Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 mercury convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papo49merc, Oct 3, 2012.

1. papo49merc

papo49merc
    from La Habra

I have a 49 Mercury 4 door. I'm going to chop the roof off and turn it into a convertible. I really don't want a carson top. Is it possible to make a convertible top for it? Has anyone done this?

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure...it's been done, but there's a lot involved.

Gonna be blunt here...no disrespect. I'm actually making an attempt to save you a headache.

Unless you've got LOTS of knowlege, skills, money, time, etc...or you're able to pay someone big bucks to do the job...don't waste your time/money/efforts and ruin a perfectly good Mercury by attempting a project you likely won't finish. If you had asked almost any other question, I'd say, "Do your research and go for it." But as I mentioned...this is a huge undertaking...even for a pro.

If you can prove me wrong though...hat's off to ya.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

It has been done to some, and they have prevailed. The pics will be few and far between.. If you have no idea on what your doing it's going to be a pretty big challenge. I like to think I know what Im doing and I think it would be a pretty good undertaking..It never really rains here, sooo in all actuality, do you really need a top??;)

4. deto

deto

Sell the car and save for a convertible

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

If you have to ask it makes me question your abilities for a project of this magnitude(no disrespect intended)......why not just make a chopped coupe out of it if you want to cut it up that bad??

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I remember seeing it done with a early 70's big GM conert top,but it was done on a 2dr.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Whack the top off and make a tarp to cover it up when it rains. It's just tin!!!!

8. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

A well executed custom can be more valuable than the original untouched car but a hack job is and always will be a candidate for the salvage yard & crusher.

4-door convertible sedans were manufactured in the 30s and they were very nice cars and still quite valuable but they're few and far between. Dealing properly with roll up windows & division bars is a challenge let alone fabricating top bows, tackstrips, the housing well, & folding mechanisms. You also need to add a bunch of underlying structural reinforcements to keep the quarter panels from flapping in the breeze. I would study those old convertible sedans pretty close before I would pop the top off. You have to have a game plan for sure.

9. I agree with a couple of others here,,I am not questioning your ability but this idea is something seasoned builders would be afraid to attempt.

Read your own by line,,HRP

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”
    John Wayne

10. tommy v

tommy v

do it, i'm doin a two dr with a carson top to a conv. .never done it before but i got some buddys that have:):):)

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

No, no one has ever done this. Turning a 4 door into a convertible and not have it fold in half is one of the toughest things to do. Even the car factories won't tackle it. No one has made a 4 door convertible since Lincoln in the sixties.

Please take lots of pictures and write down a complete description of how you do it.