back a little. It looks good. Seems more salt flats where the back laid down seems more taildragger to me.

22. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

I chopped the car a little less than 2 inches as measured at the "B" pillar. I used a 76 chevy Monza to fill the top. Almost a dead nuts match in curvature front to back and left to right. Here are a few pic's during the chop.

Attached Files:

23. flatheadkid1

flatheadkid1
    from OHIO

That is a really nice chop. I have gone back and forth about laying the windshield back. I guess I will decide for sure when I start cutting. Thank you for posting.

24. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

That green coupe is perfect. Any info? I'm about to start my build. To chop or not to chop!!!!

25. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

26. reagen

reagen

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012