Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you decide on a bumper chrome shop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinsailor, Oct 7, 2012.

1. austinsailor

austinsailor

I have a pair of bumpers on my 53 Plymouth 2 door hard top that badly need chrome. Neither is rusted through but both have rust pits and half the original chrome is gone.

I spent quite a bit of time searching here in old posts for other's experience. In some cases the same shop was both loved and hated.

I've talked to 3 shops that were mostly liked by HAMBers and got quotes. All are located where I can physically visit them. Quotes ranged from $200 per bumper to almost $1000 per bumper.

In the past I've sent pot metal to several places, paid good money and got crap in return. I'm not too excited to do that with bumpers, but the pot metal experience didn't seem to have anything to do with what I paid. Double the money for identical parts got the same result.

My inclination is to try the $200 version, If it's not acceptable, send them off to the next one.

What would you look for? Their finished parts waiting to be picked up?

Worse than the wasted money would be the time and frustration.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus

Go to the next local car show. Ask participants who chromed their bumpers. Take notes. Then, decide. Works most of the time.

3. And thats when the issues usually begin, cheap is rarely good.

4. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

Josh Chrome Plater on here...Custom Metal Finishing in Hagarstown IN (765) 489 4089. Not cheap but not outrageous either. I'm GUESSING 500 per bumper. I can't speak highly enough about the quality and service !

5. austinsailor

austinsailor

One is in the Dallas area. I'm driving through there tomorrow, I may stop and visit.