Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I picked up a frame for my roadster, what the hell did I buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr48chev, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As the title says I picked up a frame for my flathead six powered boat tail roadster and can't figure out exactly what it is/was. I thought it was 20 something Chevrolet but am not even sure about that.

Someone has removed the front spring mounts and cut the stamped steel rear crossmember out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has about a 106 inch wheelbase as far as I can tell.

The cowl is 1919 Buick and the engine will be a 254 Ford flathead six per current plans and I have one that a Hamber donated to the project.

The rest of it will primarily be leftovers out of the sheds that I have been sticking away for the past 30 years in wait for something to use them on.

2. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Looks like 31 or 32 chevy. Had 2 of those frames, one under my t roadster, and thats what they looked like

3. F&J

F&J

I did some work to a 31 chev chassis last year, including adjusting the brakes. Those rear adjusters rang a bell. I think there was another adjuster on the cross link for e-brake?

also, chev should be 6 lugs and I can't see that in the pic. The spring shackles would be self adjusting, the pins are tapered on the ends, with the 2 halves of the shackle sides having tapered seats for the pins.

4. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

I have a 28 chevy frame that looks to be the same. They have parallel leafs on the front, so look for the shackle mounts. They really are a decent looking frame and look like they would adapt well, and work out well, on lots of 20s-30s-cars.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I use the Chevy frames, '27-'31. This looks like a '29-'31, 6 cyl.
    The 4-cyl. frames are shorter. (and JUST as cool!) They fit '27 Ts, '29-'29 A's, and a host of others. Prettier than Model A, I am always happy to find these.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did you notice there is a '31 Vicky behind it? Chassis looks Chevy to me, I'd really like to see a photo of an ESSEX chassis from this era, most dirt cars used them in the 1930's. Bob

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 31 Vic is mine too as the photo was taken in my driveway. The shocks off the Vic will probably end up on the roadster. I picked up the cowl 20 something years ago at a swapmeet just because it looked like it needed a home and have picked up a piece here and a piece there along with starting on building the tail section over the years.
    The intent when it is done is to have it look like an early 30's 2 seat race car that someone put on the street.

8. I am using a 31 chev truck frame, the rails on mine are 6 inch deep in the web, but the engine mount cross member and trans mount cross member look the same in yours as mine. I am building a fenderless nostalgia pick-up/ tow truck, so the deeper rails suit me well.