Register now to get rid of these ads!

Michigan titles, the sky is NOT falling!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Sep 5, 2012.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

In June I applied for a title for the '48 Diamond T pickup. I had to get a surety bond for the stated value (under $2500 this isn't needed, but I thought it'd be a bit of stretch to claim it's worth less than that), provide a reciept from the seller, and fill out a simple affidavit stating it wasn't stolen, and the serial #. I have a temporary title app, which I can get plates with, but was getting worried since it's been over 60 days and I hadn't gotten the title.

So I called the Sec. of State help line to find out what was going on. Predictably, they couldn't help, but told me I had to go to my local branch.

The surety bond papers and reciept from the seller were submitted with the title, and I foolishly didn't make any copies, so I was a little apprehensive waiting my turn.

The clerk said, "I remember you, I just checked on your title yesterday because it hadn't been processed, let me check again."

A minute later she said, "It was just processed this morning at 1055, you'll have it in a few days, it'll be sent out in todays mail."

Yahoo! I'm legal! Untill this year, all one had to do with a "lost" title was walk up to the counter with $15 and say you'd had the vehicle for years and had lost the title. It still was $15, although I have to have the bond for 2 more years, but it's no big deal, and new process will undoubtably prevent some "shady" deals from happening.

Next step is to get the NOS '48 "Farm" plate registered to it, and I'm good to go!

Attached Files:

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool beans. I'd say you found yourself a good go to license person too.

4. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Great looking truck and trailer. Glad you got your title, it can sometimes be a real hassle. You couldn't get by with a Farm Plate here in Wisconsin.
    Tom

5. Model T1

Model T1

"I remember you,"

I get that all the time. Is this a good thing? Or are we just a little DIFFERENT ? I tend to think it's cause I'm so darned cute and cudely!
    Glad you have one less thing to worry about. Keep havin fun with your toys.:D

6. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Glad you had such good luck. I tried, back in the spring, no one at the local Sec of State had a clue. Including the manager..

I got busy with other projects and forgot to follow up after 90 days.. Never did get any response from them.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

A surety bond is insurance that you (or I) purchase to ensure (insure?) that the vehicle is not stolen or has other claims against it. This lets the state off the hook, if in the three years after the title is issued, someone else makes a claim for the vehicle. $9K stated value cost me $90/year via Hagarty.

Brian

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I asked, the farm plate as historic vehicle plate is fine, on a new car or truck, I'd actually have to have a farm. The fact that there's a dairy milking 2500 cows 3/4 mile from me should count anyway!

Bian

9. $90 a year seems cheap enough. As much as I like the ease of things here in NY, I know damn well the system could be easily abused, so when a state adopts reasonable standards I have no problem with it.

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You must read those bonds very carefully, it only lets the state off the hook for legal fees. It's worth the same as ass paper to the poor guy who is owning the car. It is not an insurance policy that covers the situation should a previous owner arise. After three years a statute of limitations may go into effect only if the vehicle was not stolen. Prior to the 3 year statute any who might have a case may contest you for owner ship of the property, if in fact they win the challenge it becomes theirs. You get not a thing. Best case scenario on an old wreck is that it never really had a number on it anywhere on any part. When they come out to inspect the car they write up all of the parts serial numbers if they are around, just one hot part and you have a real head ache.

It puts a real knot in your throat to have that fancy wording interpreted but there ain't much to be done about it.

11. Torchie

Torchie

Great post Brian.
    I was at the local Sec of State last week looking into the same thing.
    It was my understanding that as long as the value of the vehicle was under $2500 at the time of purchase ( not after restoration) no bond was needed.
    Maybe I misunderstood them. I will have to go out and read the paper work again.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You're right Torchie. I paid 5K for it, and I didn't want to generate problems for myself if there were any questions or issues with the Sec. State.

As far as the other comments, I try to spread a little good news, and somebody wants to piss in the corn flakes. I'm not worried about "worst case" scenarios. I have my paperwork, I did it by the numbers, and it all worked out.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  13. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

Glad to hear it will still be fairly easy to get a title here in Michigan.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Good to know, thanks for the follow up

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yup. $270, I have a title for a truck I didn't before. As I said, the state is now insured against claims against it, and willing to title a vehicle I swore I obained legitematly without paperwork, whereas they wouldn't without. I didn't pay some clown for a bogus title that may or may not be valid, or useable. I didn't commit fraud, I can get plates, and the chance someone from the trucks distant past will lay claim to it is remote in the extreme. I was willing to take that chance to buy it, and willing to accept the risk now. That's all.