Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just picked up a new project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XOFMOT, Jul 25, 2012.

1. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Just pure luck and perfect timing...Don't ever expect it to happen again in my lifetime! LOL

Body lines remind me of a Chevy somewhat. I just like that it not ALL WINDOW like some other late 20's cars.

Stock wheelbase is at 114" I'm gonna stretch it just a tad to about 120"

This one will be more taste full and more of a driver than my last one.

Here's is my last one now living on the west coast!

[​IMG]

2. Thats a sharp looking A !! and i agree about lines verses window area. I had a 29 Whippit 2 door which i think has perfect proportions. JW

3. HANKSPITBALL

HANKSPITBALL

A friend of mine has a tudor version of your vehicle, stock as a rock. Plenty of potential for yours. Great looking car.

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

smokin deal. looks like a great project and rare bird to boot. go easy. although I say keep the wheel that came on it :D:D:D

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Some people fall could fall in a pile of broken glass a hunnert ft tall,and come out with the Hope Diamond.Me?I`d look like i`d been sortin` wildcats.You rock fella.Super score.On those super cherry wheels.You most likely will make back a minium of 5 times what you paid for the whole shebang.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

cool ride,save the fenders

7. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Got my hand on bunch of parts and have started the frame build!

Front and rear wheels and tires:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started the front half of frame:

6" "Z" with a 32 style front crossmember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoothed out. Still need to make up some fish plates for all butt welded joints

[​IMG]

Getting front XMEMBER located

[​IMG]

Welded in place

[​IMG]

Front half almost done

[​IMG]

Installing front suspension and mocking up grill shell

[​IMG]

Welding the original front frame horns on, Grill shell is where I want it now, and gotta have my camshaft spreader bar!

[​IMG]

Been a while...just busy with 1000 other things in life!!

Braced and fish plated the frame..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Raising the Body up for the chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to pull the rear axle..couldn't get the body much higher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Always busy so time to work on project is always limited!!!

Anyway...Here are a few more pics!

Here is one with front fenders just layed on in place..going to love fenders on this!!!
    Will be moving grill shell up to crossmember (making grill shell extension)

[​IMG]

Side view...piece of 1x1 square tubing outlining the running board I need to fabricate.

[​IMG]

Parked in the garage awaiting 100000000 other things to do to it!!

[​IMG]

Wanted the grill shell more forward (looks goofy way back even with hood) so I made up a cardboard grill shell extension!! Will be made out of steel but had to see how it would look first!

[​IMG]

That's about it for now..still have soo much to do...but in no hurry...got all winter!!

9. Looking good Tom, JW :)

10. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Thanks!! Should have a pretty free weekend coming up..hopefully that means garage time!!! LOL

11. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Wanna double your money? Just kidding . That's a great score. Like the man said don't do anything that can't easily be undone.

12. BLUMEANIE

BLUMEANIE
    from St. Louis

Subscribed. This thing is lookin good already! :cool:

13. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Great start! Looks real nice so far.

14. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

gotta love this old steel!

Attached Files:

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am glad you are keeping the fenders on ,it looks great!

16. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Playing around with some rear fenders and running board....original rear fenders were gone... borrowed some 330 wide Chopper fenders from a friends shop. They measure 14" wide..will need two per side for they are two short by themselves.

shot showing a single fender

[​IMG]

Here is a fender on top of anther fender to lenghten..will most likely go this route..will slice and join to make one fender outta the two.

[​IMG]

17. whisky runner

whisky runner

wow really nice .. still cant believe 500.00!!!!!.. i am really into watching this build..keep the progress coming.. nice engine.. i still think a inline 8 would look good stuffed in there.. but we all build by our own tastes..

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I've never even heard of that car before. It looks like you're doing right by it, though. It's weird seeing a hot rod-style car be that big. I'm diggin' it. I'll be checking in on this one for sure.

19. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I've always been puzzled why my engine rebuids never ran. I had the cam in the wrong place. LOL Lookin good!!!

20. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

I still check the garage every morning myself cause I can't beleive I got it for that price either!! Don't wake me if this is a dream!! LOL

I've heard the name, but never thought I'd find one. To many missing orginal parts to do a retoration and no aftermarket companies making stuff for these either!!

Still not sure on the rear fenders and runnign borads just yet...the look is not 100% clicking in my head. I love the front fenders and may just end up running those with a small running board ending at the "a" pillar...not sure yet..my mind always seems to change!!

LOL...Thanks!

21. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Ordered up some seats...they are replacement seats for a Jeep CJ5..$125 each.

I still need to build risers (about 5") and that should add a bit of comfort to driving!

[​IMG]

Front fenders mounted. 5 bolts and they come right off.

[​IMG]

Spent some time and got the passenger side running board welded up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some 1925 Chrysler fenders I'm going to modify to use instead of the cycle fenders I had on in previous pics...Just dont like the look of those on the car and I can make the Chrysler one "fit" the car better.

22. roddinron

roddinron

Cool car/build. Now that you have the rad location worked out, why don't you just shorten the front frame rails rather than extend the hood? Personally, I think the front looks too long, with such a rare and unique old car, I'd try to keep the original hood design so as not to lose too much of it's heritage.

23. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

That thought has been in my head too... May just do that. RIght now it's at 124" WB...def a little long!

Soon as I get power back at home from this storm I may just fire up the plasma cutter!!

Thanks for your input!!

24. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Looking good. The rear fenders might be a bit to round for the rest of the car like you mentioned.The Chrysler fenders will be a good place to start and should match the lines of the front close enough.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  25. pitman

pitman

The concept looks good, the NADA value spoke of this make of car. Great build.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  26. roddinron

roddinron

Glad you took it well, always risky to offer "input" on the HAMB!:D Glad you're not using the cycle fenders, they just look too round, the Chryslers ought to blend nicely. Nice work.

27. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Ahh I'm a pretty easy going guy....I just like to build this stuff for the fun of it, not to argue what is right or wrong. But Everyone is entitled to their own style and beliefs. :)

28. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

Sorry for the long delay in updating!! Been a month from hell!! Come on 2013!!!

Anyway...I've ditched the fenders!! thats it, not going back. I want a performace look and those fenders really held that look back!
    Finally got the exaust the way I like it..just have to final weld it all up.

have to tin up the interior next, mount my radiator, change out my rear gears...slow but should be done by spring!!

Here are a few pics!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. tbucket_tot

tbucket_tot
    from kentucky

That's going to be a rad ride, I never seen one before, you stole it!! Have fun!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  30. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana