Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods do you really drive yours?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasmanm01, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

2500 miles last month.

Attached Files:

2. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

7k miles with slicks this year so far
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

I keep telling my insurance guy "I don't buy them to sit in a garage and collect dust."

For me, it's one of these two until the snow flies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The panel truck made a 1300 mile round trip over the 4th of July to go camping in central Nebraska...

And, not sure how it works in other states, but in Illinois, you can register your car as an "antique" for little of nothing. HOWEVER, the only time you're allowed to drive it on public streets is if you're taking it to/from getting repaired or to/from a car show or parade. Which is why mine will never be licensed that way.

4. fatkoop

fatkoop

I drive my 40 at least every other day. Not just short trips either, its been several thousand miles this summer, and more than 50,000 in the past 6-8 years. By the way, thats with a '64 283 and all stock '40 drivetrain, brakes, steering, etc.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

When I have a live old car it becomes my only transportation.

6. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yep, mine to, met you in Austin 2 years ago on a long trip!

7. liljonny

liljonny
    from menifee,ca

I drive me 58 everyday. Daily driver. When it breaks I fix it as fast as I can cuz can't pay the bills when u can't get to work!

8. I don't bag on guys that trailer there cars or only get them out of the garage when all planets are aligned correctly.Everyone has their own way of enjoying their old cars I guess. But, I don't get it. I drive mine a lot. To work ,around town, to the hardware store, whatever. Honestly, if it's too precious to drive then I don't need it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. squirrel

squirrel

Of course I drive mine.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Preaching to the choir....

11. conormulroney

conormulroney

I only have three vehicles. A '54 Ford F100, '65 Morris Mini Traveler wagon and a '67 Lambretta 125 Special. I do carpool to work, so, my coworker has to ride in the Mini or the truck!

12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I just finished a little 1500 mi cruise with my buddy to Andys' Picnic and GG Pleasanton . 17K in the past 4 years , always a good time.

Attached Files:

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, for every guy who drives his rod daily or puts a lot of miles on it weekly or monthly there are ten who have a book full of lame excuses why they can't drive their hot rod on a regular basis.

I don't blame a guy for not beating his hot rod or custom to death on a daily commute in a lot of the areas of the country. My little 23 mile jaunt isn't bad but I'd hate to do the same 23 miles in the Seattle Metro area every day at rush hour.

It's the guys who have a good, safe and reliable car that don't drive it on a somewhat regular basis and alway have a lame excuse why they don't drive it that bug me. I've tried to talk a former coworker into taking his knock out little Shoebox Ford to the East West flathead run for the past two years but he is scared to death that someone will nitpick the car. That car can hold it's own with the best of them and is 100% HAMB friendly.

Personally I'd like to see more one day reliability run type events where the participants met somewhere, cruised the back roads for a couple of hours with a couple of stops at interesting places and then made a no host lunch and bs stop. Then circle on back to the starting point or close to it. Small or no entry fee, no trophies and hopefully a lot of fun.

14. mattmartin

mattmartin

heres my truck.. ive put around 15-20,ooo miles on it in the last year. people trip out on the fact that i sit on the floor in it and go for 160 mile rides in it. driving them is what theyre for

Attached Files:

15. Spooky

Spooky

Yep! Drive this pick up 70 miles round trip every day.

Attached Files:

16. morabuffalo

morabuffalo

I have been asking/discussing that of my sons(a 49-Rat and 50-Hot Chevy Pickups), too. They have been telling me how many vintagesss are out there for years...My 48 Chevy Pickup(all original) has been in under junk for too many years...finally made it to LV in April...some 1500+ miles...and to ranch every other weekend some 400 miles. I saw an old pickup this past weekend...the weekend before a couple from Deming on vacation to Colorado in 57 Ford Fair at a gas station...too bad they were headed in the other direction....But not many out there!

I travel about 50-55...4.11 rear...and enjoy it. Rushed...who me...why get there fast...enjoy it!

I plan to be going to Padre Island, LV, possible Fun Run in AZ, camping this next year...so far. I have concerns about the Padre Island run...but that is a discussion I want to bring up in another post.

OH...from here on out I will be trailering my Original 48 Pickup with 4.11 rear...granny...50 miles per hour! IT WILL BE PULLING A 1963 CARDINAL TRAILER!!! ...for much of the trips. So for those who trailer...put that in your pipe and.....

OH(2)...I stop for old vintagesss on the side of the road!

OH(3)...My first trip out with the trailer will be hopefully in about a week...camping. I have been working on the Lovebird.

Keeping it on the road...at 50 and enjoying it, Rod

17. PRB

PRB
    from Az

I've put 200 miles on it in a day driving locally from town to Phx and back. About 10k a year so far....never had any issues with it, love SBC's.

18. sophisto79

sophisto79

Drive my F1 every chance I get...it's therapy from all the work BS. The new 327 just begs to be driven, and not gently. Almost 1k miles on it already. She just doesn't like the "cold" SF starts (need a choke).

19. deto

deto

Shit and I just sent in an application for Guinness book of world records cuz I thought NO ONE else uses their ride as a daily. Thanks HAMB for foiling my plans. Drat. Now if you will excuse me the forecast says 10% chance of rain and I have to load one of my cars back into the trailer...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I drove my 51 Pontiac 1300 miles in a weekend. Just cause.

But it was the only car I had.

Now all I have is a 46 chevy and a 50 GMC

I dont like new cars. :)

21. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Drive my '61 Suburban everywhere. In the last 7 years I've had it in 20 states, from Texas and Florida to Illinois and Pennsylvania.

I just got back from driving it to Pennsylvania for a back-packing trip, and came home with some junkyard scores from PA and Virginia.

And I don't drive Miss Daisy in the right lane, either... left lane, 75-80mph.

Is that monthly cruise you're talking about the one in Canton? I need to get over there and pass out fliers for the NE Georgia Swap Meet. When is the next one?

-Brad

22. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Have put over 350,000 miles on the 61 Tempest in the last 15 years. Have been all over the southwest US. I average between 20 & 35K miles per year. Car has well over 500K on it!!! August of 2011 she went on a road trip to northern Ohio & back. 4460 miles in 9 days. We left northern Ohio at 8 PM on a sunday evening & was back in Phoenix at 10 AM Tuesday morning. Averaged 26 miles per gallon! Cars are made to be driven!!! Get out & drive yours!!! This trip to Ohio was in a 50 year old car with NO A/c, no power steering or brakes!!!

Leaving Phoenix

[​IMG]

Tucumcary NM.

[​IMG]

St Louis

[​IMG]

Pontiac Ill.

[​IMG]

Dayton Ohio

[​IMG]

Norwalk Ohio

[​IMG]

Another from Norwalk. Editors Choice from High Performance Pontiac magazine
    & furthest driven from Ames Tri-Power nationals. On the left is Tom DeMauro, editor
    of High Performance Pontiac, me in the center & on the right is Pete Woodruff from
    Ames tri-Power nationals.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  23. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

l drive mine look at my avatar thats for real

24. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Fantastic!!
    I take my '40 Coupe out as much as possible. My buddies can tell the weather by me driving the Coupe. Almost every time I take it out, it rains somewhere on the trip. No problem, it's just water. Can't see to well in it anyway with it's chop. Just rely on the halogen headlights, Bright LED Tailights and the Rap from the pipes.
    I would guess that I put 2500 to 4,000 miles per year on the coupe. It has a good ride, decent mileage, AC-Heat-Def and a good radio- CD player.
    What else do you need or want? I'd drive it to work if we had a security fence in the parking lot. Many employees have had cats cut off, wheels taken, misc. It's in downtown Cinci.

Rap

25. thats my point. there is a guy here in cartersville with 2 high dollar 32 fords, that only come out for car show nite, weather permitting, shows up at 11:00 am to hog prime places, and have his grandson play guard until 4:00 he will not drive eather car over to a cruz in the next town, but he will put them in enclosed trailers and haul them . i still dont get it. it must be an ego thing. i am proud to here you guys drive them.

26. the canton deal is the 3rd sat. each month from april to oct. its pretty big at times. you need to go to coker tires- honest charlies in chatt. sat. it is a big deal. anyone that has not seen the museum and shops that are true gear heads are in for a treat. also walk down the end of the street and eat a t-bones. any one wanting more info can call me at 678-713-6220, i am leaving out sat morn. about 10:00 am. it doesent start until 4:00, but the last one i got there at 1:00 and the place was packed. they close all streets and parking around the stores just for this.

27. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

That is a pretty strong statement for guy who I believe truly really doesn't understand what this forum is all about. As you can easily see with a couple of pages of posts that guys have already created this is not the case here.

Totally agree with Rock on this one!

You are making a real general statement that you should go and make on some goldchainer forum somewhere else on the web. Go and wake them up to there false reality of owning a hot rod and not really understanding the real purpose of a hot rod which is to enjoy them and drive the wheels off of them. I think everyone is awake here and knows what real hot rodding is about.

BTW: Toronto Ontario Canada to California this past summer 8699 miles in this

Attached Files:

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah.... I kind of think this thread is vein bullshit. I've driven an old car just about every day for the past 4 years... and I couldn't care less how much some other guy or my pals drive their own cars.

This is supposed to be fun... It's not a dick measuring contest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.