Register now to get rid of these ads!

Transporting 32 body in Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slatts, Sep 7, 2012.

1. slatts

slatts
    from Boston MA

I know this may sound stupid but has anyone ever transported a 32 Brookville body in the back of a pickup? I will be driving about 8 hours after I pick it up. I was going to rent an inclosed UHAUL trailer but if I can avoid that without damaging the body that would be great.

2. birdman42

birdman42

Build a support that will allow you to use the entire width of your bed not just between your wheel wells.Then wrap the body with quilts and strap it in.

3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i used 4 pallets to raise the body above the wheelwells of the pick up....it was a model A though...

4. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

The body will fit in between the wheelwells on a full size pickup like a Dodge Ram or F250.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Haul 32's in the back of my 05 Dodge all the time, in between the wells , sittin on the floor.
    Don't think they fit in a Chevy bed.

6. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Only a pre-65 PU, otherwise it's less than traditional! Yes and just wait for the thumbs up and interested folks on the road!

7. slickbastard

slickbastard

One fit in my 70 chevy shortbed between the wheelwells on the original pallet brookville had it on with no problem except having to leave the tailgate down because it's a shortbed bed.

8. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

Anything more than 48" between the wheel wells should work.

1964 -1972 chevy 1/2 ton truck will rub the doors on a 5 window

1973 - 1986 chevy 1/2 ton truck will rub the doors on a 3 window

1999 - 200? Ford 3/4 ton truck clears on a 5 window

I think 5 window and roadster are close to the same dimension

9. walker

walker

Just let Brookville know and I will pick it up for you on my flatbed trailer, no charge.;)

10. Ask Brookville. You can't be the first guy to pick up one of their bodies in a pickup.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've had all sorts of bodies (car bodies, that is) in the bed of my mid-sized Dakota. You just have to put a few pallets between the wheelwells (sometimes just one because the bodies taper in a bit) as was mentioned.

Also, congrats on the Brookville!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Sounds like a Ford in a Ford fits better then a chevy with a Ford:D

13. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Attached Files:

14. Fogger

Fogger

I moved a '32 3W body in the back of a '75 short wheelbase Chevy van. It hung out the back but didn't hit the wheel wells that were 48" apart. Put it in rear first so the narrow part of the body was close but padded. Didn't have to move it very far though.

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

It will fit but it cannot move or the doors will be damaged on a GM truck. We haul them all the time to the chassis shop. I watched several people load the Brookville bodies in their pickups using the stock pallet from Brookville. Ford and Chevrolet trucks.

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

No problem. I've probably hauled over 2 dozen '32 roadster and 5w bodies in the GM pickups I've owned over the years. Usually put a couple of old blankets or cardboard softeners between the doors and wheel wells to keep the scuffing to a minimum as they will move a smalll amount if you don't tie them down so they can't move.

Frank

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I've got a 2000 Extreme which is a glorified S-10 and there are cutouts on the bedsides for wood slats to fit across the bed.

I bought four 5 foot long 2"x6" boards and laid them across the bed in these cutouts and I've hauled 4 deuce bodies on them...2 pickup cabs...one roadster and one 3w. The slats are above the wheelwells and the bodies ride just fine.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. slatts

slatts
    from Boston MA

Thank you guys! I have a 2012 Silverado and above the wheel wells I have 4'11'' and with the tailgate down I should have 8'.

19. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

Brookville 32 Roadster on its shipping pallet in the back of my 04 Silverado shortbed. No problems at all!

[​IMG]

20. uncle buck

uncle buck

When I hauled my phaeton I set it on some tires and the tailgate still closed with an 8" bed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  21. slatts

slatts
    from Boston MA

That sure is a great sight. Thanks Sgt. Grumpy.

22. Davyj

Davyj

as shown above they fit and look cool too, Chevy, with a skid

Attached Files:

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd stop by Staples and buy a roll of shrink wrap and use it to hold 2-3 shipping blankets tightly attached to the body. Bob

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

2011 Silverado, hauled a 32 sedan body to Nebraska from CA with no problems and have hauled several Brookville 32 roadster bodies in the same truck, same deal.

25. wayne-o

wayne-o

Hauled my Brookville from LA to Kerville Texas in back of a Silverado with the firewall to the front with no problems on their skid. Was going to trailer it the rest of the way home from my friends on my lo-boy trailer and loaded it the same way. Almost lost the deck lid from the wind getting inside the open cowl, one of the pivot bolts had come loose and fallen out and the rope I had tying it down was just holding the deck lid through the latch hole. Real lucky it did not come off. Reversed body on trailer and no problems the rest of the way home.

26. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

In 1966 I was a dumb high school kid, but able to buy a deuce couple body from the preverbial little old lady whose husband had converted it into a chicken coupe.
    (Paid $8 cash for the body!!)
    I was so excited to buy it that I stuffed it in the back of my two wheel trailer and took off. Several miles down the road trailer started swerving and the body ended up sliding down the highway. Luckily I was on a farm to market road, not going too fast, so no damage done.

Did find a way to tie it in with after that....

27. Tattoozzz

Tattoozzz

If it's still on the pallet from Brookville don't be afraid to put up the tailgate and haul ass...

Attached Files: