Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford Frame with HEMI and K Member question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Sep 16, 2012.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you were to put a 354 HEMI in a 1932 Ford chassis with a T10 transmission would the stock K member or a custom made center crossmember be the way to go? I'd like to use the stock K member, just wonder how much cutting would be involved. I don't have a chassis yet, just thinking way a head on things. Bob :)

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

There won't be much of the center of the K left by the time you get the trans fit into it. There have been several threads on this subject on here and quite a few neat ideas on how to solve the problem.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks, I had a K member offered to me by an old friend. If you have followed my Roadster build thread you know I like parts with connections to people I've known most of my life, so emotion may over ride practical thinking on this deal. Bob

4. gsp392

gsp392

I'd love to see some pictures of the build.

5. I think you will be better off locating the drive train and then building a tubular center cross member to locate the transmission mount and provide torsional resistance. The original Ford center cross member is "K" shaped. With the weight and power of the Hemi you need a center cross member that looks like an "X".

Over the years I have acquired a number of parts from friends in trades, at ridiculously low prices, and as out right gifts. I fully intend to use all of them at some point. But not necessarily on my most immediate project.

The 32 Ford K-member is a desirable piece to have if you are building a traditional A-V8. I have the flat head and a very nice 32 clutch and brake pedal assembly put back. At some point the rest of the parts and the time will come along. Until then I'm going to let them collect dust.

You wouldn't like to do a bit of trading would you?

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think the K member idea is out the window now that I think about it, reread a few Bass builds and an X member is the way to go. Bob

7. These pictures might give you an idea of the space required for a Hemi in a 32 frame.
    I used a Ansen bellhousing/scattershield with a Muncie, and a Chrysler mini Hi Torque starter on the drivers side.

Attached Files:

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

I'd be thinking a custom X-member to Help resist some of the torque from the Hemi. Sure it's only a 354 but it's gonna have a bit more twist than the old flattie.
    JMO

9. Andy

Andy

Chassis Engr. Has a very well designed center X member.

10. metlmunchr

metlmunchr