Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What heater is in YOUR hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Sep 26, 2012.

1. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

SBC...... a poorly designed firewall & excessive engine setback. Can make a pizza in the interior on a Summer day.

BIG CHANGES coming this Winter (and then some) which will cure the problem.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Heaters are good when you drive home in your topless roadster after the fridge swap meet in Ballarat. Believe me........tuff guy.

3. Rok 51

Rok 51

I put a heater in the roadster when I built it, but didn't like the idea of those ugly hoses running thru the firewall, so it was never connected.

4. Ya just soft pete lol

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. You could check out TSC or a fork lift supply place. They have little 7"x7"x7" hot water heaters that work real well. They have flaps on the bottom to cotrol the heat there and you can punch a couple holes with a hole saw to hook to your defrosters.

Us Canadians know our heaters lol!!! Its no fun shivering along, the idea is to "look" cool!!

Bill

6. 5window

5window

This is the one I use but I bought an older model from another HAMBer. Heater's fine but it was really cute arranging it to fit and not be promiscuous in a Model A Coupe.

7. HRP this brings me back to this statement
    "Heater ?? Heater??? Don't need no stinkin heater!!!"
    And I am 64 :D:D:D:D
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I've used Vintage Airs' heater in my last two roadsters . The both worked good with no problems .

9. Cerberus

Cerberus

My 1936 Special Construction has a '78 Mustg II heater. Very small and easy to mount. Removed the ugly hoses after checking everything out. California has the most temperate climate in the US of A. Only takes 30 minutes to reconnect the hoses.

10. In my '29 A Tudor I use one of those 110w 12volt heaters stuck in my coat. That's the only way you feel the heat as they're pretty pathetic. Got caught in a snowstorm in the sedan and that thing held next to the windshield only thawed out an area about the size of a dollar bill.

I would be interested in trying one of the 300w heaters. Seems like it could heat up the small area of an A Sedan.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    chryslerfan55 and weps like this.
  11. My 36 has a v8 heater in the front.............. a flathead........

12. Neither the Coupe or Tudor have a heater, enough heat comes through from the motors for me:D, or if the wifey gets cold we keep a rug in each car anyway.

13. fordsoup

fordsoup
    from Altadena

Smith and Wesson...

14. jd55f100

jd55f100
    from alabama

my truck is perfect for the weather its cold during the winter and hot during the summer.......no heat no air no side glass.....bare bones is what its all about

15. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

This is why some of us need heaters!

Attached Files:

rusty valley likes this.
  16. the boogieman

the boogieman

i have a mohavy heater under the dash ugly but keeps me warm. the one from sumit!

17. Muttley

Muttley

I took the heater out of my Comet and threw it in the trash.................it was too heavy and served no purpose, kind of like my daughters mother.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's some cool heaters.

Attached Files:

19. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I fabbed one out of what I had on hand:
    A heater core from my junked Renault Dauphine and the blower motor and housing from my junked '65 Corvair.
    I used some aluminum sheet to mate the two together and it has worked fine since 1976.
    I liked the Dauphine core because it has bleeder valves to let the trapped air out.

20. I used commercial truck heaters in my 49 Merc and 46 GMC It gets damn cold up here .

21. GARY?

GARY?

Ouch, that's gonna' leave a mark :D

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I don't run a heater in my 35 phaeton, only side curtains, a jacket, scarf and beanie. It gets cold occasionally but not snow like you guys get. True fair weather motoring. Running AC in the next car but installing a NOS Southwind heater for aesthetics. I wouldn't trust actually hooking it up, too risky IMHO.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I can never understand people buying those modern aftermarket heaters when so much old stuff is available, the modern heaters just don't look right in old cars.
    The old arvins etc etc are so easy to update with a decent 12v fan, heres some of mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and mgtstumpy like this.
  24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love that idea, keep me informed. Something like that in my phaeton wouldn't look out of place.

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  25. so call me pussy for it isn't a hot rod, i got a roof AND a heater!

[​IMG]

26. mfp-66

mfp-66

unknown make i got off evilbay
    [​IMG]

i live in the wettest place in the UK so need a heater to demist the screen, in summer if we ever get one

27. I can attest to bgbdlinc's method of keeping warm on a December day in Canada...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  28. rustang

rustang

No heater other than the engine and tranny coming up through the floor boards... gets hot...

29. ratster

ratster

I used an old southwind heater. i gutted it and used a heater core and fan from a rear unit out of a Dodge Caravan. it will roast you out lol

[​IMG]

30. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

A jacket, a baseball cap and my sweetheart....what else is there??????