Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lead scene east

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, May 15, 2012.

1. Any idea of how many cars might show up? coming up from Baltimore area with the wife and little boy to check it all out tomorow morning ....looking forward to it

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'll be there again (once again , without a hotrod :( ) .

3. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I went, I saw, I was disappointed. The organizers are trying hard, but I just can not believe that to have a successful show like this that you have to let anything in that shows up. Several cars in the bad category took away from the really cool cars that showed. The small swap meet was very good with quality vendors. The venue is beautiful, Gettysburg itself was awesome, but I did not go to be a tourist but ended up being one.

I hope this show continues to grow, but it seems a lot of changes NEED to be made.

4. Went to a KOA show before and was disappointed. KKOA didn't let any "custom" cars in only "KUSTOM" cars. Seems the name of the organization should dictate what its about. But what do I know

5. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Maybe some one could tell us the difference between a Kustom and Custom Car.????????
    I would like to know what class my car would fit into. They did let me into the LEAD EAST SHOW along with a couple of late model Pick Up Trucks, a newer Mustang and the feature attraction of the show the Bat Mobile. :eek::eek:

Attached Files:

6. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Permissable vehicles from the KKOA website:

Open To all "traditional style" Pre-1969 Leadsleds, Kustoms, Hotrods, & Drag Machines (Slingshots, Gassers, Funny, Muscle)
    1970 - Current Year kustomized Fomoco, GM, & Mopar vehicles welcome if lowered & feature some reasonable & noticeable amount of kustom body work.

7. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

Larry,
    As an appraiser you should know that you CAN NOT addess an issue if your NOT made aware of it. After 3 e mails we're till waiting to hear an explanatin on WHAT your "disappointments" were so we can make an attempt to correct them

8. jerseymike

jerseymike

i was able to get some pictures of your car and looked for you to say hello but never did run into you. i agree the promoter is working hard and is putting alot of effort into this show. also think it's a great location. however, i think what becomes an issue is promoting this as a customs show and everyone is reusing different versions of the same name for the event. when it started as a customs only show and was one of the very few customs only shows around, it drew great cars from far distances. now that it's open to anything, it's just like any neiborhood show and most don't feel it's special enough to travel to anymore. i can think of about 10 quality custom cars from new jersey that used to come every year and now don't because it's no longer a customs show, just a show with some customs. some of them even recent magazine cover quality customs. instead i got to see rusty junk rat rods and people scribbling on a p.o.s. hearse. on another thread the promoter claims 209 cars from 11 states, but doesn't say what they are. one was a brand new, bone stock mustang convertible from west virginia! really? i passed 20 ford dealerships on my way to the show, i could have stopped at any to see this! i would love to see this or any customs show succeed. there are far to few of them now. again i appreciate the effort the promoter is putting into it but if your going to promote a custom show, have a customs show. quantity does not trump quality.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Hi, Sorry I dont know who you sent the 3 e-mails to but it was not me.

You asked, so here goes, if you see Jersey Mikes next comment, he sums up what a lot of people I spoke to thought. For me in addition to what he says. I travelled 9 hours each way to participate in a Custom Car Show so you can appreciate how disappointed I was. To begin with the FEATURE CAR was the BAT MOBILE surely you could come up with something better than that. I stood and talked the gentleman who was let in with a late model 4-door sedan, this car had some beautiful air brushed murals of the Bomber he piloted in World War II, yes he is still active driving and is 92 years young and sharp as a tack. I enjoyed his very interesting war stories as did a lot of other people. He was there all day Friday, right up until the end, although he did not say, but I am sure he thought he might get some mention. As a promoter you should be aware of this type of feature that shows up on your doorstep. The POKER RUN was a good popular idea, but much to short both in distance and time. You have a beautiful venue there including Gettysburg, it would be nice to have some interaction right in Gettysburg. THe cash prize draws were well received.

I have run car shows before so I know what difficult tasks you are facing, so keep up the good work and I a sure success will come. Larry

10. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

1st off, a sincere THANK YOU for expressing your views on the Lead Scene East ROD & CUSTOM show. Thats more than I got from the last person who voced their "disappointments"
    The days of a strictly custom show, street rod show or what ever are gone thanks to todays money hungry world of lawyers, regulations AND tax's.
    For yrs NSRA was strictly a Street Rod show ONLY. Due to attorneys camped out side their door to insure that they abide with all the new regulations, taxes etc that are forced on them every yr, they finally had to take down the barricades & open the event up to "late models" A lot of people were unhappy but they (nsra) had no other choice in order for this mega event to continue
    The Biglerville show we're talking about is NO longer billed as a custom show ONLY. In it's hey day when customs were "Hot" the event peaked out with 900 + "Customs" Over the yrs as the show tried to keep up with all the regulations, taxes among "other problems" participation dropped due to the cost's of building/insuring/showing a car, raising a families etc. At the last ALL "Custom Show" in Biglerville 3 yrs ago there was 120 customs on the grounds. What does this tell you?
    As for "everybody" using the Lead Scene East name, if you check with the Bureau of Registered Trademarks in Harrisburg,(Pa) the legal name of the event is "Lead Scene East" If someone wants to "tag along" to try & reap some of the glory we're trying to bring back to the event, they have a problem.
    As for the event being open to "everything" This is NOT so. Customs are & will alway be my 1st love. When I joined George Barris's Kustoms of L A. in 1951 his only requirement was, your vehicle had to be "Modified, Restyled or Restored". When we rescued LEAD SCENE EAST from the "brink of death" this requirement was made so everyone could continue to come to Biglerville to ENJOY the friendship (1st) & the cars (2nd) every yr. Isn't this what our hobby is all about having FUN ???
    As for the bone stock "stang" & that was in the show. This gentelman's "Custom" broke down 100 miles from the show so he grabbed a rental & continued on so he & his 12 yr old daughter could enjoy the show with friends they only got to see once a yr. Out of "common courtesy" we allowed him to drive his "stock stang" onto the show grounds.
    On the "rusty ol rats" you mentioned. I know several rat owners personally that have show cars sitting at home in the garage. When asked why they brought their "rusty ol rat" instead of their other car, they said they meet more people & have "More FUN" than they ever had showing their "Billet Buggy" Again isn't that what our hobbies all about, having FUN & meeting other people with the same interests
    I more than anyone wish we could go back to having an all Custom show, all street rod show or whatever, but let's face the facts. Until YOU the participant are ready to pay an exorbitant entry fee to help cover the expenses of putting on an event to "suite your taste , IT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN so let's just continue supporting our events & the people who are burning up their retirement funds to bring them to you.

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

What can I say except, WOW!

There used to be a radio spot called "The rest of the story" by Paul Harvey. You just topped that. I tend to focus on the cars I want to see and enjoy and must admit that I missed the stock Stang. But I'm certainly glad to hear for the sake of the Grand Daughter that the hand of hot rodding was extended in such a kind and understanding way.

I know there's no way to make and keep everyone happy, but I've never seen anyone try harder to do so.............

Thanks again!

12. MemoreeMaker

MemoreeMaker

Larry,

1st off I want to say I really appreciate you getting back to me.
    Don't know what happened to the e mails but I assure you that I did send
    them.via private message.

If you read my response to Jersey Mike it'll eliminate me from
    burning up a lot of space here on the issues brought up.
    Believe me,when I say I totally understand your disappointment after
    traveling so far because over the last 65 + yrs I've been involved with
    our car hobby, I too have been disappointed many times but I never let it
    deter my dedication to our sport.

One of TWO obstacles we were faced with when we took over "Lead
    Scene East" was letting people know that this was NO longer a "Customs
    ONLY" show as stated on all our flyers. The other obstacle, which I
    prefer not to discuss here, I feel we about conquered due to the fact
    that we're now seeing many of the "old timers" returning to the event.

On the Batmobile FEATURE CAR. As a former "Car Show Promoter" you
    should know that you spend your money where it'll do the MOST good.
    With the economy what it is combined with the high cost of fuel, I'm
    sure you like many others, have cut back on their show schedules which
    has effected many events across the country. To combat this, we at Lead
    Scene East decided to take some of the money that could've been used for
    a Feature Car & distribute it among the "lil guys" (the "Back Bone" of
    our hobby) who at best usually go home with nothing more than a $10.00
    plaque.
    In last yrs participant surveys we received 100% approval on this
    decision which was initiated to help the participants recoup some of the
    expenses they endure to get to a show because with out their car's, you
    have NO SHOW.
    To date we know of "NO Other Event" on the circuit that offers or can
    match our Cash Awards in ALL Classes program.

On the gentleman with the "Bomber Car" A sincere Thank You for
    taking time to talk to him as many other did. I hope I'm as alert &
    active as he is when I hit 92 (15 more yrs to go) After reading a story
    in the Hanover Evening Sun about his car & exploits, out of appreciation
    & respect for our military forces (Canada included) I contacted him &
    invited him to attend the show with his "custom" paint job. When he
    arrived I welcomed him to the event & had the dj do a special interview
    with him that was heard over 93.9 fm radio.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Poker Run. Got some great footage of you &
    your buddy (love that coupe) cruising the streets of Gettysburg. The
    poker run was a "experiment" for us to keep from spending $1000 for
    Friday nite entertainment, which only a third of the people attend.
    Because of it's success we hope to do TWO Poker Runs next yr, both being
    longer in mileage & time. Like to mention that the $100 your buddy took
    home for the Best hand was money that could've been spent on a "feature
    car". By leaving early you also missed out on the $50.00 long distance
    gas card & another possible $50 on the "motel receipts" drawing.
    I realize that because of your disappointment it's doubtful that
    we'll see that beautiful shoe box back at Lead Scene East again but I do
    Thank You for giving us a shot this yr. When I detailed your cars for
    the event video I looked around for you to welcome & thank you for
    coming to our Lead Scene ast event but you weren't around.

In closing, again a sincere thank you for your participation AND
    thoughts on how we can make our "Rod & Custom" show better. With that I
    wish you a safe & enjoyable cruise throughout the remainder of the 2012
    cruising season.

"Video Bob"

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  13. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Bob, Thanks for the above message, it was my mistake that I thought I was going to a all Custom Show, As previously mentioned in a earlier post I think you are doing a very good job after fully understanding your many obstacles that. You are right times are a changing and we the back bone are getting older and some are not playing anymore. You are headed in the right direction and I hope you have great success for you future shows. If you let me know your e-mail address I think I would like one of your popular videos. P.S. I normally leave shows Sunday mornings because of the travel time, it had nothing to do with the show. All The Best. :cool::cool::cool: Larry.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I love it when boys kiss and hug and make up :D

15. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Denise, He said he would throw in one of your cookies to keep me happy, I told him not too worry because I already have one coming from you. P.S. How was Bowling Green????? Larry

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It was beyond AWESOME. I've been attending for 10 years minus the one year they did it in Columbus and I've got to tell ya that this was the best one yet. I so wish you would have attended as you would have had a BLAST. How about giving some thought to attending the Jalopy Showdown Invitational July 28th in York Springs PA. Let me know if you do go as I'll make sure I bring ya some cookies.:cool:

17. I took my son and his girlfriend to the show. I was hoping to see the same turn out as Biglerville the last time I was there. There were some really neat cars on the grounds, just not the quanity I was expecting. All in all we all had a great time. I had hoped to have the 48 driveable and would have loved to have taken it, but, it just didnt happen. I snapped a couple pics while I was there. I will post the link to my photo bucket account later tonight. I for one hope the show continues. Thanks!

18. jerseymike

jerseymike