Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flame painting origins & history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mile, Aug 31, 2011.

1. What do you know about Flaming history ?
    The birth, the origins...the pioneers
    Post here your vintage pictures or answers about this Art !...

2. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Mine originated in my garage , with te help of pistriping tape and krylon...

Attached Files:

3. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

As far as I know painting flames goes back to a couple planes in a German WW I squadron. A very simple and stylistic flame. I'm sure they pre date WW I but I havent found any pictures.

4. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

As far as flame pioneers, Von Dutch flamed Barris's ford woody shop car in 1953 by hand, as in using a lettering brush, no spray gun. Of course there is Dean Jeffries, The Baron and Big Daddy Roth to name but a few.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

first to be a Hotrod cover car

6. Famous pictures of Dean jeffries...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Von dutch Flames...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Now we know how old the sperm joke is.
    Yellow thingie is the head sperm heading out, saying "Turn back, it's a blow job!"

8. Check Up in Flames by Tim Phelps.

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I have always heard that this was the inspiration for flames. October 20, 1938 Fred Friday had a ruptured fuel line that sprayed fuel on the hot manifold and burst into flames. Luckily no one was injured, the photo was published on the front page of the london Times.

[​IMG]

10. Interesting...

11. If you've read it, could you talk us what you've learn about this thread ?...:)

12. Ive just been searching "flames", and was hoping to find a thread on flame history.
    I know a lot here dont care for them, but they have been around for a very long time.
    Id like to see examples from the fourties and fifties, if anyone has pics. Thanks fellas.

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Roger Morrison, owner of this 50's racer believes the two brothers that raced the car was ONE of the first with flames. Hard to say who was THE first. Notice the 16" wheel up front, and 15"s in the rear. Its not an illusion, I have seen the car up close to verify it.

Attached Files:

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Kelly Petillo's 1935 Indy winner clearly has flames on it. So does the car he drove there in 1934.

15. Bump for more pics please. :cool:

16. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods