Register now to get rid of these ads!

Not here now but not forgotton

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roseville carl, Sep 10, 2012.

1. The moderators can remove this if they see fit to but I wish to say this:

This is National Suicide prevention week Sept 9th-15th. We lost our son 87 weeks ago this wednesday and there is not a day that goes by that we do not think of him. I wish all fathers to enjoy every minute you have with your sons or daughters and do not take anything for granted with them. Keep an open line of communication with them and let them know how much they mean to you. The feelings we have had for these last weeks I would not wish on my worst enemy. I know that life will go on and so will we but if I can do anything to make one person do one thing to stop this from happening to another, than my life will be better. Spend all the time you can with your loved ones.

We miss and love ya Mike
    [​IMG]

2. Suicide kills more than the individual and is one of the most preventable things in the world, but some how we don't expect it and therefore aren't aware of the symptoms. Sorry for your loss and may he RIP.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

5. I don't know how you keep someone from taking the short cut once they have made up their mind.

It is truly a sad thing for someone to go too early and even worse when it touches home. Sorry that you have had to live through this, it is not the answer.

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

sorry for your lose,I work with kids & man we have some really damaged children in this world ( I was one when i was younger) I fight my demons every damn day, here some sbbering numbers::

Teen Suicide Awareness: Statistics 2011.

How real is the problem of youth suicide? Here are the numbers:
    • EVERY YEAR there are approximately 10 youth suicides for every 100,000 youth.
    • EVERY DAY there are approximately 11 youth suicides.
    • EVERY 2 HOURS AND 11 MINUTES a person under the age of 25 completes suicide
    How pervasive is the problem of youth suicide? Here's a brief review of what national data tell us:
    • Suicide is the third leading cause of death for teens.
    • Suicide is second leading cause of death in colleges.
    • For every suicide completion, there are between 50 and 200 attempts.
    • CDC Youth Risk Survey: 8.5% of students in grades 9-12 reported a suicide attempt in the past year.
    • 25% of high-school students report suicide ideation.
    • The suicide attempt rate is increasing for youths ages 10-14.
    • Suicide had the same risk and protective factors as other problem behaviors, such as drugs, violence, and risky sexual activities.
    • While a single suicide is a tragedy, it is estimated that for every adolescent who completes suicide, there are between 50 and 200 suicide attempts.
    • A recent survey of high-school students found that almost 1 in 5 had seriously considered suicide; more than 1 in 6 had made plans to attempt suicide; and more than 1 in 12 had made a suicide attempt

Read more on TeacherVision: http://www.teachervision.fen.com/education-and-social-issues/mental-health/57131.html#ixzz265mOKUOS

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/index.shtml

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

8. Sorry for your loss Carl. I think this is a REALLY good message especially on a fairly male dominated board as sometimes I think we (males) take the attitude that people just need to suck it up and deal with things and the message needs to get out that not everyone has the ability or resources to do so. Especially young people.

9. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

My father-in-law commited suicide July 5th. 1994, we know what it feels like to go through this, and it does get a little easier but the pain and questions will never go away. My wife and I talk about it a lot.....it is tough. Carl, may you cherrish the memories you have and may time ease your pain. Our sincere condolences to you and your family.

10. I am so sorry for your loss.

Communication is key with kids, now more than ever.
    I have a 15 yr old daughter, and I know that at that age,
    parents have to let go to some degree and let them be their own person,
    as a result keeping the lines of communication open takes
    more work as they get older. But it's so important.

11. Thanx for the thoughts guys, he does ride with me in every pass of the flat fed, his old work t-shirt is stuffed in the side rails with me, course NHRA probably has some rule against this , but what the hell........

12. I just bought a car from the widow of a friend who killed himself, six weeks ago. Just hope the money helps her out a bit, as she´s an absolute wreck right now.

I see depression as another potentially deadly illness. How it kills you makes little difference, but it´s vital to get help.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  13. JimSwann

JimSwann

I dont know how to respond to this adequately, other than to thank you guys for sharing. Its a tough topic and one that needs to be addressed. Ill just bump it and hope more people read this.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Carl, I can't even begin to imagine your pain.:( If something happened to one of my Son's I don't think I could go on. But please don't blame yourselves in any way. Every person on this earth makes their own decisions for their own reasons, and your Son felt this was the right one for him at that moment.

I wish your entire family well, and hope you have all sought some councelling to help you understand and deal with this terrible loss.

Don

15. James D .... I know its a mess right now but if they have any type of group of friends of suicide family's it will really help her to understand that she is not alone and the pain she feels is not hers alone. We have a group here that meets once a month and it has really helped us and our family. One does not realise how prevelent suicide is, as most want to shun away from anything to do with it. Some of your "friends" might even think it is a desease that you might give them, and abandon you, but its not!! Help your friend by being there for her.................... Carl

thankx for the thoughts Don and Jim

16. Sadly I have a list of close people we have lost this way ...
    awareness is a good thing if it keeps someone strong and alive.

17. I´ll do what I can to help her, of course.

18. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Carl

I don't know you BUT I'm very sorry for your loss.

R.I.P.

and prayers to ya !

I can't even imagine how terrible that would be...

I have NO WORDS big enough to said how
    much my heart goes out to you and your wife...

God Bless you Man....

19. dad-bud

dad-bud

Carl, I'm really sorry for your loss.
    We lost our beautiful 16 year old son in March last year by his own hand and I cannot begin to describe the horror.
    I still don't sleep very much some nights thinking about him.
    No drugs, no depression, no signs at all - we could not possibly have had a more loving family, and still he decided he must leave us.
    I feel I am a failure as a dad because I didn't see it and wasn't there to stop him.
    He left my wife and I with our other son and we are all broken hearted.
    I know this isn't helping you, and it's probably not helping me much sitting here blubbering at my computer, but thank you for having the courage to share your grief.
    I wish you and the rest of your family the very best, and like you, I often speak to him.

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Sorry for your loss Carl.

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

BTT for all those that have been touched!