Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pickled Motor.?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ester Eddie, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks That sounds like a good start to me.I'm not scared of the mess.;)

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Aircraft engines were pickled after overhaul, to prevent corrosion, siezure, etc. The "stuff" usually had some "cosmoline" in it. When first fired up,...it was usually done away from buildings in an open area of the Base. The smoke factor would obliterate every mosquito six counties away..... This was referred to a "burp-run". ( I have no idea, where that term comes from)

4TTRUK

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Got to subscribe.THIS one sounds REAL interesting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wow, you must want that ...car..really bad. Lippy

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would try draining the oil pan and refilling with cheap oil. Spin the engine over with the plugs out in case the cylinders are full of oil. Start it up, let it run for 10 minutes, change the oil and filter for good oil.

6. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I want the car bad enough I guess.I wasn't really into the Torino and cost me 20 bucks a day to drive and with winter coming I drive my Scout II or my diesel Ot car .I don't know ,I'm pretty excited about it . Maybe I'm crazy or just dumb but I can't wait to get it going.Bodies solid too . No holes in floors which is a first for me .:)

7. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Trading titles today to seal the deal .Can't wait!

8. royalbopper

royalbopper
    from Sweden

Subscribed ! This will be an intresting tread, i´m glad i´m not the only one that buys cars when everybody says don´t.

Sigge!

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This doesn't seem that complicated. Pickling is a method of preserving vegetables (usually cucumbers), thus it seems that the simplest explanation is that a pickled motor is one that has been preserved somehow - probably not in brine.

10. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Yeah lol I'm following my gut on this one ... I hope I don't end up with a bunch of Told yah so's ..When I get it home I'll take more pics and look her over again .

11. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Big cheese .I asked here because I was wondering and hoping this was common, But don't sound like it is.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical about the question itself, but expressing surprise about the variety of answers.

The only stupid question is the one unasked.

13. I have a friend from Vermont and does this to any old car he owns and set for any long amount of time. My 52 motor was treated like this in 1978 when it was rolled in the cop car. in 2004 we pulled it out of the black berrys and new plugs and gas it started up right away but smoked for a few hours but still runs like a top.

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

I think the process is fairly common when storing an engine, just not the terminology. I do it when storing and I like the term, so I guess I'll be using that now.:]'

15. Gromit

Gromit

Reminds me of a story I read about the BMC Works department (Austin/Morris etc) prepping a race car. They had finished the engine work and the mechanic asked the aprentice to fill the engine with oiil before start up. Yup you can guess what happened. right up to the oil cap.

I'm scared of any car that "just needs a carb or just needs a starter" what's a Chrysler flathead starter worth these days?

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be sure to pull the plugs before even attempting to turn the engine over. One cylinder with a half cup of oil in it could hydraulic the engine and bend a rod or worse.

17. Downtime

Downtime

Whenever we recover a motor from a recently sunk boat we always "pickle it". Basically fill the pistons/ rest of the motor full of oil and let it sit until you are ready to retrieve the rest of the boat and or parts.

As long as it hasn't been submerged for too long, or out in the air for too long, you can usually get it back up and running again an a decent amount of time. And you should see the amouht of oil a 3208 takes to fill up completely...

18. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

I've seen boat engines "pickled." Fill full of diesel to float off any residual water that may be in them. Drain and you should be back to zero.

19. I did it myself in about 1987 with an extremely ot '86 Suzuki GSXR1100 which I bought new and had to store for three or four years while working in the goldfeilds of Western Australia. Best thing I could have done for it....full to the brim with oil.......sure was a bit messy when I finally got to reassemble it back in NZ but no problems with the power plant once it was drained and brought back to life.

20. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I just got back from there. I removed the spark plugs and it was clean as a whistle in there.I saw no rust in there just shiny top of pistons!The title I got from him is from 1964 too.man I'm stoked !

21. kool them ol flatheads were great

22. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

23. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks again guys for the advice and thoughts on this.

24. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

My dad told me that in the early 50s my great grandfather pickled the engine in his model T sedan with kerosene. My uncle has the car now and it still hasn't been drained.

25. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I wonder why the never drained it and if it has evaporated yet:eek:

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I found this in the trunk .

[​IMG]

27. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

If he was going to lie he would have said "3" years ago not "13" so I buy that. Also who gives a damn about a Torino!? lol go with your gut...

28. PackardWood

PackardWood
    from JoCo, NC

....beware of the dreaded stuck valve......PITA!

29. I used 4 big jugs of marvel mystery oil in the 1960 rambler 327 v8 that has sat since the early 70's. Engine was stuck, couldnt turn by hand. After sitting a week pickling, it turned over very easy by hand.

30. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I have a ot 68 Cadillac I may have to try this with.