Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My roadster pickup project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

The floor in the RPU looks so good its a shame that you have to prime and paint it.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks Guys. We finally got Don's cage done and I got to spend a little time on my rpu body. The only rusted out spots were the two lower cowl sections where wood was used and held moisture. So with the help of Dan I cut it out and this is what we found.

[​IMG]

No one makes replacement body panels for the Murray body that this rpu was built from so we were on our own to come up with our own. Luckily, Dan had exactly a long enough piece of sheetmetal left over from his Brookville body that we used. When he channelled it he cut the center of the rear section out for clearance and we were able to use that piece.

The only problem was that the bead at the bottom didn't match exactly, it was about 3/8 too wide. To shrink it up we made a simple bench buck out of tubing that was the right width and we reshaped the lower portion to make it narrower. This is the jig we made up.

[​IMG]

Here is the first patch panel roughly installed with clamps. We are going to shorten it and make a filler piece for the very front section that more closely fits the contour of the original.

[​IMG]

While we were at it we filled the holes on either side where the cowl lamps mounted and also the extra one on the drivers side where Dan originally planned to put cowl steering.

[​IMG]

Paul, you asked about the cage we built for Don's car. This picture isn't HAMB friendly, but I'll toss it in since you asked. (I'll blame it on you :p) We have gone as far as we can for now because only the door bars are left and Don is on the fence about whether he wants permanently welded ones or swing out bars. Plus, it will be easier for him to access the interior to do his other work if the bars are added later on. Mod's, if you want this picture removed, I'll be happy to delete it. :)

[​IMG]

Don

3. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Hi don, I have loved your build up here...good stuff....on the door bars , if car is ever on the street, definitely swing out on drivers side, fixed bar for passenger. Hope I didn't cross the OT line!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I suggested that he do the same thing, swing out for driver and welded in for passenger. But he reminded me he might take some cute chick in a mini skirt out on a date and it would be hard for her to get in and out.

Personally, I didn't see that as a problem ! :eek::D

Don

5. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Looking good Don ... I'll except the blame & the flames!!

I'd stay away from the swing outs IMO. The solid tube makes the cage that much more SAFE. It'll also help the resale if ever ... plus who don't like a kewl junglejim??

Paul

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You might be right, Paul. He still hasn't made up his mind though but has some time to do it as he has a lot of interior tinwork to do first. :)

As for my rpu project, for the past few weeks I haven't done a thing to it.......kinda been in one of those periods where I didn't have the enthusiasm, plus it is just so darned hot and humid and that takes some of the fun out of it. But a couple of nights ago I decided I better do something on it, so I picked a fun project, drilling lightening holes in the front axle.

For this car I decided to go with an undropped 34 axle and was lucky enough to score a NOS one a while back. Still had the Ford parts room tag on it. For the holes I wanted 1 inchers, and I looked at the axle under my 27, which I drilled out over 20 years ago , and saw that I had drilled 13 holes in that one. That is what I decided to do on this one too.

After scribing a line down the exact center of the recessed portion I laid out 13 holes on 2 5/8 centers, and first ran a 5/16 pilot hole down through each hole. Next I did a half inch bit, and then a 7/8 bit. That is where I ran into a problem, my 7/8 bit became dull on the 3rd hole and wouldn't cut. I figured I would buy a new bit the next day, so I quit for the night.

I have never had luck sharpening drill bits on a grinder, but I went on line and watched a few videos on YouTube and learned what I had been doing wrong, so last night I tried sharpening the 7/8 bit and was surprised that it came out sharp and I was able to drill the remaining 10 holes. I now have a new skill !!! :D

Finally, I ran a 1 inch bit through each hole, and then lightly touched a 1 1/16 bit to the edge of each hole to take the burrs off. I got the axle reinstalled and am pretty happy with the results. Plus, I saved $25.00 by not having to buy a new drill bit. :)

Don

[​IMG]

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice job Don, Never too old to learn eh :D

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You know, Steve, it is pretty dumb that I have lived all these years and never knew how to properly sharpen a drill bit. :eek: I have a Drill Doctor for bits up to 1/2 inch, but I have a drawer full of ones bigger than that which have gotten dull. I used to just go out and buy a new one when that happened.

This internet thing is really something, you can find out how to do stuff you could never find before. :D

Don

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I agree about the Internet Don, it's an invaluable tool when building cars, there was no way of seeing what others were doing years ago other than magazines and they never showed build pics, we are spoilt these days with the hamb and other sites.
    I guess your now gonna be busy sharpening all those drills, hahaha
    I was lucky as when I was a tool makers apprentice the first thing you was taught was to sharpen tools, it's definitely a skill that not everyone can do, well done for learning.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Hey Don, I have a couple coffee cans of drill bits that need sharpened, can I send them over?
    BTW, the rpu looks great, and you know I have a soft spot for rpu's.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks WB. Send em down ! :D When I bought my Drill Doctor I spent about a week sitting at the workbench every night, sharpening all the drill bits I had tossed into boxes when they got dull. It was kind of theraputic and it sure was nice to be able reach for a drill bit and not have it smoke when I used it. I understand there are really high quality drill bit sharpeners that go for about $1500, but for about $100 the Drill Doctor is actually not bad.

Don

12. Very very kool project with super nice fab work.

Great stuff !

13. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Don - never to late to add to your skill set.

I learned the drill sharpening gig before I did the retirement from GE. If you broke or dulled them you better ask to be shown how to sharpen. Tool romm was not a very friendly place to try to explain shortcomings.

I did, since I left, procured the delux drill doctor & I must say ... it forces you to sharpen correctly. I dig it. Hopefully I will never encounter drill bits bigger that I can "work" in the Dr.!

Paul

14. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good there Don. Great to see you're never tooooo old to learn.:D

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don you just reminded me that I also have a drill doctor, I had forgot Sue bought me one a few years ago for xmas, because I can sharpen by hand I've never tried it, must give it a go soon.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys. Yep, those Drill Doctors aren't too bad. You can sit in a chair at the bench, turn up the stereo, and kill a few hours turning dead bits into ones that work great. I bought the step up one from the basic version and after using it a few times smoke came rolling out of it ! :eek: I called the factory and they very nicely sent me a brand new one, no questions asked.

Maybe it is because I am retired and have less money to waste, but I am starting to fix things rather than just toss them out and buy a new one. We have a couple of Milwaukee angle grinders that are about 8 years old and one of them started to not run unless you tapped it on the bench. I tore it down and found the brushes were worn out, went on line, found the part numbers and ordered them. $6.00 later and $9.00 for a new cord and I had a grinder that runs like new.

I also fixed our washing machine by going on line and putting in the symptoms. $8.00 later I had a new clutch dogs in the aggitator and clean clothes again. :D I'm turning into one of those cheap old retirees who come into a store looking for a 15 cent part to fix something that is broken.:eek:

Don

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

What do ya mean "turning into one" :D:D:D Any cider left :eek:

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oh oh, now you've done it Steve !!

[​IMG]

Don made the mistake of putting your cider in the fridge in the shop and Dan and I acquired a taste for it. :eek: The stuff is actually pretty good. Don't worry, we'll pick up some more Woodchuck before you get here. :D

Don

19. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

20. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Hey Don - Is this a drill dr. thread or a RPU thread??? Get back to it & post some progress pix!

Paul

21. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

looking good, nice fab work.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Paul, I was trying to win Tech Week with my very informative post on how to use a Drill Doctor ! :D With my limited skills that is all I've got . :eek:

Danny, thanks for the compliments.

Ok, I finally have something to update. A while back we started making the mounts that will become my upper shock mount and also my headlight mounts. This weekend we finished up making them and Dan welded them onto the frame for me. Now all we have to do is weld some tabs onto the wishbones for the shocks to mount down there, and that part will be done. The only other tab we have to weld to the passenger side wishbone will be the one for the SoCal steering stabilizer to bolt to.

Here is how the shock/headlight mount ended up after welding it on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's starting to look like a car. :D

[​IMG]

Don

23. Its also looking very cool Don, top job. JW :)

24. [​IMG]

[/QUOTE]

what a face! a real nice build, Don!

25. It just gets sweeter and sweeter. Great work. Later,
    Dick

26. no limits

no limits
    from Louisiana

very nice work.... Great eye for detail...

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like the upper shock mount -headlight mount idea Don, I am going to try something like that with my little RPU by using F1 shock mounts and coming off the top of them for the headight mounts if possible.

My rad shell will be covering the area where yours sit. :)

Larry.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks Everybody, much appreciated. Larry, I have seen some people do exactly what you are planning and it is a good way to do them.

One thing that I am still not 100% sure about are the Deitz lights I am using. I normally use Guide lights that are a little larger and these look smallish to me, but they are in good shape and I would like to use them if possible. I have a few Guides that I can clean up and use if I have to.................. I have lots of time to make that decision.

My original thinking on using the smaller Deitz lights is that I wanted the car to have sort of an oldtime drag car look to it. Decisions, decisions. :D

Don

29. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

There is some very clever engineering going in to this build. I like it. :D