Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1928Fordman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

I found this engine at a friends place. If you guys have any idea of what this engine might be please let me know. Thanks

IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG IMG_0363.JPG

2. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Gueder, paeschke& frey made/wholesaled tinware and furniture in the late 1800's through the 30's.apparently engines too.

3. Looks aircraft like

4. I kind of agree with Steve here. My first thought it was aiircraft maybe marine, but looking at it it resembles the henderson engines that were converted to aircraft use. Not saying it is a henderson engine, but it reminds me that way the rear mount is setup.

Anyway I believe polako is on the right track here.

5. i don't think that is aircraft. i am no means an expert , but i have been around airplanes...some of them vintage...about all my life and never heard of one

i'm thinking marine.

6. logride

logride
    from CB IA

I have never dumped the clutch in a aircraft.

7. Gueder, Paeschke & Frey was an early supplier of drawn sheet metal for the auto manufacturers. They made oil pans, gear covers, cam covers, rocker covers, radiator shells, pulleys, mufflers and all other kinds of sheet metal items like milk cans, buckets, lunch pails etc.
    Where is the tag on that engine? I would bet it's soldered to a sheet metal part.
    It doesn't look aircraft to me, nor is it a Henderson. Hendersons were air cooled fours, that engine is a six. The converted Hendersons retained the air cooling.
    It looks like a typical, early, auto engine with it's two piece crankcase and bolted on cylinder block.
    I'd sure drag it out and try to identify it. Someone out there might pay a hefty amount for it if it's not busted up or some common make

8. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The Gueder, Paeschke & Frey tag is on the oil pan, so that may be the only part they made.

Found this in an SAE journal online.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And it may not have anything to do with the engine at all. There are folks nowadays that bolt hemi-looking valvecovers to SBC's, so sticking the tag from a milk can onto an engine may be someone's idea of a long forgotten joke.

There were a lot of early engines built like that, with cast iron cylinders bolted to an aluminum crankcase. Cadillac was one, but theirs were V8's, not inline 6's.

10. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

Yes the tag is on the oil pan.

11. 1928Fordman

1928Fordman

On the front of the engine it looked like it had a hand crank similar to a Model T.

12. I would think that there would be a casting number, or something to identify it somewhere, or possibly pull it out and get some better pictures...

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

[​IMG]
    Look at the right side cover there. Maybe one of those walking beam engines? With the vales horizontal and long rockers from the cam down low.

could be a real barn find:D

14. I didn't say it was a Henderson I said that the rear mount reminded me of the hendersons that were converted to air craft use.

I guess I didn't make that clear. Sorry for the confusion.

15. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I found that company name listed under a cooperative tractor catalog as being a supplier of MANY parts. including radiators, fluid containers, and pans/transmission covers. i'm guessing that the engine is out of a tractor. maybe a waukesha.

16. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Possibly an industrial engine of some sort?

17. dig it out and take a bunch more pic's!

18. silversink

silversink

waukasha eng.s had their name cast all over the engines. I have a 4cyl Waukasha.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Tractor engine maybe,lot of tractor were made back then made up of parts from many Co.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It looks like a 6 cylinder engine from an expensive car from the early to mid 20s. A lot of cars in the medium and high priced field used six cylinder engines but not many used OHV engines at that time. Some that did were Buick, Nash, Marmon and Stephens.

Put those pics on the AACA site and I bet someone will identify it.

AACA Forums

21. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

To me it looks military. Back then many more military engine companies like Hurcules existed.

If you go to Hurcules website, its almost a dead ringer

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm going with the Buick, Marmon, etc. comment. However, I would think that better ID would be somewhere on the block.

23. I don't know what's "military" looking about it. Hercules(sp) is an engine builder, not a military engine builder. They have built engines for civilian as well as military use.
    It is highly unlikely to be a stationary unit. It was an expensive engine with the OHV setup. All of the early stationary engines, that I've seen, are flatheads.
    The engine appears to be set up for a clutch. This doesn't preclude it from being a stationary engine, but it does suggest it came from a vehicle.
    The wide mounting ears at the rear are very common on engines of that era and don't really point at any particular usage.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

With 6 cylinders and OHV it would not have been built as stationary, but MANY engines were converted for stationary use after the car was scrapped and it is entirely possible that the tangle of lumber is the remains of a platform to use this thing that way.

25. 1912Staver

1912Staver

Your mystery engine is a "cage valve" Buick 6 from about 1921 to 1923 at the latest. The 1916 and up engines are similar but have exposed rockers and push rods. As they get newer Buick added more tin to keep oil in and dirt out. 1924 was a brand new engine with many difference's including a removable head.
    Hope this helps, Greg in Canada

26. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I used to pick up at the engine plant in canton Ohio. They put the engines in sealed containers for the military. As soon as I saw the engine, the Hurcules engines popped right into mind. Its almost a dead ringer. I checked the website, and they where there as well. Alotta people pulled them out of old Willys, and jeeps back int he day, and put V8s.

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

1922 Buick 6

[​IMG]

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I was a Motor pool mechanic and every willys Jeep i saw had a Willys engine in it. All of them were four cylinder engines. Our other trucks were Dodge flathead sixes. GMC sixes. Reo sixes or Continental six cylinder engines. We had several Studebaker 2 and 1/2 ton trucks, but they had Reo engines. Never saw a Hercules.

29. skoh73

skoh73

My buddy Doug Geuder's grandfather was part owner of the company. he's told me some pretty crazy history about the company. They made the very first Mickey Mouse lunchbox ever. It is the holy grail of lunchboxes for collectors and draws a fortune. I'll send him a link to this thread and see what info he may be able to provide.

30. Master of None

Master of None

Sure looks the same, with the rest of the needed essentials.