Register now to get rid of these ads!

BASS & ELROD are my kind of celebrities!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BADGAS

BADGAS
    from AUSTRALIA

Lucky we still have the movie HOTROD

2. Elrod

Elrod

This is actually who Bass bought the Willys from, and the real transaction how it actually happened.

3. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

What are your plans for the Vicky, Elrod? Us HAMB'rs would have loved to see the other 58 minutes of the visit

4. Elrod

Elrod

Currently working on an F100 steering conversion, high compression head is going in and an 80s Ford Overdrive Transmission in the next few months and then we will start taking it on long distance road trips.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. VonKool13

VonKool13

I like all the car shows, cuz it aint chick TV like my girl always want's to watch. It was really cool seeing HAMB related cars on TV. Atleast Fast n' Loud has some cool cars, usually one or two per episode. All the talking,swapping, and selling are pretty much fictional crap, and I don't pay attention to that. I just like seeing a wreck being saved.

6. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

EXACTLY!!! Why rip into a TV show about cars. Some of these women around here . . . . Man, I tell ya.:rolleyes:

7. thebugbox

thebugbox

Amen. I'll take GMG over anything Jersey, Housewives, toddlers, or cardashian.

While I cringe at some things, they always find a buyer, and getting the next generations involved is a good thing.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The reality is that real hot rodders are 1% of the viewing audience. The general public doesn't want to watch an hour of someone grinding on a car.

These threads get closed because some people don't get that. REALITY TV IS FAKE! Damn.

9. Are you saying that "Reality TV" is for people that can't handle reality? :eek:

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

hahaha that too.

11. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

i agree... i dont understand why people get so up in arms about shit,,i dont watch mutch tv(because if im not at work, im working on my project),,so when i do watch TV,, it is cool to see car stuff on TV..with that being said,, alot of the "car shows" are either infomercial crap or thigs i dont like,,,i dont see see why people get there pantys in a bunch over fast and loud,,,Gas Monkey Garage,,they got a bad rep on the HAMB early on ..because,what i think ,was back in the day the HAMB was all building traditional hot rods at home and Richard bought some pile of shit rat rod from a then HAMB member and then(we dont know exactly what was done to it) but it was resold on ebay and claimed he built it,,ever since then, everyone has hated Gas Monkey garage,,there have been a few hamb mebers that have actually worked for him since that time.,..i dont know him,never met him or GAS Monkey,,but just because they are on TV (or any car show for that matter) ,,we are supposed to hate them? yeah,,its TV...so what...if you get that mad at the TV ,that you have to run to the computer to tell everybody about it,,then maybe you should rethink it and focus more of your energy towards actulally building a HOT ROD....

12. burbanite

burbanite

So he paid $25k for the $7k car?

13. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

When I first saw the show I thought that it was horrible with the (surely) made up dealines that put Overhaulin' to shame and Rawlings running around trying to make a profit off of everything. I've always thought that you should build cars because you love it, not to make money off of it. It's nice to see the guys like Aaron that you can tell actually want to build the cars. The show's starting to grow on me now that I know more about the behind the scenes. I understand most of it is for entertainment, but everynow and then a show with no drama/deadlines would be nice too...

14. Elrod

Elrod

15. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I know that stuck in my mind:eek:

16. seatex

seatex

All I can say is they are damn lucky to have found a steel Willys for 7k! Bass will build that thing right and sell it for 70.
    Speaking of shows, has Outlaw Garage had more than one episode? Set the DVR, but have only gotten the first episode......................................

17. The Willys Bass scored on is killer and I know he will build one kick ass hot rod out of it. But you all missed the cool part of the show...I now know how to smash my beer cans.

18. Eric Hale

Eric Hale

The guys on F&L do come across as nice guys, and seem to have a lot of fun together. I like hearing legit Texas accents on television too. Good to see HAMBers on the last show as well.

Crushing that can at the end was pretty funny, gotta admit!

19. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I don't hate Richard. I travel to a LOT of swap meets selling old car parts and my aviation art work. He is a fairly good friend of my closest friend. Richard has a tendency to be rather rude and short with people because he is trying to make all the deals he can in the shortest amount of time and doesn't seem to notice how rude he comes off to those of us he wants to beat down on the price. A good friend of mine that was once a Hollywood actor, said to me that only the rude and immoral can make it in Hollywood. I've never once said anything even remotely nasty to him but I can't get the time of day from the guy-- even when he is standing in my booth.
    Brian Bass on the other hand is pure talent. I HATE TV, but I would watch if he had a show, because I know that I would learn something. Bass has always been willing to talk to me, even though I'm certain he has no idea who I am. That goes a long way with me. They could call the Gas Monkeys in for the drama part on the Bass show.

20. funny...we were at the Decator Swap Meet this past Feb visiting an old vender we've visited since the 70's when Rick and the camera crew showed up and set up for a shoot in front of his spaces....

old Tom was getting pretty upset - as people were staying clear and taking the other road and missing his spot....he said " lucky I don't have my sling shot handy"....we all got a laugh out of that.....

do they call it show boatin still?....or just counting money?

21. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I was there and noticed the same thing.

22. BADGAS

BADGAS
    from AUSTRALIA

Can someone show the Rawlings bloke these threads then maybe he will change his show abit so that everyone is then happy to watch the show.

23. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

It would be a GREAT deal @ 70K.

Not sure what Bass will do BUT it would not surprise me if this awesome Willys from "days gone by" turns into a "keeper"...... OR possibly making it worth a six figure PLUS car at least.... IMHO

I know it would be a "keeper" if it was mine.

I WISH!!!!!

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know it rubs some of us the wrong way that GMG paid only $7K and then sold it to Brian for $25 K, but they ain't makin' all steel Willys anymore. Just like 32 Fords bring good money, so do Willys. Bass is happy with the deal, and will build this car to be just as bitchin' as every other one he does. I can't wait to see his build thread when he gets going on it.

Don

25. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Cool stuff... Tell the truth Bass, How many evenings find you just sitting in it making vroom vroom noises?!?!

26. Wasn't that enough?

27. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

Well i like the car shows,and have met those two in greenville ms. at showfest years ago with the coupe and a chopped fleetline Arron was real cool and richard was funny as hell seemed alright to me ,but when your famous their is allways haters ,thats how you know your doing your job right:D

28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Hell all I learned watching the show is that I've been sayin willys wrong.... how did that happen?

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I like Richard and Aaron and like seeing the cars in the show but can't help making a comparison;
    I can't help think that this must have been what the Barris shop looked like back in the day;

Richard as George Barris; Never actually working on cars, but always cracking the whip about deadlines (Like Coddington on his show). Always wheelin and dealin and doing anything to make a buck. Away from the shop at shows, etc., self promoting, schmoozin with the chicks and having steak dinners with buddies-hell yeah. "I've gotta make some money on this car".

Aaron as Sam Barris; Sharp as hell, good work ethic and skills. Knowing exactly what a car needs and getting it done. Running a crew and the shop.

At 7k or 25k, Richard and Bass both got a deal!

What worries me about this scenario as well as shows such as American Pickers, is that it (falsely) "educates" the general public into thinking "anything old is gold". As Lfeverfred stated; "only about 1% of the viewers are real Hot Rodders" This leaves us all to look forward to Craigslist ads of 48 Dodge coupe rolers being advertised for 20k...ugh. Same as the jackass at a swap meet that wants $500 for a rusty Coke thermometer.

Reality TV has done (or eventually do) to some hobbies what the newspapers and the nightly news did to baseball card collecting, etc. in the 80's. The media jumped on a few stories of individuals pulling a 20k Mickey Mantle rookie from a $5 shoebox at a garage sale. My Brother was a baseball card collector at the time, and suddenly there were no longer any steals/deals to be scored at garage sales, etc. Everone from 8 to 80 was suddenly over-educated.

30. richie rebel

richie rebel

at 7k richard should have kept the willys,they just don't come down the pike that often,being the real deal steel and all,bass got a very fair deal for 25k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.