Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Screw It Im gonna go for it! 36 Ford coupe to be

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowcoe, Jan 17, 2011.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

+1 on lazze. If you get a chance to do his class....do it! You can learn on your own stuff and he will help you long after the class. You can break(90 degree bend on a strip of metal) using a hammerform.. shrinking can be done with hand tools but lancaster style shrinkers make things way easier. Theres some below the decklid panels i made in my 36 build thread.keep truckin man the 35/36 build threads on gere are keeping me going!

2. So Ive been reading up on all the 35/36 builds. I have come to the conclusion that I am in way over my head. Nevermind that. I put in a full day today and I had so much damn fun that you all will be sure continue to be tortured with my shoddy work..... Sorry.... The roof was set today. Heres where its at...

Attached Files:

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Are you SURE you don't want to make a Ute out of it? Third pic looks like a great start. Trunks are overrated... :)

4. Chicks dont dig Utes.... I gotta get past this point soon...

5. Mate awesome work, I really take my hat off to you! Your doing a better job then most of the "experts" on here, it's a massive massive job. Keep on truckin' :D

6. Wow rat man. That's a huge complement. Gonna try my best to live up to it! The hamb is my guide and I'll try to do my best to make you all proud.

7. Hey bud I admire the fact you had enough guts to make something from nothing. Take your time, be patient and when you get frustrated, just walk away from it for a few days. What you are doing has been done so it is possible. Please dont make a Ute out of it. Keep on keepin' on dude!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  8. Progress report:
    I got some motivation in the form of some new old parts from kb cookout. There were several areas where I had missing pieces and where I tried to whip stuff up from scratch I caught a lot of heat so I decided to rescue some unloved parts sitting in a field in kentucky and put them to good use. Most importantly is the deck lid gutter section. It looked rough in the pictures and unfortunately it is but it will make a good template so I get the dimensions right. I agonized on whether I truly wanted to extend the tail pan section but in the end I decided to go for it. I almost think I had to after lengthening the doors like I did. I ran out of welding gas so be warned these are more work in progress pictures... I promise some day Ill dress all the welds and make the thing purdy..... Here Goes.......

At last no more UTE jokes...

Attached Files:

9. Bring down the trunk lid and it will almost look like a 1938 Zephyr back end.

10. Hey neighbor! You've been busy since I last checked this thread. I'm impressed...damned impressed. Keep going!

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's looking MICH better. Must be the "bustle" left on in earlier pics made the top look like it was out of whack. Keep it up!

Brian

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Great to see your progress !

13. Great progress. Im keeping my eye on this one for sure.

14. Drivinford

Drivinford

Cool build man. Reminds me of my 37 the way ur cuttin shit up. Widen those rear fenders a few inchs to. Bad ass man good luck.

15. I checked out drivinford's 37 page. What can i say... Amazing.... If mine turns out half that good ill feel like I really accomplished something... I'm waiting for a new inner rear pan... I really wanted to save the old one for some reason but finally decided a replacement was for the best.

16. Drivinford

Drivinford

Thanks alot man, ur car will be better. Keep posting

17. lookin' great! keep up with the progress!

18. chopperdog2001

chopperdog2001
    from colorado

Looks great!! Rember if it dosen't turn out the way "everybody" likes it, but you do then it's your custom built the way you want. If Gene Winfield or Goerge Barris had stopped when people told them they couldn't do something then we would have much of a hobby. To all the guys who want to curse at this build and say he's doing it wrong......PISS OFF you go buy a 37 sedan and have the balls to cut it up and make a coupe.

19. Wardog

Wardog

Cool! This is probably the only way I could ever end up with a 36 coupe.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. Looken damn cool im diggin l thee longer zepher like tail. But I dug the uteness also

21. There are build threads..then there are "BUILD THREADS".
    Way to stay with it..really looking forward to the end result.
    Thanks for sharing the pics and updates, inspite of the naysayers.

22. Progress Report:

Well I continue gathering parts. A lead on some 37 Packard rear fenders that I thought I could use to extend my rear fenders gave me a boost. (Turns out 37 Packards are very close in contour just a bit wider.) While I was talking to the guy discovered he had a pretty nice 39 deck lid. I scooped the deck lid up on the chance that I could work it into my build. I had scoped out a 37 deck lid before but it was pretty beat so I didn't pull the trigger on that one. A few days before, here on the HAMB, 2 decent 36 deck lid skins came up for sale and, luckily, I scored them as well. Now I have a good problem, too many choices! Either way someone else is gonna get a deck lid! I'm gonna fab up a basic pair of hinges for the 39 deck lid that will allow me to move it around a bunch and find just the right position to potentially graft it in.
    Also inner and outer tail pans are in place as well as the floor section in this area. Looks like a good place to stash a battery and ??

Attached Files:

23. I came across this pic after I found the 39 deck lid. I think that's what the artist kinda had in mind when he dreamed this up. Hope he doesn't get mad if I post his picture. Instead of ribbed bumpers I'm thinking late 30s MOPAR. I loved them on the 37 Dodge I had. There on the way USPS thanks HAMB.

Attached Files:

24. Love the build threat and what you are doing. Keep the updates coming.

25. I used the fender above the wheelwells and then flipped it over to form the curve of the trunk also I plan to use the 36 deck lid because strangely the 39 lid made the car look like a 39. ImageUploadedByTJJ1351396628.902669.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1351396645.419799.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1351396673.874401.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. Progress report:
    Today I completed one of about five phases needed to complete the scratch built rear section of the coupe.
    1. Horizontal decklid surround
    2. Vertical decklid surround
    3. Decklid frame
    4. Below decklid
    5. Above and beside decklid
    Part 1 had been intimidating me ever since forever but it went pretty well. I scratch built the drivers side then made some templates to make sure the passenger side matched. I'm pretty sure from here on out all the exterior skin can be recycled from original Henry steel. That's my goal anyways....... ImageUploadedByTJJ1352615924.703555.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1352615949.359469.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1352615989.417390.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1352616019.051163.jpg

27. Drivinford

Drivinford

keep at it man. its coming along

28. Thanks drivin.... Please tell me that your 37 is your daily driver..... It would
    Be mine if I had it!

29. Pic of the "tool tray" area.

Attached Files:

30. Phase 2 of rear end...working on vertical " belt line " around trunk area. Forming it from scratch..... ImageUploadedByTJJ1353213700.742900.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1353213717.208259.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1353213729.717829.jpg