Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric AC pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 16, 2012.

1. so educate me I want a air system for my 60 olds I want to use a old type under the dash I am using a 355 SBC ( sorry ) is there a formula to what condeser and pump I should use?

2. daddio211

daddio211

That's a good reference Squirrel, thanks for your ALWAYS insightful information!

I like your thinking, I thought about that too.

Hell, I may be able to stick that under the dash! Thanks for that link!

Never been much of a fan of those. They are certainly traditional and period correct, but they look better on someone else's car if ya know what I mean.

Check this thread for some good info. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710024

3. daddio211

daddio211

I understand what BTU's are and how they work, but in relation to a normal car's AC how does "11,900 BTU's of cooling power" relate? Is that similar to a late model car? I can't imagine it would be significantly more and most likely less, but it may be enough to take the edge off the heat!

4. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I looked into it last year. There are companies that have 12 volt DC electric compressors, it is not a cheap alternative. There is a required control circuit board that takes the 12 volt DC and converts it into 3 phase switching AC. The additional electricity required would load an alternator about the same as a mechanical compressor. Then there is the limited parts availability for repairs.
    Not worth it, even with a limited space issue.
    <cite>
    </cite>

5. johnod

johnod

You want the biggest condesor you can fit.
    Compressors are pretty standard.
    See Vintage Air site, lots of info.
    I just did this in my Stude.

6. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

the compressor we used is used in electric car conversions it is made by Masterflux it is a part # sierra02-0434y3 it uses a electronic controller that you must use with it. it runs on 12 to 24 volts and produces 1580 to 5996 BTU/hr and uses 18.42 to 36.08 amps. the major hold back is both parts are expensive. Plus you still need all the same parts you would need to install a ac system minus the compressor. Call me at the shop or ask questions on here and I will get back to you. thanks Scott 916-338-4327

7. daddio211

daddio211

Scott, thanks for posting this. I called you about this a few months ago and took all of the notes to post here, just never took the time to do so. Your knowledge (and sharing of it) is much appreciated!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. Grudge

Grudge

You might look at auxiliary sleeper coolers for on-highway trucks. They are 12V and are designed to maintain ~70F for 10 hours in 110F heat. They have self-contained evaporator, condenser, compressor, etc., but might be expensive in the used truck/salvage world...

Check out something like this: http://us.bergstrominc.com/nite-phoenix/

9. txturbo

txturbo

wonder how hard it would be to run accessories off the flywheel. never thought of that.....machine a small rectangle in the bell housing big enough for a pinion gear to engage the flywheel teeth....then use that to drive the compressor or alternator. The accessory could be mounted uder the car next to the tranny or something.

10. US_Marshall

US_Marshall

t may have been mentioned already, but ford runs a electric A/C compressor on their hybrids. I looked at the price of one 3 years ago and it was $800 for the compressor. My be able to find on off a wrecked car now though.

11. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

A company here in Castlemaine was making them for Truck Sleeper cabins and in fact they are so compact I have seen them in Hot Rods. I think CAE (Castlemaine Automotive Enterprises) now make and sell them.

Found a link for them http://www.caenterprises.com.au/air-condition.html

12. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

Sanden apparently has had an electric driven AC compressor for some time and per this webpage dated 2009 was working on an even smaller, integrated, unit. Sounds like it uses an inverter to step up the voltage.
    http://www.sanden.com/index.php?tag=TSPM4GG46
    I'm interested in cleaning up my engine bay, and am interested in how this might be applied for hidden AC.

13. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

If you think outside of the norm [ eg: eccentric or weird :D ]

Look at the electric motor that drives the power steering on a Toyota MR2
    or some of these electric motors that power hydraulic rams on tilt trailers.

14. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for bringing this back up. It's an idea that I believe needs to be explored further in the hot rod world!

Sent from atop my toilet using the TJJ app for Android.