Register now to get rid of these ads!

Classic Car Friendly Inspection in Austin?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AustinThunderbird, Oct 2, 2012.

1. AustinThunderbird

AustinThunderbird
    from Austin, TX

Hi All

I searched and saw a pretty old thread (2009) about this and thought I would create a new one to get updates.

The car will pass inspection just fine i think, but I was wondering if anyone had a referral to a place here in Austin that they have had great experiences with, or places to stay away from.

I have this nightmare that some kid that has never driven a car with all drum brakes does a road test and dings up my front end, or bottoms out over a speed bump.

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Years ago I had put a green metalflake Grant wheel on my car and the inspection station refused to pass it unless I put the original wheel back on, so I understand your concerns

3. toe-knee

toe-knee
    from Austin, TX

Kwik Kar Lube and Tune on William Cannon and Brodie just passed my 1956 Buick. (to be completely honest, they shouldn't have.)
    -tony

4. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

the inspection people actually drive your car?

5. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

dont know what part of austin your at but the firestone in pflugerville by wells branch always did my classic inspections when i lived there. the guys there like old cars and i usually could talk them into passing me.

6. dgang26

dgang26

Hohmann Automotive - South Austin on Circle Drive.

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I dont really want to do the "antique" plate route and have the same nightmare times a million in letting some dude go drive my Model A. With the chop, channel, big wheel and narrow space for feet I can see the guy not finding the brake pedal or someting. Have no idea what to do.

8. belair

belair

They don't usually do a 'road test'. Ususally just a quick pass in the parking lot to check stuff.

9. TexasDart

TexasDart

They use to drive my 65....but I went the antique plate route...no more inspections and only have to renew every five years and only one plate.

10. AustinThunderbird

AustinThunderbird
    from Austin, TX

live central Austin right near downtown so looks like there's a few places very close.. thanks!

11. isky1843

isky1843

1 more vote for antique plates. If you get pulled over, you are on the way to the, parts store, car club meeting, shake down run, something didn't sound right so I'm trying to find out what it is, etc...... No sweat. Most LE either don't know or don't care about the rules behind antique plates anyway but doesn't hurt to have a story.

12. In Leander on old 183 and south st. Yellow building. Some hotrodders in there.

13. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

FNG -- and sorry about reviving an old thread here...but to Texans that have had their cars inspected: do you recall whether or not they tested your turn signals on your pre-'60s cars? I've read that it's exempt on pre-'60s cars/light trucks, although an inspection place told me it would be checked (albeit the guy just fired that off without much thought and I doubt he gets many classics in there). My truck is titled as a '51 and will pass on everything else. It all comes down to the inspection place but I thought I'd ask if anyone here has experienced the same thing (and any further classic car friendly inspection place recommendations would be appreciated) before I register my car in Austin, Texas. I'd rather just stick my arm out the window and let sleeping dogs lie on the turn signals.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here you go F1 Ford and anyone else who wants to know the ins and outs of the Texas inspection. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx
    When I lived there and worked in a dealership in Waco I never saw the guy who did the inspections take a car out for a test drive. At the most he took a car out in the lot and hit the brakes to make sure they worked ok.

15. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks, Mr48chev. I lurk a lot and your comments have helped out a lot.

16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

If it came with blinkers its supposed to have them, if not your good. Run YOM plates and you dont have to run reg/insp stickers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I am a couple of hours south east of Austin down in Yoakum. On my 46 coupe I have the Classic Car plates instead of the Antique as there are no driving restrictions with the Classic plates. These Classic plates require an inspection but anything not offered as standard when manufactured is not required for inspection with the exception that anything you have installed as an upgrade must work. If it was not offered standard when new & if it ain't there then it is not required.
    Coopers Auto Care in Yoakum service manager is well versed in what is and is not required for these inspections & usually does the inspetions on these old cars himself. Their test drive consists of driving across parking lot, exiting to street on north side of lot, going to corner stop sign & turning right & going 1/2 block to lot entrance on west side & back across lot. This allows them to test the brakes at stop sign & once again just before re entering their lot. He does not jam the brakes, just verifies they work properly.
    As I purchased the car last year in Kansas & trailered it home he was also well versed in the required extra paperwork form needed so I could proceede to get it lisensed. No problems encountered with them. But like many of today's auto repair shops they really don't like to do major repairs on the old cars without computers as many modern mechanics cannot diagnose problems on their own.
    In Texas the classic car plates are a good choice if you wish to drive it regularly.
    Jimmie

18. F1 Ford

F1 Ford
    from California

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna go with YOM plates or the classic plates. Wish I lived a little closer to Yoakum. Coopers sounds like the place to go!