Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Pontiac leaf spring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Sep 27, 2012.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I have been looking for a used 55 Pontiac leaf spring for my son's car for over a year. Either nobody has one or they don't get around to pulling it. I need one badly. Is there any other makes that would swap? What about other years?

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

chevy would interchange i would think.

3. scotts52

scotts52

Tried that, although it was from a 57. It was either too long or too short. Can't remember which.

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

any spring shop can roll you a main leaf --then use that chevy spring to build the rest---worked for me---good luck

5. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Tri-five Chevie parts aren't likely to work unless the Pontiac is Canadian. Ask me how I know.

6. Midget25

Midget25

Like Black 62 said I would go to a spring shop, getting used/ miss matched springs to set even is asking alot.

7. Try Mike Eaton's Eaton Detroit Spring. They build new leaf springs to the factory drawings at a very reasonable price and if you need something special they can build it right in. Just tell him what you are trying to do. Mike Eaton knows more about leaf springs than most anyone alive and he's a rodder.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This sounds crazy, but try J.C. Whitney. I ordered a pair of 1956 Chevrolet Station Wagon leaf springs from them years ago, and they were very cheap compared to everyone else, and the quality was first rate. I'm sure they just had a contract with a local spring shop also. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I thinks there's a differance also if it's a Starchief or Chieftain. Are you missing one completely or just need some leafs? I have some extra parts and pieces. Probably just 55-57 Pontiac.

Aren't you the guy that got the axle shaft from me?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  10. atomickustom

atomickustom

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

They probably have them in stock, and if they don't they can make them. (And their prices really are quite reasonable.)

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not buy new ones from the local spring shop, $150 to $200 a pair. Do not try to use one old spring and one new one.

If that is too much go to the junkyard and buy a spring of the same width and leaf thickness. Use your old main leaf and use the new spring to replace the broken leaves. Do not remove the old spring from the car just unbolt the axle and remove the center bolt from the spring.

12. There is a difference between Star Chief and 860/870 series.The Star Chief(124" WB)springs are about 3" longer.I have a pair that I bought for my Safari and found out that it uses the shorter ones.If you were closer you could have them;they are just taking up space in my shop.

13. scotts52

scotts52

Mine is completely broke in half. Nothing left to use.

I believe I am the one that got the axle shaft. It was the correct length but the splines are different from the Oldsmobile. Now I know. I have an extra shaft for a project some day now. :)

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"Mine is completely broke in half. Nothing left to use."

Looks like you are in for new springs. I would suggest checking Hollander manual for interchange. But if it tells you 56 Pontiac what good would it do? They all disappeared from the junk yards years ago.

The only thing left if you can't afford new springs is to measure the old one, hit the junk yards and start measuring all the old pickup trucks and SUVs. They are about the only thing that uses leaf springs anymore. Don't forget, you need the right length from the front eye to the center bolt as well as overall length. You can adjust the strength by adding or removing leaves.

15. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I never got to give you a big thanks for resending the MO out after it was damaged. The side gears could have been changed between the Pontiac 10 spline and Olds 16 spline if that helps.

16. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

Hey 55chieftain, You seem to know a lot about the 55 Pontiac. I have a Star Chief Hardtop that has a whinny rear end I'd like to replace. It's the original 3.06 and I would like to go to about 3.50/3.73. I'm running a crate 350 and 700R4. Are there any bolt in replacements? I'm not skilled enough to convert a Ford 9 inch or anything like that. Most of the after market stuff cost an arm and leg. Being 80 years old I just have limited funds.

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

The standard gear for manual trans was 3.64 if you could find a decent one. If your talking a complete rear 57 Pontiac is the closest but expensive. I use a explorer 8.8 w 3.73 which is about 1" narrower than stock. Perches will need to be moved , also it's a 4.5 bolt pattern. Stock width is about 60.5",

18. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Where abouts in Washington St are you? Pm me if you wish..

19. castleman1111

castleman1111

i think i have two!! let me know the measurements!!

20. scotts52

scotts52

Well, I'm not real sure I am measuring 100% correctly but it looks to be right around 60". The ends are tapered differently than the Chevy's.