Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Ford Crestliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Sep 9, 2012.

1. bab59

bab59

Just picked up a 1951 Ford Crestliner.
    How in the heck does a fella go about getting the hood open the release cable is gone NOTHING LEFT the latch under the grill is loose but cannot get the latch bolt udone. Tried just prying it didnt work have to do the edge work on the hood now.
    Check out the SOLID Trunk
    Whats a guy to do for front subframes. What works best?

HELP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  2. thesupersized

thesupersized

on my shoebox i could reach my hand in there thru the grill and unlatch it...it's not the easiest, but can be done. My grill shell and grill isn't stock anymore so maybe that makes it easier?

3. bab59

bab59

The release or the latch? I cannot get the latch to let go. The release is causing no problems

By the way the car does not have a crestliner steering wheel was the wheel a package option or just a extra option?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  4. I've had to do this twice. The first time I spent a lot of time trying to get around the front panel to the cable mount witch is the only way to get the hood latch pin released. I finally ended up with the grill out before getting the job done. The second time I just went ahead and removed the Grill first, reached in and tripped the latch. I don't think there is another way to get it done. So the second time around I added a second short cable to the latch and fastened it under the front panel for a back up system. By the way. I bought a Dennis Carpenter new replacement cable that just broke off about 4" in from the latch causing the second issue.
    The Wizzard

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

No need for a sub frame in my opinion. Lower it and drive it. My 49 drives fine.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

blocks and aerostar coils work best. no need to slice up a frame and do a lot of work converting stuff that works.

7. bab59

bab59

This old stocker may be hard to chop anything.
    It's a chore to get all the rat droppings out.
    Any other suggestions on the hood?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  8. Find another 49-51 Ford you can get the hood up on and take a look from the top down. Then you will understand.
    The Wizzard

9. bab59

bab59

There is none around this area have any pictures?

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Get the Green Bible, 49-51 Ford Shop Manual...

11. bab59

bab59

Want to buy 51 ford hood previous owner had latch jammed too tight

12. 62rebel

62rebel

removing the jam nut from behind the pull handle should have given you enough free movement to operate the cable as if it were one piece. all shoeboxes used the same basic design for this. the hood release cable is only clamped down above the battery tray and right at the latch.
    what have you done that you need another hood?

13. EBW

EBW

Love the trim on that Crestliner !! Cool visor also !!
    What are your plans ?

14. bab59

bab59

Hood had damage from previous owner on the left rear and up front where someone kinked it prying on it.
    Hood is open I need a new one end of story.

It does have great trim and solid car. Have any information on the Visor?

Being that the car is so complete and solid and Crestliner model. My plans are up in the air.

My plans for several years for a two door sedan were
    Low-Shaved-Chopped top-Fast

Is the car too complete and "rare" to chop and lower?

15. Quote; " Is the car too complete and "rare" to chop and lower? " Hell No!! It's just an Old Ford. Build it the way you want it. Be glad you don't have a lot of repairs to do. Speaking of,, if you can chop, shave and lower, why can't you repair the Hood you have? When you find out how scarce a cherry 51 hood is and how much $$$ they bring you might decide the one you have isn't so bad. The last nice 51 hood I had sold for $500.oo and there were 11 bidders on it at closing.
    The Wizzard

16. bab59

bab59

I can shave and lower the chop deal is going to be new venture.
    I will save the hood if I cannot find one for under $150

17. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

Hand some guys a diamond, and they'll figure out how to make a piece of coal out of it. :rolleyes:

18. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Dont know anything about the hood. but i'd stay away from subframes, they just arent necessary.. people got around fine on the stock front ends for decades.

As for the custom things, i would lower it slightly, remove the visor, shave the handles, v8 and crestliner emblems, take off the window shades, and the front fender rock guards... thats just my opinion, but it looks very cluttered right now.

Would be cool to make a tasteful mild custom but keep the cool crestliner side trim so it keeps it's identity, but still looks better. If that makes sense.

:)

19. bab59

bab59

Makes since I like it

Agreed!

20. For your last question about sub frames your going to get a lot of different ideas. My choice was a 1970 Nova clip. After seeing a S-10 unit on a 50 Ford my choice is still the Nova. They are not as plentyful as they used to be. What are you going to use for power?
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

21. Here are a few shots of my Piece of Coal.

Attached Files:

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

wikipedia says there werent many Crestliners made and very few survive.
    I will lower mine, disc brakes and probably a modern engine but the appearance will be stock.
    [/url]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  23. rw4951

rw4951

The 1950 Mercury Monterey and the 1950 Ford Crestliner came equipped with the accessory wheels in Black with a special colored button. The 1951 Montereys just had the stock wheel; my guess would be the 1951 Crestliners came with the stock wheel as well...

24. bab59

bab59

Makes since
    What's the word on the visor? Ford accessory? It fits very well, as far as looks may be a little long in the tooth for me

25. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

I used an s 10 on mine with no problems. the reason being I had one with new brake roters and all new bushings and shocks.

26. What did you half to do to the core support to clear the steering box? Were you able to run a stock type 51 Rad?
    The Wizzard

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

bab59: Congratulations on such a nice find. Can you tell if your Crestliner originally had an OEM vinyl roof? All of them had a vinyl roof. Also, can you sand thru the primer and find out it's original colors? The model # for the 1951 Crestliner is 1A-70C. Only 8703 were produced. I hope you were able to get the original steel rims. Here is an interesting site about your Crestliner. Have fun with your new car.
    http://classiccardatabase.com/specs.php?series=4865&year=1951&model=26284

28. bab59

bab59

Hawaiian bronze metallic and brown is the OEM color and there is no primer just worn paint.
    This one has 15 inch rims and the stock 15" crest liner caps
    Unsure about the vinyl top

29. Plenty of repro and aftermarket stuff for these cars, no need to cut the frame up. If I wanted a full on custom I'd sell the Crestliner to a restorer and start with a plain tudor sedan instead, but to each their own.

30. bab59

bab59

Alright no subframe on this one
    By the end of the weekend should know what shape the flathead is in.
    Ordered front aerostar coils today.
    This hantavirus has me intimidated.