Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to me 52 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmic12, Sep 5, 2012.

1. cosmic12

cosmic12

I just got this home today and have plans on chopping it soon but first I want to get the ride height where I want it. It needs to be at least 3"s lower maybe 4.
    My question is what to do in the front. Fatman IFS or has someone used something else cheaper or better, and I also want to be able to have full steering and I don't want to clip it, I have heard some bad things about the steer ability on some clip jobs. So whats everyone think.

Attached Files:

2. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I have a 53 chevy I looked into different front suspension options(I even bought a jag to use the front suspension) but after doing more research I have decided to use the stock stuff and bag it. There is ALOT of info on here make the search button your friend and you will find it. Also I set my ride height before I chopped my car to make sure it had good proportions. Good luck and keep us posted

3. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I picked up a pair of Fatman droped uprights and steering arms for $250. It brought the front end down 2.5 in. I'd like to go another 1-1.5 in. In the back I put in a set of 3 in. blocks I made up from some square tubing. Block any higher is going to put you way below the scrub line. With 3 in. blocks the driveshaft is pretty close to the tunnel, I think I could get away with another inch but any more I think would be pushing it. Pics of my ride height here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719970

The cheapest correct way to lower the front is with some dropped coil springs. Jamco has a sale going on right now, everything 15% off with code: ENDSUM15, decent deal. I've also heard good things about Coil Spring Specialties.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Rebuild the frontend... then use 53-4 uprights (1.5" lower) and some jamco drop springs... that'll be the cheapest way to get it lower.

5. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I to have been told that 53-54 uprights are 1.5 in. lower though I have also been told they are only 0.5 in. lower. Fatman says thier uprights lower 49-54 Chevys 2-2.5 in. I'm assuming 2.5 in. for 49-52 and 2 in. for 53-53 with a diffeance between the two of 0.5 in. If you went the 53-54 upright route I would make sure of how much they lowered your car, you'd hate to locate uprights and install them and not get what you're expecting.

6. cosmic12

cosmic12

It already has 2" blocks in the rear and 2" drop uprights (I still call'm spindles) but it seems to need to go lower. I would like the front rim just above the wheel opening at the top. I will ck on the springs.

7. RawDeal

RawDeal
    from Austria

thanx HUSSEY, planned to order jamco springs and just read your post with the 15% code... saved me 15% :) HAMB rocks!!!!

8. cosmic12

cosmic12

Anybody bagged one of these? I want it in the weeds and now I am thinking bag's are the answer.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you go with a FATMAN ultralow crossmember you will never look back and regret doing it.

10. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

11. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

^^X2^^ and go easy on the chop, you can really butt puke one of these up with two much chop..

12. cosmic12

cosmic12

Ya I know, I don't want to shorten up the quarter windows like most of them are when they slide the roof forward. I spent the day measure'n and tape'n and looking at different ways of doing it. I am also thinking about the hard top look as in no post's. But I need it down on the ground first.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  13. Also, you can get yours dropped by Buffalo Enterprises and use a pair of 53/53 steering arms (3/4" lower) 53/54 uprights are only a 1/2" drop. My old 50 Has this setup with 1 coil cut plus 2-1/2 blocks and Chessis engineering springs in the rear. Here's a pic. Todd

Attached Files:

14. cosmic12

cosmic12

OK maybe a dumb question but--- I have been through a bunch of the 49/52 chop threads and it appears everyone leaves the rear window frame attached and just bends it forward, is that correct? How do ya get that SS trim to look right without twisting it. I want to keep that SS band on mine. I don't get it, just seems to be part of the window opening on mine. Very very close almost covers the rubber.

15. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

We only left about two inches attatched on the center of the rear window and leaned it forward.

16. cosmic12

cosmic12

Did you cut it right on the seam of the upper line where the SS attaches?
    And thanks for the answer.

17. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

18. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

If you end up chopping your car PLEASE take a ton of pics and share them here on the HAMB. I've got about 10 Chevy Chops in my suscribed folder. All of them give some good info but none really show the chop finish to end with all the finer details. I've also heard the Tex Smith book "How to Chop Tops" is a must read.

I'd like to chop mine but I'm scared I'd ruin my car. I think the hardest part for me would be making the sail pan, I don't own an wheel and have no idea how to use one.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  19. cosmic12

cosmic12

I have chopped 2 Mercs, a 48 Ford coupe, 2 vans, a couple modle A's, a 70 Torino, a 40 Ford sedan, and a few others I forget but I have never done one of these and I look forward to doing it. I will take as many pictures as I can. It will be a long process because I travel for work and I am gone alot. I hope to get started tommarro now that I know I can't get the thing slammed the way I want it without spending a pile of $$$$$$$.

20. Tex Smiths book is awesome. I studied it for a long time before I even thought about chopping my 52. The book has a great section on 49-52 Chevys. I went with a 2.5" chop as it was the most common and the roof lines up well with that much removed.

21. cosmic12

cosmic12

I am think'n 2 1/5 in the front and seeing where chit lands in the back, I am sure it will be way more than 2.5 for the line I want.

22. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Cool man, I look forward to watching your progress. You need to get some pics up in your album of your other rides, sounds like you've got quite a collection!

23. cosmic12

cosmic12

Most if not all of the ones I've done were before the digital age and I never got pics back then or very few. The Merc in my avitar was a 50 I had back in 1976/78. I am a old dog try'n to relive some youth with this project.
    The Ford in the driveway behind the Merc is a 48 coupe with a 50 Merc roof.

Attached Files:

24. cosmic12

cosmic12

Started whack'n it today

Attached Files:

25. looking good. They look so much better with a chop.

26. BadLuck

BadLuck

great pictures!

27. cosmic12

cosmic12

Thats how I left it last night. 3"s A&B pillars not sure on the rear yet. I gotta remove the upper section on the quarter windows and move them back now to get the B-pillars attched.

Attached Files:

28. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Old bed frames are the best! I've got pile of them myself, use them for all kinds of stuf. I found you can pick them up at some thrift stores for next to nothing.

29. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I see your cutline was several inches above the belt line, a lot of the chops I've see was right above the belt line. I'm looking forward to seeing your method and progress.

30. 5window

5window