Register now to get rid of these ads!

what are these (packard guys?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeb1934, Sep 28, 2012.

1. joeb1934

joeb1934

these came from an auction with a BUNCH of packard items. i have 2 of them, but have no idea what they are. thought i'd check here before they go for scrap. they appear to be aluminum. i would sell them both if someone wants to make an honest offer, i just need to know what they are first. thank you.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like an industrial part, not a car part.

3. unkamort

unkamort

sand casting molds?

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

5. joeb1934

joeb1934

i initially thought some sort of transmission pan spacer or something like that. i'm not going to get too crazy with my search. if someone here doesn't have an idea, it'll go in the scrap pile.

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

didnt they use big packard mills in Pt boats during wwll ? it might be a part for one of them

7. joeb1934

joeb1934

8. oldolds

oldolds

It is part of the tooling to rebuild the later automatics. There are about 5 or 6 pieces of tooling needed to work on them. I have had the tools before, never worked on a trans to really know what they do.

9. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Something to a Packard floor mounted heater?

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Too lazy to put them on "That Auction Site'? :confused: Bob

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd throw them on "that auction site with a real reasonable starting price. There must be someone out there looking for those. Hell, if you get ten bucks out of them it's ten bucks you didn't have an hour ago.
    Of course I guess there are those who think things like that are made of unobtainium and price them accordingly and end up throwing them in the scrap pile because no one bit on their escalated price.

12. squirrel

squirrel

That makes sense....

13. Google

Krw tools ,

, there's guys that go crazy collecting the stuff.
    Specialty automotive tool manufacturer.

14. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Did they come in a Fed Ex box,lol ?

Gaz !

15. joeb1934

joeb1934

they were with a bunch of stuff i got at an auction. the guy had a lot of packard items. as for being too lazy to put them on fee bay, i'm now against selling on their site. too friggin' expensive to list. if someone would like to buy, feel free to make an offer. i'll do some checking when i get a minute. i don't need them, so if you think you do, speak up.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

KR WILSON WAS THE FACTORY SERVICE TOOL PROVIDER FOR FORD MOTOR COMPANY as Miller Tools were the factory service tool provider for Chrysler Corp. They probably also made service tools for other makes...OR this is something for Ford service.

17. I'm in with the transmission tool theory. It looks like a riser bolted in place of the pan so it could be jockeyed on a bench. Look up pan gasket patterns and see what comes close.

Bob

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, KRW made tools for Packard at one point. I have some gauges. I think they can be ID'd from a Packard shop manual from the rather short span of years with Packard built AT's.

19. Normbc9

Normbc9

There were Packard Marine V-12 gas engines in the US Navy PT Boats (Some flat head Cadillac V-12's too) and the Packard engines were an adaptation off an old Liberty aircraft engine. This is a cover off the side of the valve adjustmet access port. I don't know which side. Maybe one of the old Elco or Higgins PT Boaters could tell you.
    Normbc9