Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nor Cal ROADSTER RUN - My EDITORIAL Piece and Pics Kudos to RED BEARD For Organizing!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Aug 31, 2012.

1. redbeard

redbeard

Wow, thanks for the right up Kirk.

I don't think I am the master of anything, but I do love building and driving hot rods.

I appreciate you sharing your experience and posting the pics, thanks again.

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

I have a shitload of respect for you, your knowledge and your hard work. No ass-kissing, just the way it is.

3. redbeard

redbeard

Bruce, I am sorry to hear you felt like we were having a "Race".

These runs are not a race nor have they ever been.

I drive my car at a speed I enjoy to drive, and there are a few other people with cars that also want to drive faster. That pack of cars usually moves ahead, and sticks together.

But there are plenty of people that drive their cars at the speed they enjoy, which is much slower.

I didn't even notice whether you were driving slower or not. It seemed like we were all together most of the day.

Honestly I try to drive faster to create some space between the cars, so it is not a parade, and you can drive at a the speed you enjoy.

The other reality is the way my cars have been geared, you have to keep up a certain speed while climbing hills so as not to lug the motor, or have to down shift into 1st gear, which would require almost stopping. So that speed may involve some tire squealing. ;)

I know some folks in the past have complained to me about how fast we drive, and usually it is because they can't keep up. And they had planned on following someone all day on the run.

That is why I hand out directions, so someone can drive at their own pace, and not have to follow someone else. Who knows that guy ahead of you might be lost himself.

I have even thought about making a passenger-navigator mandatory, since it is hard to read and drive at the same time. But I figured if the motorcycle guys can do it by themselves, we hot rodders should be able to.

I don't recall ever giving anyone any grief for driving at their own pace.

I can understand completely you wanting to shake down your car at a pace comfortable to you.

So I hope you continue to come on the runs, and enjoy them at your speed.

And I certainly don't think any of us were driving irresponsibly or immaturely.

For everyone else, if you enjoy putting your hot rod, and yourselves to the test, come on out for a drive with us.

I put on this "Roadster Run" and I also put on the Northern California RELIABILITY Run, which is open to all automobiles and trucks 1940 and earlier.

I may even bring back the May Mystery Run that is open to 1964 and earlier, we'll see.

until then

Redbeard

4. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Man that was a cool run!

Great story and pictures as always Kirk!

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

nice looking roads and views

6. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

That sounds like a lot more fun than a fairground, power parking, lawn chair sitting car show, but really, who here goes to those things? Looks like a great time and the nor cal scenery is second to none! Great write up Kirk.

7. Roadster trips are a trip!

8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

You got my attention. . .

9. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures KIRK, looks like a blast!

10. GARY?

GARY?

Great write up KIRK. Sounds like a blast. Totally missed the boat this year, maybe next. :)

11. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

Thank you for sharing what seems like an incredible way to spend a day. I've driven through the Redwoods a few times & I always feel VERY insignificant while I'm there. Thanks again for taking the time to share this!!!