Register now to get rid of these ads!

1965 riviera breaklight

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigBADwolf, Sep 12, 2012.

1. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

Hey everyone, hope all is well. I have just got a nice 65' Riviera I just can't get the breaklight to work, and the turnsignals don't work.I'm not sure there tied together, new bulbs, and all lights work otherwise, just when I step on the break, nothing. Any help means a lot, thanks and be safe out there

2. If you have a wiring diagram it helps, but generally there is a hot wire going to a brake switch. Should be near the pedal on most cars, some use a hydraulic switch. Not sure on your Rivi. Check if hot on one side of that switch, and if the switch closes when you put on brakes so the other side becomes hot. Then chase that wire up into the column, it goes to your turn signal switch. The turn signal switch then puts output to each side brake light bulb(s). Running lights are on a common wire for both sides, but left and right brake lights are separate wires.

Turn signals have a switched hot wire that goes to them through the flasher. You really need a wiring diagram to tell which color coded wire and to understand the circuit.

3. junkman-d

junkman-d

ck blinker switch there both wired trough it. Blinkers and brake lights. most cars are that way.

4. Turn signal switch is a good starting point.

5. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

Right, thank you guys, thanks!!

6. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Signal switch man!!!

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You broke your light on your 65 Riviera?? Sorry to hear that.

8. My '65 had corroded light sockets; check that and make sure you have a good ground. I more recently had a turn signal problem; no new switch was available locally, so my buddy Unclee took it apart, cleaned the contacts, and it's good as new. Be careful, they are nearly fifty years old and aren't meant to be taken apart, he had to wire it back together, but it works a treat now.

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If the "brake" light switch and the "turn signal" flasher get power from fuses, then check the fuses to see if they are blown. Do the front turn signals work? If so, check the back bulb sockets as was pointed out, could be corroded. If all checks out, then the turn signal switch is the place to look. Don't recall what year the 4 way flashers came about, but if you have one of them, you may have a bad 4 way hazard switch.

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

could be low on blinker fluid.

I had to its a "traditional joke"
    2x on the brake light switch

Godspeed
    MrC

11. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

Guys thanks, I'm just an idiot, I'm guessing it's the signal switch, because there is no switch!! I didn't k now these are so hard to come buy, but I'm on the hunt!! Again, thanks for all the help I'll let everyone know when I get it!!

12. SIC98

SIC98

Hey bigBADwolf, glad to hear you got your Rivi, mine did the same thing, no turns and no brake lights, the plastic drum in the column for the turn signal was shattered and shorting the wires, I think the term used was "rare as hens teeth" to find, so I bought one of those chrome truck signal units where everything is built in and it straps to the column, it has a cool looking chrome stalk with like a jet fin on it, looks cool for now and no one knows the differance! Good Luck....Brian