Register now to get rid of these ads!

5.0 Delima

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by archie41, Sep 30, 2012.

1. archie41

archie41
    from dandridge

I am working on a '32 Ford pickup with a 5.0 Mustang/AOD tran combo. I have the truck nearly finished, but before I insatlled those bis ass fenders I wanted to make sure the motor starts and runs with no leaks. Herein lies the delima...The motor turns over very nicely, but I only get a spark on the first two revolutions. After that there is no spark. I have replaced the thick film module on the side of the distributer, the coil (even though it was new) I swapped out the distributer with one from another 5.0 motor all with the same results No spark! Wires are new, cap and rotor are new and the motor was running when I bought it from the salvage yard. Anyone got any good ideas????

2. Cerberus

Cerberus

I had the same problem when I installed a 5.0 with AOD in my '36 Special Construction" roadster. The ign module was defective. Had a new module installed, and the engine fired right up.

3. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

This is a shot in the dark.Is it a fuel injected?If not you may have to change to non-fuel injected distributor from a 85 mustang. If you have an HO 5.0 you have to use a H.0 dist because it has a different firing order than a regular 5.0 like the ones found in Grand Marquis and LTD's.Hope this helps.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

While the firing order did change, all that is necessary is to put the plug wires in the appropriate sequence on the cap.

If you really are mixing & matching distributors - watch the distributor gear material - specifically, if you have the factory roller cam or not.

However, the OP says the ignition fails after a few revolutions. I'd second the TFI module - you said you replaced it, but with a new one, or used?

Check all the wiring to the distributor well. Could be loose/broken wire causing intermittent contact.