Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Some work news...

Got the 31 Limo running and outdoors for some photos.
    The hood was being test fitted and hadn't been polished yet.

DSC06339.JPG

DSC06338.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. Did a little work on the Nomad on Friday (my day off). The owner decided he wanted to drive it to Hot August Nights. Thursday night the body work was finished, Friday was a little mechanical stuff then it got shoved in the paint booth Friday night for primer. It's getting painted today and reassembled for the owner to pick up on Monday night.

DSC06234.JPG

3. Gotta show this car too. Kinda' street roddy but very cool.
    The owner is the person doing the upholstery work on the 31's.

1939 Caddy that the owner did all of the work on. 1970's 425 V8 engine.
    Leather interior with real wood trim. A/C, tilt and power everything.

The sidemounts carry a spare tire one side and is a toolbox on the other.

DSC06374.JPG

DSC06369.JPG

DSC06380.JPG

4. Tha_PiG

Tha_PiG
    from Georgia

Good stuff.

Just finished reading this whole thread :)

5. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Did you tell him how much "Money He Could Have Saved" by using a rattle can? :p :D Thanks for sharing.

6. Last edited: May 24, 2014
  7. BTW, still haven't been getting things done on my projects. This weekend I'm doing a window installation remodel in my living room. Taking out the old aluminum frame fixed panel and installing a much larger PVC double pane that opens.

8. Hey Mark
    Still enjoying your thread. I look forward to what cars are posted. Great diversity !
    I rang a High School friend on his birthday on Sunday. He pointed me at a thread on his workshop. So let me introduce Stuart Metal Whisperer Smith & his metal Magic.
    http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49434
    He is the most accomplished tradesman i know.;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  9. ^^^^^Yowza; impressive metal magic bringing back that '36 Ute!

10. Very inpressive work.

Here's another one that was done at my work. Mercedes 280
    Not HAMB friendly except it's '63 Corvette mechanical fuel injection.

DSC06497.JPG DSC06496.JPG

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

:eek: How cool is that! I love it!

12. Here's the other side of the engine. Such a clean installation.

DSC06499.JPG

13. Couple photos from last week, my boss was getting his T-Bird Sports Roadster (390 tri-power with A/C) ready for the local cruise-in.

Pretty rare car.
    455 Sport Roadsters produced in '63:
    411 were 390 cid 4-barrel
    37 were Tri-Power (even less with A/C)

$5563 new.

DSC06427.JPG DSC06429.JPG

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love the Mercedes! Looks like alot of cool metalwork too.

16. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

Nothing is too rare to drive! My daily driver is a 49 Packard. If we all drove our favorite toy every day we would see something cool a bit more often. Rattle can rebuild or perfectly restored, I love seeing anything old on the road.
    This thread was a welcomed treat. Can't wait to see how the canned hamb looks settin the trees behind the 48 F1. From where I set it looks like you deserve a day or two away in your new love nest. Any updates? Puttin a trailer hitch on the AMG so your wife can pull it? Fixing up a 40's Chevy to get it around? B-i-l bankrupt for 'managing assets' yet?

17. I did say maybe. I have a friend that has a '17 Dodge coupe, with less than 10,000miles on the clock. He still drives it. (occasionally)

18. My boss has quite a few very rare cars. He drives them all.

Here he is in his '41 Chevy Cabriolet doing what should be done with it.

1941 Chevy Cabriolet.jpg

19. I've just been busy on my daily drivers trying to keep them running and get to work. My newer Blazer started a deadly misfire thing. Had it diagnosed as "primary ignition circut". Spent most of one day installing new, good quality plugs, wires, rotor and cap to the tune of $128. It's till misfiring. I'm gonna try and get the cam sensor changed tomorrow.

Since that Blazer is tits-up, I pulled my older Blazer out of moth balls. It's a good little car and gets close to 30mpg with the 2.5 four banger and a 5 speed.

Ferrari-blue blazer small.JPG

Noticed a couple drips of anti-freeze under it last Tuesday and every day since. One of the bolts holding the radiator shroud halves together came out. The remaining metal clip wiggled around and wore a tiny hole in the plastic radiator tank. I'm headed out to the wrecking yard to pull a radiator in a few minutes.

As far as the B-I-L, he's still headed downhill. Had to move into a rental house almost as crappy as the middle class slum neighborhood I live in. Selling his new Suburban to buy an economy car. Looks like his beach house is in foreclosure.

Still up to his tricks though. He has a large Golden Lab dog that has Cancer and not long to live. He asked mom to take care of it at my house "while he moves". In the meantime, one of his teenage kids tells me his new rental house only allows dogs under 20 lbs and they had to do something with the Lab.

When mom asked me about caring for the dog I said no, because the BIL wouldn't ever pick the dog up. BIL calls mom to find out about dog storage and yells at her because my answer was no. What an ass.

On a good note I cashed in some overtime pay and bought myself a new tool box. I needed something at work too so took my old Craftsman roll away there and put the new one at home. It's only Harbor Freight stuff. I can't afford Snap-On or Mac.

Got the top, bottom and side box that are shaded in the photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, all the tools are on the work bench waiting to get cleaned up and put in the new box. It's kinda like getting a new paint job on a car and then installing crappy chrome.... I just couldn't put all the dirty old tools in the new box.

I did score a nice 1966 Borg Warner T10 four speed last week for helping the body shop owner push a few cars around after they were towed from one shop to another. I do have a Hurst bench seat shifter in my parts stash.

Kinda been looking for a '62-'67 Chevy Nova station wagon to replace the newer Blazer for a daily driver. I'm so tired of electronic crap. I could rebuild the Nova on the side of the road with some wire, tape and a pair of pliers

20. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

i like how you talk about the blazers but the pic shows a sweet Ferrari.

21. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

The HF box will surprise you, on how well the tool drawer's when full, will pull and push and not bind. Man I hope saying this,does not open up a tool box pi--ing contest! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  22. AustinThunderbird

AustinThunderbird
    from Austin, TX

just wow.. that's all I can say. Brand new here with my 61 tbird and this thread has inspired me to start all kinds of projects. Had an old Harley for years but was a little intimidated by a full size car, but I can tell you I'm digging in this weekend!

23. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

You have had several of us hooked on your thread from day one. There is a fine line between reality and sanity. Restoring a car with a rattle can or dealing with life.... I like your thread.

bengeltiger likes this.
  24. Thanks Tantank.... It's been fun for me too...

OK, I actually did some gearhead stuff at my house.
    Got the new tool box squared away last weekend.
    Got the distributor torn apart in the newer Blazer.
    Waiting on a cam sensor to arrive.
    Was going to rebuild the carb for the F1 but misplaced it.

Now comes the really dumb stuff:

Picked up a free canopy to rebuild and use on the F1. I'd been looking for an old one since I got the truck. Really wanted an old galvanized Gem Top style that has the arched roof. Never found one but found this. About a 1969 vintage.

canopy 1.JPG

I need my head examined. The canopy is 18" too wide, 21" too long and 6" not tall enough. I'm gonna dismantle it and use the windows, siding and as many parts as possible to build another one but make an archtop, like the old style from the 50's.

canopy 2.JPG

Has some very cool, gold anodized panels on the sides.

canopy 3.JPG

25. Those gold pannels are neet. Im also Digging the archtop plan

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love the archtop canopies go for it I know it will look great!

27. Here's the general shape I'll be shooting for.

[​IMG]

28. Wanted to find something like this but cab-high.

[​IMG]

29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Lowkat, A simple canvas cover would look the part on your F1.