Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doane Spencer,... Rolling Bones,.... And a Grumpy Ol' Man

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Why is it when someobody does good... somebody, somewhere, wants to knock you off your pedestal?

:D

Sam

2. beater32

beater32

And the point of this thread is what exactly....:confused:

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Boy . . . this is interesting

( Harms Way . . . thanks )

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Wow !,......

I finally got some sleep !..... First of all I would like to thank the 1 (ONE) person that gave this thread the one star rating...... Secondly lets define "The look" I was talking about and that the Rolling Bones guys readely admidt was the insperation for there front ends..... The Doane Spencer Roadster,... In fact the first article I ever read on the rolling bones coupes started out with "If Doane Spencer built a 3 Window"

Pretty simple guys,..... Stock Deuce Heavy axle, slightly moved back crossmember, Axle travel behind the lower skirt of the Deuce grill shell, and spring mounted behind the axle.......

I am sure all you guys that are doing all the questioning of my criteria know, and can see this, but your just looking for the "got'ca" angle..... Once again never said anything disparaging abut the RB guys,.... And all your responces to defend them shows how much you care about them and respect them...... GOOD ! I am glad to see this. But NOBODY attacked them in the first place!,.... Just wanted to give credit where credit is due....... To Doane Spencer,... Just like the RB guys do.

(Thanks Pete,...... I know you get what this thread was about)

5. sinticket

sinticket

NOPE we SOLD it!!! To late:D

6. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Interesting thread, I think Ken & Keith always gave Doane credit for the "Look". The "Rolling Bones Look" tag has kinda been hung on them. They do build some nice pieces & drive the crap out of them, so get some rest. There are lot's of uniformed people out there.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The 'problem' with Rolling Bones is that I don't have one in my garage, but then again I don't have a garage and it would have to sit outside, but the patina value would increase. The Bones are the greatest low key bunch of guys that I see and meet at Speed Week, and when they said "Sure go sit in Potee's new three window,,," it was one of thoes magical moments that remains with me.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I vote who cares?

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

my rolling bones car in a 'finished' state, no faux patina...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bingo. Well said.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Agreed, and he does here too. But I dont think anyone is really arguing that point. I guess realistically, this thread is pretty futile. Maybe not, even if just a couple guys that didnt before, start giving a mental tip of the hat to Mr. Spencer when they look at a front end built in this style, then it has served its purpose.:)

12. pitman

pitman

I need another pilgrimage to Saratoga, that is one good time sirs!
    No better shop to visit in the Northeast...well, Tilton, NH ain't too bad either. ;)

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I'm subscribing to this thread,just so's to record the facts correctly in case I ever get quizzed.

14. ChefMike

ChefMike

get some rest you need it !

15. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

What?! You mean my roadster's not finished?! Ken you bastard - I want my money back!

[​IMG]

Regards

Jon'.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Haha!! :)

They certainly influenced me and we're more than happy to answer questions, provide photos, etc...

[​IMG]

Malcolm

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Harms Way, Thank you for somewhat fuzzily stating something I have been thinking for about ten years now. Once again, no disrespect meant to the Rolling Bones guys at all. If your going to be influenced by something, might as well make it the best - Right? But I think Tony back on post #57 probably came closest to nailing it when he said that it's who does something most reacently that gets the nod. We have allot of guys in this deal now that ten years ago didn't know a Deuce from a Model "A", and that was when the first of the Rolling Bones cars made their splash.

I'm glad that you thought enough (or halucinated enough) to let this thought out of the bag, 'cause everywhere around us history gets rewritten and goes away. Stuff like this keeps it straight for all to enjoy.

to the comment that the forties and fifties got the look nailed and it never really went away, Bingo! I'll bet not allot of you guys remember when Dave Gale out of Ohio did a near replicant of the Spencer car in the late seventies, then redid it a bit slicker for himself in the early nineties. A bit later, he did a similar '32 three window that ended up here in Phoenix with Jon Gobatti for a bit, too. The styles never really go dormant, ya just have to look a bit to see them. Our whole world has gotton ALLOT smaller because of the internet and the H.A.M.B. in particular, too.

To the response that wondered what the Spencer car "would have looked like" with the Halibrands and finished only needs to grab any of the Rod & Custom mags from around the T.R.O.D.A. era and look. Neal East ran small window halibrands on that car for most of the seventies and eighties.

Oh, and Harms Way, if your looking for anoying animals to do something about, you are invited to hang out here at Hot Rod Central for a bit and tell me why these damn pigeons are roosting on TOP of the Pigeon control spikes I climbed 24 feet up a ladder to place....Pardon me while I grab my airsoft gu and do some pigeon control!

18. oldsboy

oldsboy

I have to say I have to agree with Malcom....I too have paid a lot of attention to the rolling bones and have had the honor of meeting them. They have definitely lead to the inspiration behind how my Sedan is coming along.

I believe they are continuing on a style or interpretation of what Doane was apart of in the early days. Its not a matter of who started what. Hot Rodding doesn't seem to have specific answers... just different solutions.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  19. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Who cloned the look as the "Rolling Bones Look" ? I think everyone other than the Bones, but what do I know...

Love them or hate them, they do have their look with the spirit thrown in there of a previous Deuce or 33/34.... Keep up the good or bad word on the Bones, it is free marketing. They cerainly drive their "gow jobs".... Ooooops, do we have to argue over that phrase ?

Ummmmm post, time for a snooze....

20. n847

n847

Thanks Larry...I really meant that as a question. Oh and for the record that car is bad f'n ass props to you and the crew that built it! I really dig the look of their cars. But if you ask 9 out of ten guys the first thing that comes to mind when they hear RB will be bad ass rides with faux patina, so thats where I got that idea from! That is primarily the fault of Hotrod and Rod and Custom mags. I only hope that I can build a car to that level some day!

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

HISTORY QUESTION: Race cars,and Hot Rods that were raced over a period of time, lets say 10 years were under constant change and updates to stay competitive. Just when did the Doane Spencer '32 get that front end upgrade that we call the "Rolling Bones" look? How many chassis ( or changes to the same one) did Doane have under his '32? I've got a photo somewere and it's on the HAMB of an early Spencer chassis with a front step or Z, I don't think the restored cars has this feature. Bob

22. brady1929

brady1929

[​IMG]

one of the most beautiful hot rods i have ever laid eyes on.

23. 117harv

117harv

24. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

.....no doubt.....

25. ^^^ Yes Sir ^^^

My current built is heavily influenced by Larry's old car - Love It.

26. sling392shot

sling392shot

When PWood speaks, ya just gotta listen. :)

27. Jealosy is a very ugly thing......

28. Larry T

Larry T

Hum, can I weigh in on the whole "who did it first" deal, not necessarily this particular style.
    I've sort of figured out that you can't really nail down "who did it first" on any modification. Pete & Jake didn't invent the Four Bar front end and I'll bet Doane Spencer wasn't the first to put the spring behind the axle.

Just because "We" never saw an earlier modification, doesn't mean there wasn't one.

People have been modifiying cars for almost 100 years. I don't think there are any idea that haven't been tried before.

And as long as I'm here, not everything printed in old magazines is "Gospel truth", any more than everything on the internet is real either. Is the McMullen roadster really the McMullen roadster or did someone else have a hand in building it.

I'll agree with the "Standing on someones shoulders" post above. But do we know who's shoulders they were standing on?

I need more coffee.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yes,.... You mean the "Don Hudson Roadster"......:cool:

I'm still in Branson, but now I'm whistling show tunes, eating deep fried cob corn,...and ready to pull my hair out,...... the bird is dead, I don't know where the spider went and the old man with the cane is avoiding me,.. but still flips me off when he sees me.....

Do you guys really want me to open another can of worms ????;)

Ladies and Gentleman,.....
    Please allow me to introduce
    The Don Hudson Roadster​

(before it was the McMullen Roadster):D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  30. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I've read on Doane Spencer after doing some research on the HAMB... But the first inspiration came from the Rolling bones for my project, and I really thanks them for their help.

[​IMG]