Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rodders and Bikers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I don't think anyone expected it to make it a page let alone this.

2. Not that I want to put this thread back on topic or anything but Chet Herbert raced a Harley Knucklehead drag bike. The bike currently sits at Doug Herbert's Mooresville, NC shop. Doug is in the process of gathering parts and information to do a complete restoration of the bike to put it back the way it was when his father raced it.

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whoh! I REALLY tossed the excrement into the rapidly spinning cooling device, didnt I??!!:D

5. I ridea HD now when I was starting out I had 79 KZ 750 then a78 kz 1000 and dirt bikes as a kid and now. Never could do the rockets.

6. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

BUMP for the morning shift.
    Wakeup Beanno , they are calling us names now.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Phaaa! harley schmarley...:p

[​IMG]

8. Chet Herbert and his Knucklehead

[​IMG]

9. Those are some cool pics guys.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

HAAA! Bennos a closet Ducati lover, and I have the pm's to prove it...:eek::p;)

11. Seems like its a hands and knees position,
    now how in the hell are you supposed to look like a bad ass when you are curled up on your hands and knees. You know- Face down, ass up and all that.

I can't stand that sport bike position

12. The difference between a sport bike and a traditional Harley is mostly the seating position. They are 2 different bikes, built for different reasons. Sport bikes are meant for short distance, going fast hence the lie down position. Harleys are meant for long distance riding/touring like way back when we rode horses, sitting upright like a man! :)

My bike has been thru countless rain storms, hail and even a snowstorm or 3. I have pulled it out of a snowdrift (before I had a garage) with my truck to go riding. Coldest ride to date? -10F. I ride rain or shine, not in the winter so much anymore. I have ridden to Sturgis 24 times mostly in 100F heat. Somewhere north of 300k miles in total. Longest day? 700+ miles LasVegas, NV to LasVegas, NM mostly in the rain.

Specs? 1995 FLHR (had a turbo at one time) Now 110 cubes, 115 HP and 120Ft/lbs torque on a 1000 lb bike and sidecar. No heated seats, socks, vest or grips either.

For those who don't like this thread, DILLIGAF? No I clearly don't! Clear back in the early 20s hot rodders were born of bikers (entheusiasts) who wanted to go faster by modifying their bikes long before WWII when many of the hot rodders started doing it to cars after the war. Hot rodders and bikers, we are a kindred spirit.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And theres always the dreaded Hogslayer...

[​IMG]

Getting a little new for the HAMB, but hell, we are already lost in the wilderness...

14. How's this for a riding position? Rollie Free, who on Sept 13th 1948 broke the 150 mph motorcycle speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats on a modified Vincent Black Shadow. He stripped down to bathing trunks and lay flat on the bike to decrease wind resistance

[​IMG]

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whats really funny about this, is they have run parallel courses. In the fifties and sixties, bikes and hot rods were primarily about performance, and neither were considered "respectable". Now, both the hot rod scene and the Harley end of the bike scene are "respectable", performance has taken a back seat, and both are, for alot of people, about image and being seen. Everyone VOGUE!:eek:

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Now if you can do THAT for a hundred miles, you have my respect! By the way, this bike has been recently restored.

17. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

there are lots of us round here that ride these daily and do long weekend rides , like Ratfink says, you cannot beat the power and exceleration, sportbikes are the essence of hot rodding, bigger motor, more power lighter weight and handling to boot . 4 valve dual overcam motors w magnesium parts stock.
    Waddayou , can you tell of any great atributes to the chineese made, mexican assembled hardleys:p:D

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I remember the fist time i seen a guy & his ole lady riding double on a rice rocket , it looked like 2 frogs doing the dirty deed.
    FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS RIDE RICE

19. The Chinese can't make a bike let alone a part worth a crap. And lots of people say that and never offer any proof. So let's see it and not a t shirt ether.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've noticed the same thing...when I'm looking at them from BEHIND...:D

21. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

What about ducati?

Like an old american bike too.

Fonzi rides a honda.

Where is my soa t-shirt...

22. Why is this thread any different than the new Caddy that (didn't) get keyed or the campers or the boats or the bitching about (insert something here)? This thread is more on topic than most. Motorcycles are more of a "traditional" thing than vintage campers yet the sheer amount of replies tells me it's at home here.

Why do some people complain about something instead of just scrolling past? It's not that there is a shortage of topics to read without complaining.

AMEN Brother!

"Bikers" became undesireable mostly after the famous photo (STAGED) of the "drunk" biker surrounded by beer cans in Life mag The public ate that up, movies reiterated the bad biker image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Which one? Straining my brain trying to think of a bevel drive, OHC, 90 degree V-twin made in the US?? You have me stumped.

24. All I know is bikers always ask if I want to trade their Harley for my hot rod. I just figure that means they are crappy bikes :D

25. firingorder1

firingorder1

Harleys aren't crappy bikes. Good build quality. If they were "crappy" bikes they wouldn't be here today.

26. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Been riding Harleys for many years. Im still recovering from my last 70mph tumble down the freeway. Shattered my right wrist and now have a titanium plate and 12 screws holding it together. Not to mention the road rash scars. The car in front of me ran over a mattress and spit it out. It knocked me right off my bike.
    I have seen all kinds of waves over the years from other riders. As long as the guy wasn't tapping his head you are good. Means the Po Po is ahead of you.
    Harleys and Hot Rods are what makes the world go round!

Attached Files:

27. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn, I've run plumb outa popcorn! Somebody hepme!

28. slammed

slammed

You can see which points/members drove this one down. No surprise.

29. Mr.Wilson

Mr.Wilson
    BANNED

Quote: "The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide."

30. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

This was doomed from the start. Just some hamb entertainment. It happens.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.