Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spark Plug Boots/Wires to Headers: How Close?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, Sep 11, 2012.

1. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

Lets go argue on a different post at least, the OP's question has been answered like 5 times.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Let's not argue at all.

3. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

x2:d

4. Not at all vintage, it is a fairly new product in the grand scheme of Hot Rodding. It causes thermal friction which eats the metal away from the inside out. Also holds moisture which causes headers to rust. just about every header company I know of voids your warranty when it is used, and that includes when I worked for Hooker and the same now that I work for Patriot and Doug's Headers. You would not believe how destroyed I have seen headers after a fairly short period of time with wrap.

And what happens with a Race Car header, that isn't driven regularly, and not driven in foul weather is a whole different scene than what happens in a street car. And you will NEVER find it on a Pro Level car. I spend a lot of time in the pits talking to racers about headers so I think I know a little bit about this, along with what I do for a living.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That manufacturers warning may be just to cover thier asses a little more. Wrapping probably doesn't hurt them, but that warning would cover the few that slip through. That's just smart thinking. Like saying not to use them for break-ins. It just covers the bases a little more.

And 3/16" is good enough, but we learned that on page one. sigh

6. Yes, I'm afraid it does, and I see it all the time, working for header manufacturers. ;)

7. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

x3