Register now to get rid of these ads!

Torque Wrenches : Best to Worst recommended

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammed, Sep 8, 2012.

1. slammed

slammed

Just the facts. A broad feed-back of Torque wrenches in both quality and affordability. All sizes. I am especially looking at a 1/2" bar for lugs nuts. Snapped 3 this year-done.

2. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I have a Craftsman 1/2 inch drive, it has provided accurate service for many years. I have a MasterCraft (Canadian) and it also seems to be a stout piece. I can only compare torque ratings from one to another but they both seem pretty accurate.

I think in this day and age you need to spend some significant dollars to get quality tools. Not saying mine are but if I had the money I would buy the best I could. You probably would only have to purchase them once. Just my opinion.

3. Deuces

Deuces

I have 3 from Snap-On.... :)
    All "click" type.... Good for this lifetime and the next...

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The old beam style as long as the pointer goes to 0 with no load are idiot proof,nothing to get out of wack. I have a pretty cheap import I've had for 25 years and it has always worked fine. Torque a fastner and then try with the beam and it will show the same.

5. been using snapon for years now. never broken it yet :D

6. dutch rudder

dutch rudder
    from houston

i have mac 3/8 and 1/4 click styles. they don't need batteries :p
    i have a screw driver style torque gauge that only measures up to 1nm.
    also, a beam style torque wrench that measures up to 3.8 nm.

I have the tech wrenches from snapon in 3/8 and 1/2.
    does inch/lb, foot /lb, newton meters and torque to yield. in my line of service, its invaluable to be able to measure torque to yield without a manual torque angle gauge.

i use the snapons' daily.

while i haven't used them, http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-torque-wrenches seems to have a selection that is budget minded.

in my world though, an accurate torque wrench justifies spending 500 bucks on a 1/2" one. i work on cars for a living though, vs a garage soldier.

7. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I bought a Torque Wrench at Lowe's of all places. Good sturdy 1/2" drive Clicker.

Works well and was less than a Ben Franklin. Works Well. Unfortunately, not made in

the U.S.A.

Kobalt 1/2" Drive Torque Wrench

$94.97

<form action="OrderItemAdd" id="item_3381202">

Kobalt 1/2" Drive Torque Wrench
    </form>

• Item #: 337334
    • Model #: 85602

VR&C.

8. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

We calibrate hundreds of torque wrenches at our place.

Best accuracy is the dial type. Probably Snap-On. 2% accuracy on most, 1% on some. Most expensive and if you over torque it, it's no longer accurate.

"Click" type are good, more robust, easy to use with a ratchet and a bit cheaper. Accuracy is usually 4% clockwise and 6% counterclockwise. Just turn it down to a low setting when it's sitting in your tool box.

Beam type are the best bang for the buck though. Depending on the brand, 2% accuracy. Cheapest and dependable as a rock. A little less convenient to use because you have to look at the pointer. I always recommend these to a backyard mechanic, you can't go wrong.

What ever you decide, buy a good brand, have it checked regularly.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

I keep a beam one for turning torque as in checking the need for alinebore.

10. johnod

johnod

I've got a Craftsman I've had since the 70s, still works fine.
    Got a Mac and a Snapon too, all nice, all click types.

11. Deuces

Deuces

I also have a 3/8's drive Craftsman that I bought in the '70's... Still works like a charm..:)

12. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Don't ever use it as a breaker bar. JC

13. 23reotim

23reotim
    from arizona

i have an old craftsman beam that is my most accurate. i also have a craftsman clicker that is ok but had to replace it once. does not seem to be accurate for smaller torque readings. i just opened the box today of a brand new craftsman inch lb clicker and the damn thing was leaking oil every where. of course they wont warrenty torque wrenches. at least thats what they told me

14. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Have a 3/8 drive craftsman beam for inch pound and foot pound and a craftsman 1/2 click type. hopefully they are accurate...

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I bought these used about 35 years ago. Still my #1 choice. But I wont take issue with what John Evans said about the needle and beam style. As far as click types, I wont have one in my shop, wouldnt take one if it was free. But hell, what do I know, I'm a "muscle car guy"...:rolleyes::D
    [​IMG]

Oh, and he asked price. NOT cheap. $$ per accuracy, buy a needle and beam. Accuracy period? See above pic.

16. Cerberus

Cerberus

I have a 30 year old craftsman tq wrench that is unbreakable. Built over twenty cars with it.

17. slammed

slammed

Thank-you for the replies thus far gentleman. You too, Georgie.

18. falcongeorge those things are just damn cool looking! never seen one like them.

as far as my torque wrench goes i have a warren and brown (aussie made) one which i've had for the better part of ten years and use every day (i'm a motor mechanic) and have never had any trouble with and it's kept its accuracy. theres also an identical one which is owned by the workshop which would be easily 20 years old and gets used even more and is still just as good.

19. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I bought a cheapo from HF. it has done its job this far. and for the price, I can replace it 4 times before i break even on an expensive one. it has registered true and ive been using it for a few years now with no problems. maybe I just got lucky though because i have heard others say that they are no good.

willbe likes this.
  20. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

whatever you decide to get, just to let you know, our snap-on guy in our area has a torque wrench "dyno" so to speak on his truck. yours may also. i check mine periodically on there. it's an old snap on that i bought used from him. i dont see why they wouldnt let you check whatever you get on there. i've had pretty good luck with mine so far. personally i think if it's something youre going to use a bunch, you may want to go with one of the big names (snap-on, matco, cornwell and such), if youre building an engine every now and then or rotating your tires twice a year, then i think a craftsman or cobalt from lowes would be fine.

21. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Prior to retirement, I worked in a calibration lab. We cal'd lots of torque wrenches. Found that Proto makes a high quality click style wrench that usually met our calibration criteria without adjustment. 4% clockwise, 6% counter clockwise. Next in line would be Snap-On. Interestingly, it seemed that the older wrenches were of better quality than the newer ones we entered into our calibration program.
    And for the record, I wouldn't waste my money on a Craftsman torque wrench. I bought a few some years ago, and I've regretted it since. Junk!

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I should probably elaborate on the reason why I really dislike click type torque wrenches, and it goes much deeper than a 2% difference in accuracy. The big problem with them is more about human nature. Because you cant see a needle creeping up on the number you are after, and you are trying to get it to click, guys(myself included) have a tendency to "jerk" slightly on the wrench as they approach finished torque, and then the accuracy REALLY goes for a shit. I have had guys tell me they dont do this, and I will watch them, EVERYBODY I have ever done this with gives the wrench a little yank when they are getting close. With either of the other two types, you have a needle you can watch, and if you give the wrench a yank, you see it right away. It's like a tell-tale on a tach, it keeps you honest.
    If you arent giving a nice, smooth, even, controlled pull, it doesnt matter HOW accurate the wrench you are using is.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2, NEVER. Should be obvious, but I have a buddy that used to do it all the time. Its a precision tool, treat it like one. You notice I still have the boxes for mine, and they are probably damn near as old as I am.

24. Cerberus

Cerberus

There are five posts prior to yours that have positive remarks about the older Craftsman torque wrenches. I think it's time to roll up my pant legs for the duration.

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only thing for certain these days is if you replace a 25 year old torque wrench (or anything for that matter) with a new one it will last less than 5 years and cost twice as much.

Hilo hotrodder likes this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, and your welcome...:p

27. I have 3 torque wrenches. All are beam type, one I've had for 45 years. I've never had a failure due to inaccurate torque. I'd buy a clicker, but why???

28. My 1/2" lb/ft and my 3/8" lb/in are Snap-On and my 3/8" lb/ft is a Mac. The 1/2" Craftsman are a decent torque wrench, but the plastic locking collars tend to break if you use them a lot. They're great for someone that only needs a torque wrench once in a while. I use mine constantly, so I spent the extra money.

29. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

i have 5, a 1/4 inch drive for doing transmission valve body work, a 3/8 for general stuff, a 1/2 for general stuff [snap -on]

then i have a 3/8 with angle meter and a 1/2 with angle meter, both of these have led's and an 'alarm' to let you know you are close to your desired angle, handy as hell on torque to yeild stuff, those two are mac brand.

small fortune spent on those, but i use them alot.

30. All of you that say you have had yous for all these years and they still work fine, how do you know they are still in tolerance, Don't care if it is a pointer or click they need to be calibrated every year or two. You might be surprised if you had it checked as to how far out it could be. I use mine a lot and the company I work for has are checked every year and you will not believe how many come back that are now not useable.