Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roll on primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Sep 8, 2012.

1. papajohn

papajohn

Anyone try it? I was watching an o/t show this morning (trucks) and they were using "all u need" urethane primer saying you could brush or roll it on and you didnt need a respirator. Seems like you would get more on the car and not lose any to atomization so thats a plus. You're going to sand it smoothe anyways. Crazy?

2. punisher7

punisher7

Sounds like a lot of sanding to me

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Do a search, been discussed a few times.

4. papajohn

papajohn

I've seen the posts about rolled and brushed paint jobs, but I was thinking strictly about urethane primer. (but, no, I didn't actually search it, sorry if I'm re-posting a topic)

5. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Been doing it for years. Helps to get quick build without such a mess. I use it with my polyester a lot. Just don't let polyester sit too long before blocking it, it's like sanding concrete.

6. I wouldnt know if you use primer with roll on,,,,, I use Speed Stick :D

7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

It's all about the "application" method. You can Spray, Roll, Brush, Squeege, (yes even
    Squeege) primer. Which ever "application" method works for you and your available applicator ! ! ! You do need to keep in mind that the film build has to be controlled for
    proper curing to take place. There is nothing wrong with applying Urethane Primer with a roller. They even make a pan and roller (approx.8") just for Urethane Primers.

Happy Rolling ( No, not Happy Smoke ).

VR&C.

8. 1937chevyman

1937chevyman

get lots of sandpaper

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I bought the 48 it was dark green but had a brushed on primer job under the green that you could see the brush marks through the green on. I don't know what kind of primer it was but it was some tough sanding stuff.

A lot of boats including some real expensive ones are repainted by hand with a roller followed by a brush called Rolling and tipping. It pretty well takes two people who know what they are doing to get it right but you can get some great results.
    Here is the link to one article
    http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/rolling-tipping.asp

This link has some short videos that show technique.
    http://www.sailingmates.com/paint fiberglass sailboats.htm

10. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

At $250 gallon Wow for primer

11. With the new national law regarding applying coatings "on the floor" many shops have gone to rolling primer on. PPG has been showing it for at least 10 years. It allows shops a "out" because it's not atomized they can get away with it. If done right, with the right rollers ( not home depot stuff ) it will work and build. You sand primer prior to sealer or base anyway, you may just sand a little more now.

12. jmpowie

jmpowie

I used a brush to prime my 29. I used epoxy to keep the car from flash rusting. It was easier to paint a door with a brush than mixing a batch of paint and clean the gun to do a door or cowl. Now that the car is ready for paint I will spray a sandable primer and block sand the car.

13. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

Yeah done it a few times, great for small areas when you dont want to mask up the car and cover everything else around you. Like the others said, leave plenty of times between coats and allow it to flash off like when you spray it