Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH....Ten homemade hot rod shop tools.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Mar 17, 2007.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GREEEEAAATTT friggin' TECH!!! Thanks Kev!! I love RR track! Have a nice little anvil from track and it has survived years of abuse!! Much nicer than anything someone could get at China Freight!

Thanks for sharin'!!

2. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

I just picked up a piece of RR track not a week ago, had the same idea to use as an anvil, thought I was being original. :)

3. I'm sure they've been making them since before I was born.

4. kustomkat

kustomkat

Great ideas, thanks for the great ideas...

5. PRoz

PRoz

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

[​IMG]

screw acme - KKLBT

TP

7. von Dyck

von Dyck

Yes, re-arching the main leaf in the opposite direction will effectively reverse the eyes. Works great on Model A front main leaf.
    Instead of using the BFH, use your hydraulic shop press. Some experimentation on a scrap leaf spring is needed. Press a little at a time every inch and a half along the full length of the leaf to get the desired curve. Use the same pressure for each press. Hand operated seems to work better than electric - personal preference. Also, stay away from pressing in the center-bolt area. Pressing here will likely crack the spring leaf. Curve each subsequently shorter leaf slightly more than the previous longer leaf. The assembled spring will have the OEM springiness restored. I've even done a pair of Chevy II mono-leafs with excelent results.

8. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

kevin rules. He has helped me so many times over the years. He has a huge old magazine collection for ideas.. He has files of different models of cool built cars cut out of magazines. Very neat stuff

He is quick and good at making anything go together
    great post kev

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

good stuff wiley--where the crap you finding rr track? I think of of the 38 trains that blow through my town daily would miss it if I acquired an easily locatable piece.

thumbs up on the inginuity

10. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

No offense to anyone, but THIS post should have been the TECH winner - HANDS DOWN.
    Great Stuff.

11. Nominal

Nominal

Was searching for this thread, and thought it was well worth a bump.

12. willymakeit

willymakeit

Keep the tips coming. I love looking at and making some of this stuff.

13. Winner Winner Chicken dinner

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I love the ACME touch on the anvil!

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. chevy3755

chevy3755

thanks Kiwi........

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to make me one of those toe gauges!

17. Must be a lot of train track missing in California to make some of those tools.....:)

18. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

This is awsome!
    Killer idea. you should see the cool ovals and eggs i make. :D

19. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Thanks for the information. I have a old RR anvil past down from my dad.

20. KenHMT

KenHMT

Useful!!

Added to the homemadetools.net database: http://www.homemadetools.net/toe-in-gauge

Ken

21. Ed ke6bnl

Ed ke6bnl

if this is used on an A arm vehicle will lifting the vehicle off the ground affect the readings?

22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

you should ALWAYS measure toe on the ground.

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

great post kev you sure excell at creative craftiness!

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Damn, a seven year old post gets resurrected again for tech week...!!! Nice...

R-

25. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

So will I.;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Love this kind of stuff. For sheet metal break I use 2 pieces of angle iron in my vice jaws with the angle on the jaws with the metal between the angle iron. then I bend the metal how I want it. Works good on small stuff. I got the idea from an old HOTROD mag tech article years ago. Thanks again.................

27. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

To the people that were looking for pieces of rail to make anvils out of, try your search engine like Google. I came up with enough answers to keep me busy reading for an hour.
    Different sizes of rail have different heat treats. If you have a choice, get main line rail like 132 or 156. That's the weight for 3 feet.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  28. k9racer

k9racer

Sorry I can not post photos but for a 3 rd hand when welding something that cannot be easly clamped. I use a upper control arm and the ball joint will hold the peace in place while welding.

29. JMF TAG

JMF TAG

Attached is a photo of a simpler toe stick that made while working for an alignment shop that used no computers. They used chalk sourced from a company that sold railroad supplies to give something to lay the scribe line into. I just use sidewalk chalk now. The yellow ended device has a slash tip figuring it would be more precise since the pencil tip could blunt. I made three of the second style 2007 to sell while I was getting my own shop rolling.

The important changes over what that shop was using include laying the cross bar right on the feet so it would work under really low cars. Cutting the feet short enough to slide under really low cars. The pointer is taller than theirs to get closer to axle height. And, the slider tubes on the pointers themselves are long enough to help keep them from tipping when you tighten the set screw. Also, putting the set screws on the top means they can only tilt the pointers one direction for more stable readings.

Jeff

PS, yes, this is posted in two threads. It relates to both topics, so here it is.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Atwater Mike likes this.
  30. Hammer-Formed Floorboards:

I made a cardboard template of each floorboard piece, then a male buck from 1/2" MDF; slightly smaller than the final floorboard size to allow for flange thickness.

... and temporarily screwed & clamped 18 ga. sheet metal to the buck with a bit over 1/2" overlap on each side.
    20171218_192908-1.jpg

The buck's slots are for my "caveman bead roller"; I pounded a 1/4" diameter steel rod against the metal above each slot until it deformed into a nice straight stiffening bead. :eek:
    20171221_173718-1.jpg 20171221_174801-1.jpg

...then clamped each edge with an angle iron brace (an old bed frame) and gently pounded over a 90* flange.
    20171221_181255-1.jpg

Finally, the flanges were trimmed and screw holes welded shut.

Right now, all the pieces are just press-fit into place. I'll plug-weld them to the existing subrails & cross-rails after all undercarriage work is complete.
    20171222_190545-1.jpg 20180214_204715-1.jpg

Wife weight-tested with no deflection. :p 20180214_210327-1-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    sko_ford, jakespeed63, ABONES and 2 others like this.